What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Filetransfer status in the chatwindow

Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
Poll: Who would want a filetransfer status icon, placed somewhere in the chatwindow?
YES!!!
No
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
1 votes - 5 average   Filetransfer status in the chatwindow
Author: Message:
ChronoGSM

O.P. Filetransfer status in the chatwindow
I was hoping someone else whould have this idea or suggestion:

I use the MSN messenger quite often to tranfer some files to my other pals online. You can have 3 active filetransfers (up or down) at a time. This is a handy option of the messenger and i use it a lot.

BUT....

Imagine this: You are transferring a quite large file whiche takes quite a while to complete. In the mean time you keep on chatting with your pal and a while later you wonder what the status of the transfer is.
Right now, the only way is to scroll wayyyyyy back up to find the filetransfer in the window. This on itself it quite annoying, but if your pal sends you a message while you are scrolling, the chat window autoimatically returns to the end-line of the chat..... so you can start scrolling all over again.... VERY annoying!!

So, what i would like as a new option in MsgPlus, is a filetransferstatus, somewhere in a fixed place in the chatwindow (for instance in the same bar the MgsPlus developers put the new MsgPlus menu icon).
These icons can be very simple icons when you click or point at it, you get the exact details of the filetransfer.
(or something like that). You can make an upload-icon green and a download optionyellow, for instance.

Like i said, i was surprised that no-one has asked this before, so now i will ;)

So, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,  add this feature........ I would considder that an other "in your face, Microsoft" response to the msn developers.... lol

This post was edited on 05-28-2004 at 07:39 PM by ChronoGSM.
05-27-2004 07:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Filtetransfer status in the chatwindow
In a old version or Windows Messenger you could see how much of the file was left to send (in bytes/kbytes/mbytes)
[Image: signature.php]
05-27-2004 08:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ChronoGSM

O.P. RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow
Right! in the old versions, microsoft had that covered... but since version 6, there are no usefull statuses..... now you can't monitor the transfer easily anymore.... the only way is to scroll way back up towads the transfer
So is MsgPlus would have this option put in, in their way, it would be another triumph for th MsgPlus team...

After all, most of us use MNS 6 now, so, this would be a good option
05-27-2004 08:09 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow
i dunno if its possible to implement such feature, but its certainly a very good idea (Y)

Btw, nice nickname :lol: ;)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
05-27-2004 08:14 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lhunath

.{ Lord Daisy }.

39 / Male / –
Sounds as good as it sounds impossible to implement
{ -[Image: lhunath.gif]- }
05-27-2004 08:17 PM
ChronoGSM

Hey the team of MsgPlus has done MANY things that were thought impossible... but they did it anyway!

Creating that icon is childsplay, they've shown that with the new menu-icon in version 3 of Plus!..... so an icon the same way, but now one that can monitor the filetransfers (it should be possible to monitor the msn's own transferstatur, in the background...... i think
05-27-2004 08:28 PM
ChronoGSM

i have noticed some other people use the nam chrono... so i adjusted min a bit (long time ago_........ it used to be a nickname specially for my mobile phone for many years (hence the GSM part), but it kinda got stuck everywhere, and that seemed to be a nunique name... lol :P... so u use it everywhere now

This post was edited on 05-27-2004 at 08:58 PM by ChronoGSM.
05-27-2004 08:33 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
the idea is good, i agree that plus should add that option. however the best would be that microsoft adds that feature itself :P
quote:
Originally posted by ChronoGSM
Right now, the only way is to scroll wayyyyyy back up to find the filetransfer in the window. This on itself it quite annoying, but if your pal sends you a message while you are scrolling, the chat window autoimatically returns to the end-line of the chat..... so you can start scrolling all over again.... VERY annoying!!
you can click on the converation window while you're scrolling. When you do that, if your contact sends a message the window won't return to the end but to the point where the cursor is (where you're clicking while scrolling up). ;)
quote:
Hey the team of MsgPlus has done MANY things that were thought impossible... but they did it anyway!
this will seem more impossible to you: The messenger plus team is only one person. He's called Patchou. He has done all what you see in Plus. :P
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Btw, nice nickname
:XP: :P
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
05-27-2004 08:59 PM
ChronoGSM

First of all, i applaud the work of Patchou...  He know exactly the things people want..... i only whish MSN had that same dedication to the people.

And i know MSN should be the one to implement this, and i have spend a few mails about this, and the only reply i got was "we will discuss this with our development team"
This was at the very beginning of MSN6, even in the bèta stage.... and now we have version 6.2, but still no imporvement in that particular option.

So now i put all my hopes on Patchou :P;)
05-27-2004 09:06 PM
lhunath

.{ Lord Daisy }.

39 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by lhunath
Sounds as good as it sounds impossible to implement
quote:
Read again what I said, I didn't say it was impossible, now did I ? ;)

This post was edited on 05-27-2004 at 09:28 PM by lhunath.
{ -[Image: lhunath.gif]- }
05-27-2004 09:27 PM
Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: