What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts"

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
Would you like an option in your "User CP" to show/hide T&T threads in the "Latest Posts"-page?
This poll is closed.
YES, I would like that a lot (those damn spammers)... 21 75%
NO, I'm a spammer and I want to annoy everybody with my useless stuff... 7 25%
Total: 28 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

[request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts"
Author: Message:
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts"
I don't agree with Surfi. There are lots of helpers who sometimes need some leisure after their hard non-profit support session.
However, what is not acceptable is that there are people (sorry Omar, I'm sure you get my point :wink:) who post more in T&T than in other forums, and that's exactly not the point of this Community.
IMPOV: Let's have some leisure, but let's stick to the aim of these forums.

As for techinque, there could be set a harder limit for posts in T&T whether posted in it, moved or splitted. Something like "100 posts in T&T per week" or similar should be enough.

This post was edited on 06-07-2004 at 01:50 PM by KeyStorm.
06-07-2004 01:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by martin
well if by chance u do add it, could u make it so that its easly changable
Yeah...
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe
You can add a like like "show thereds that i have posted" at the bottom sayin' "Exclude all T&T posts" :D
I'm planning to do something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I would like the whole forum deleted
Noooooooooo! :blah:

:p

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
There are lots of helpers who sometimes need some leisure after their hard non-profit support session.
Agreed.
quote:
Let's have some leisure, but let's stick to the aim of these forums.
Agreed.

quote:
You so called "spammers" can probably go somewhere else and do your spamming because these forums are more support and technical forums than for spamming.
* WDZ doesn't know where else to go... :p

Going to a different board just isn't the same... you have to register a new separate account there, deal with different members, possibly deal with different forum software, etc. Also, if you want to talk about something related to MsgPlus! or this board, nobody there would know what the hell you're talking about, or be able to participate. It wouldn't be as much fun, and I believe people would still spam here.

quote:
Something like "100 posts in T&T per week" or similar should be enough.
^o) Some people sometimes post almost that much per day... :p
06-07-2004 02:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Some people sometimes post almost that much per day...

Yeah, that's way too much spam.

Or say, warn member after X different posts reported, X different posts splitted, or deleted.
These are the members who cause most spam in here, not those who open a thread in T&T and spam controlled.

There are people who post such nonsense into TechTalk or GCC for the grace of posting, that I'm sometimes afraid to tell them they don't have to spam, and I don't want to report all dodgy posts (that'd be way too much work for me :grin:).

There are also people who are posting freaks, but they hardly post on a MP! related forum, they're always in TT, GCC and T&T. Are they supposed to be posting freaks in a Community about Messenger Plus!? Some prefer to talk about CS, Halo or latest MS beta leak.
Sure it's interesting for some people, but that should be controlled in some way...

And what is more sad: people concerned with arising their post counts... :dodgy: But well, that's something we can't control...

Edit: This is one of the reasons I encourage the Reputation system per posts, in this way we regard posts objectively not overall behaviours (which is obviously subjective and unaccurate).
(the old POST vs. MEMBER - based rep. system :refuck:)

This post was edited on 06-07-2004 at 02:52 PM by KeyStorm.
06-07-2004 02:49 PM
Sk3tch
Veteran Member

We are Samurai, the keyboard cowboys

38 / Male / –
quote:
I would like the whole forum deleted because its what causes a lot of the spam around here.. People know they can get away with it so they post crap in any forum they want and all we do is move it to T&T or delete it.

You so called "spammers" can probably go somewhere else and do your spamming because these forums are more support and technical forums than for spamming.
If i am correct, T&T is for testing and trashing right? Ok.. so then if i am correct, testing and trashing is for testing features/themes/anything on the boards and trashing is.. well.. what is trashing? ^o) Obviously the T&T post ratings have dramatically increased in the last.. erm.. 2 to 3 months, and its because a lot of new members have joined.. need i say more. Its not a bad thing to have posts in T&T as KeyStorm says, leisure is good to have as well. However, when you click that nice friendly latest posts link and find the page full up with T&T like "Oo.... im bored... lets spam..." and "New game.. say something bad about the person before you.." well.. you can see what i mean. Thus: why not improve/change the rules for T&T in a sense that would inevitably stop the "spamming" as it is now, and bring it down to a reasonable level of tolerance. I don't really have any ideas in mind for new rules or restrictions, but even if you had something to restict the amount of T&T posts a user could make, or even just state that there thread postings will be monitored and if over the top, then ban them. Either way if you (The admins, mods and members) are unhappy about the amount of T&T you are getting, then do something about it..  but removing it will not help at all. As much as T&T tends to "spam" the forum, it also helps it in certain ways.

Anyway, this idea of the option to remove the T&T posts from the latest posts page is a good idea never the less, so im looking forward to it if WDZ adds it :)
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Originally posted by Chloe
You can add a like like "show thereds that i have posted" at the bottom sayin' "Exclude all T&T posts"

I'm planning to do something like that.
(Y)
quote:
There are also people who are posting freaks, but they hardly post on a MP! related forum, they're always in TT, GCC and T&T. Are they supposed to be posting freaks in a Community about Messenger Plus!? Some prefer to talk about CS, Halo or latest MS beta leak.
Sure it's interesting for some people, but that should be controlled in some way...
I agree
quote:
And what is more sad: people concerned with arising their post counts...  But well, that's something we can't control...
Yeah.. it is sad :-/

This post was edited on 06-07-2004 at 03:00 PM by Sk3tch.
Sk3tch@Microsoft.com - Email
- 53 6B 33 74 63 68 34 64@hotmail.com - Messenger
06-07-2004 02:58 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Edit: This is one of the reasons I encourage the Reputation system per posts, in this way we regard posts objectively not overall behaviours (which is obviously subjective and unaccurate).
Blah... you can do the same abuse with the post system... every post has a username next to it that you can read... :p

While the MyBB reputation system was enabled, we saw those problems... certain members seemed to be "targeted"... :-/
06-07-2004 03:17 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
Yeah, but apart from abusing (which can be done with both systems, and that is the reason why only some selected members have allowed to give rep.) I still think that rating posts is essentially more accurate than rating the global impression of someone (which is based in the posts anyway)...

btw, soz for the off-topic reference.

Back to the discussion :wink:
06-07-2004 03:21 PM
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
How about a drop down menu saying exclude this forums or view just this forum. That way people with a certain area of expertise can help people within it faster.
[Image: 7.png]
06-08-2004 01:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
is this feature going to be added ? coz i would really like it to be, i find it really annoyin when lookin through the latest posts, most of them are just spam, this makes it hard to find proper posts in which people need help or advise
07-02-2004 11:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kafman

35 / Male / Flag
WDZ you are an admin of this forums, you MUST give the example of a good behavior, not spamming around like you confirmed with your vote, other way, I'm not saying that an elite, a moderator or an admin can't spam in T&T, but in that vote you confirm that you are supporting that annoying spammers.
Maybe I am mistaken, maybe not.
[Image: sig.png]
07-03-2004 01:51 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Actually, I don't agree with either option. I just voted "no" because I don't want T&T excluded. :-/
07-03-2004 01:58 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: