What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » internet explorer hijack by msgplus!!

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
internet explorer hijack by msgplus!!
Author: Message:
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: internet explorer hijack by msgplus!!
no its not virus's are harmful to your computer, adware just adds programs (like toolbars)

and as for you not tellin it to do, yes u did. u accepted to install the program !

[Image: mp3_sponsoroption.png]

This post was edited on 07-24-2004 at 11:17 PM by toddy.
07-24-2004 11:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Oldtimer
It does things to my computer that I haven't told it to do, that I don't want it to do, and that I can't make it stop doing.
During installation, you agreed to the license agreement of the sponsor program. Hereby, you gave it permission to install.

The uninstall instructions as given on these forums should work, however, if they do not work for you - and I read that you could only enter 5 digits, which I'd never heard about before - that looks like a problem. Maybe that should need some looking into.

quote:
Virus, adware. Same thing.
Not even close, actually.
07-24-2004 11:15 PM
Oldtimer

67 / Male / –
That's B***S***

First of all, that dialog is purposely made to look like a standard license agreement, and we all know that noone reads those.

Secondly, I cannot agree to something which I'm not fully aware of the consequences of. "A sponsor program" is not the same thing as a stupid adware. Much as I like(d) to sponsor Messenger Plus, I don't want my computer riddled with adware.

Which I still think is akin to a virus.
07-24-2004 11:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Oldtimer

67 / Male / –
This whole attitude "it's your own fault, you didn't read the fine print" is stupid and damaging for the image of Messenger Plus.

I know insurance companies get away with murder by referring to their fine print, but we all know what we think of their tactics.

Hiding adware in an otherwise nice product is a horrible way to gain a good reputation. Technically, adware and virus are different things, but morally they are the same.
07-24-2004 11:24 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
we all know that noone reads those
well u better start reading them ! otherwise u will never know what you are installin on your comnputer.
quote:
Secondly, I cannot agree to something which I'm not fully aware of the consequences of
if u read it, then it does tell you what is installed.
quote:
"A sponsor program" is not the same thing as a stupid adware
what ?  a sponsor program can be any type of program.
quote:
I don't want my computer riddled with adware.
no one made u install the sponsor program
[edit]
quote:
Hiding adware in an otherwise nice product is a horrible way to gain a good reputation
the program is not hiden !!!!  and if it was not included there would be no messenger plus, as the sponsor provides most of the money needed to make the program.

This post was edited on 07-24-2004 at 11:28 PM by toddy.
07-24-2004 11:24 PM
Oldtimer

67 / Male / –
Thank you for your really good advice. Very helpful...
07-24-2004 11:29 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
That's B***S***

First of all, that dialog is purposely made to look like a standard license agreement, and we all know that noone reads those.

Secondly, I cannot agree to something which I'm not fully aware of the consequences of. "A sponsor program" is not the same thing as a stupid adware. Much as I like(d) to sponsor Messenger Plus, I don't want my computer riddled with adware.

Which I still think is akin to a virus.
Before you start rambling on how much you think the Sponsor app is like a virus or even adware learn what the terms mean.

Virus: A program or piece of code that is loaded onto your computer without your knowledge and runs against your wishes. Viruses can also replicate themselves. All computer viruses are manmade. A simple virus that can make a copy of itself over and over again is relatively easy to produce. Even such a simple virus is dangerous because it will quickly use all available memory and bring the system to a halt. An even more dangerous type of virus is one capable of transmitting itself across networks and bypassing security systems.

Spyware: Any software that covertly gathers user information through the user's Internet connection without his or her knowledge, usually for advertising purposes. Spyware applications are typically bundled as a hidden component of freeware or shareware programs that can be downloaded from the Internet; however, it should be noted that the majority of shareware and freeware applications do not come with spyware. Once installed, the spyware monitors user activity on the Internet and transmits that information in the background to someone else. Spyware can also gather information about e-mail addresses and even passwords and credit card numbers.

Adware: (1) A form of spyware that collects information about the user in order to display advertisements in the Web browser based on the information it collects from the user's browsing patterns.
(2) Software that is given to the user with advertisements already embedded in the application.

Definitions used from WebOpedia.com

Now the reason why the Sponsor Agreement looks like a standard EULA is because it is. Its a standard EULA for an Application. Its not written anywhere in the world that EULA's have to be used for the program you are trying to install. Now since your given the option of installing it its not classified as Spyware/Adware, it also does no damage to your computer or even replicates itself so its not a Virus either. The sponsor simply adds Favorites, a search bar, and changes the homepage. I could do all that with a Plugin if I wanted to. But back to the point, the Sponsor program is neither of what you say it is. I rest my case.
07-24-2004 11:31 PM
Oldtimer

67 / Male / –
Thank you for your definitions. I'm quite aware of these.

I'm not debating the technical definitions, because in the end they don't matter. What does matter is the public's view of the product. Winning a legal case is not what's at stake here.

Bottom line is that Messenger Plus tries to infect (yes, infect) my computer with unwanted software. The details of how it's done or what that software should or should not be called is irrelevant. I did not want that software there and it's damn hard to get rid of.

The attitude I find at this board regarding this geniune problem is quite disturbing. I'm not rambling, I'm a customer with a complaint. Telling me that it's my own fault is a sure way to have the product bad-mouthed for a long time to come. Maybe longer than the product itself will survive.

07-25-2004 12:36 AM
cooldude_i06

I'm so cool I worry myself.

– / Male / –
RE: RE: internet explorer hijack by msgplus!!
quote:
Thank you for your definitions. I'm quite aware of these.

I'm not debating the technical definitions, because in the end they don't matter. What does matter is the public's view of the product. Winning a legal case is not what's at stake here.

Bottom line is that Messenger Plus tries to infect (yes, infect) my computer with unwanted software. The details of how it's done or what that software should or should not be called is irrelevant. I did not want that software there and it's damn hard to get rid of.

The attitude I find at this board regarding this geniune problem is quite disturbing. I'm not rambling, I'm a customer with a complaint. Telling me that it's my own fault is a sure way to have the product bad-mouthed for a long time to come. Maybe longer than the product itself will survive.

Actually you're NOT a customer at all. A customer is someone who pays for a service - Plus! is free! If you don't want to have to click an extra 2 times when installing Plus!, why don't you give Pathou a monthly salary and he'll remove it.

Hard to get rid of? You just have to uninstall Plus!!!!!!

This post was edited on 07-25-2004 at 01:13 AM by cooldude_i06.
[Image: clb2.jpg]
07-25-2004 01:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Oldtimer

67 / Male / –
Now you are just being silly. Or you don't understand what 'customer' means.

Of course I'm a customer... or rather was.

Regarding your suggestion of giving patchou a mothly salary, I can only point to a product of which I am a customer - and has been for a long time - WinZip. I paid Nico Mak his $20 a long time ago. HIS program has never intruded the way Messenger Plus did.

I remain convinced that patchou's choice of income is a bad one.
07-25-2004 01:18 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: