What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Data loss

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Data loss
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. Data loss
Hello everyone,

I'm sad to report that today, my hard disk miserably failed, taking all my data with it. For the past 10 hours I've been trying to restore my data, I went to the store to buy a new big hard drive for data recovery (that's from a temporary Windows installation that I'm writting this message) and I still don't know how much data I won't be able to save.

Don't worry, the source code of Messenger Plus! is safely backed up, however, I may lose many files that are the result of months of work (I can't backup 80Gb of file on my Tape Backup, however, you can be assured that from now on, I'll use my new 250Gb drive to do full backups). I don't know how a new drive like mine can get messed up so quickly and easily but in any case, I still got many hours to put to try to recover a maximum of stuff. Messenger Plus! 3 will probably get delayed because of that event, even if I'll try my best to get back some of the time lossed due to this problem.

I'm now going back to my numerous file restore programs, have fun while I'm away.
Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-17-2004 05:39 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Data loss
Damn it that really sucks :undecided:
i hope u dont lose too many files patch and do ur best to recover them (Y)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
02-17-2004 05:43 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

Patchou, i know how it feels to lose alot of work.. however just try to stick to it and keep developing..

The whole community is behind you :)
02-17-2004 05:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ranicx

Abstract Artist

38 / Male / –
:O .. damn .. that realy has to suck.. there is a program that can view deleted files and stuff on hard drives and recover them (if they havent been writen over), but i duno the name of it sorry.. but there is a program out there that cna do it!

best of luck anyway
~ranicx is a: Abstract Artist @ DeviantArt
|| Program skills: Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, Cinema4D, Apophysis ||
ex-MSN Messenger skinner        :wink:
- ranicx-design -
02-17-2004 05:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
martin

37 / Male / –
* martin slaps fault hard drive around a bit with a large trout.
good thing u had it all backed up
02-17-2004 05:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
damn..... that really sucks (as Chromo said)

hope the recovery thing gets some important data and you don't loose important things :P

and it's good to hear that the source code of Messenger Plus! is safely backed up :P
02-17-2004 05:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
:S
I'm behind you aswell....

I know how it feels when you loose Mega/Gigabytes of data. Happend to me also a couple of times. It's a very hard lesson to learn... When it happend, I stared to my comp for 30 minutes like a zombie. Then I was realy (and I mean realy) pissed. After that I begon the painstaking low-level data recovery, both manualy (fat tables, partitition tables and dir structures where *beeped* up like hell) as using some powerfull tools....
It took me some weeks, after that I recovered 60% of my data and viewed every byte of my HD.... I will never forget it...

Anyways, good luck....

This post was edited on 02-17-2004 at 06:14 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-17-2004 06:01 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Data loss
Thank you for your so fast support. It's just sooooo long before I'm able to see a result. I had 183,000 files on my disk and I can't be sure of the vailidity of any of them, even if they have been restored. As I already experienced something like that 5 years ago, I'm doing backups for the important data (source code, emails, documents, ...) but there are stuff like pictures, personal video files, work-in-progress, downloaded tools etc that are not on backup. But as I said, I know paid a heavy price for a new big HD (I didn't even knew they were making 250GB hard drives before I got to tyhe store and asked "quick! what's the biggest disk you've got?"). As it seems I won't be able to completely restore my system, I'll have to reinstall everything, that's tiem consuming, it's boring, and I already did it a month ago when I got my new computer. Even worse: before I can do that, I'll have to get a replacement disk from AlienWare.

Ok, I'll stop whining about it. I just hope it's not the result of a virus.
Patch
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-17-2004 06:03 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
personal video files
Like a new Patchou-spears? :-o

There is actually a line of dodgy hard drives that are doing the rounds at the moment.. But i doubt Alienware (:drool:) would be using them in their awesome systems.

Maybe this means you can play Final Fantasy or something while your programs reinstall?

(Just trying to look to the other side of things).
02-17-2004 06:11 AM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Maybe this means you can play Final Fantasy or something while your programs reinstall?

Or make a new Patate Spears video :D

Remember, things write themselves a lot faster second time round (so unless you're so amazing that you can program faster than you can type, you won't take so long to catch up).  That's what always encourages me when I lose stuff.

In all my crappy computers though, I have never, ever had a hard disk failure... I don't know if it's just luck, or I don't do enough to wear it out - anyway, hard luck

[offtopic] Chris you have 666 posts (6)
02-17-2004 10:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: