What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » internet explorer hijack by msgplus!!

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
internet explorer hijack by msgplus!!
Author: Message:
Oldtimer

67 / Male / –
RE: internet explorer hijack by msgplus!!
... and, no, it wasn't as easy as uninstalling. Plus went away nicely, but the sponsor program stayed behind, since I wasn't able to fit seven fuzzy digits into a textbox that only accepted five.

07-25-2004 01:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Oldtimer
... and, no, it wasn't as easy as uninstalling. Plus went away nicely, but the sponsor program stayed behind, since I wasn't able to fit seven fuzzy digits into a textbox that only accepted five.
Well Since I was the one that suggested the way of removing it I will quote my post at the bottom so everyone will know.

P.S. Sorry for being such an ass earlier, but you have to understand where I and alot of others are coming from. As  you see under our names we are Official Testers of Messenger Plus!. This means we should all be installing Plus! with the Sponsor application in order to test it. I can't speak for everone else but when testing the software found no problems. Whoppie it installs a Search bar (easily able to disable the BHO for it), Changes the Start Page, ok I know this isn't to convienent if you cant change it back but if you take time you will see that the website isn't bad at all. And as for the Favorites simply delete them 8-).

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Reinstall Messenger Plus! with the sponsor program then download and run this Lop.com Uninstaller

This post was edited on 07-25-2004 at 05:07 AM by matty.
07-25-2004 05:07 AM
cooldude_i06

I'm so cool I worry myself.

– / Male / –
RE: RE: internet explorer hijack by msgplus!!
quote:
Now you are just being silly. Or you don't understand what 'customer' means.

Of course I'm a customer... or rather was.

Regarding your suggestion of giving patchou a mothly salary, I can only point to a product of which I am a customer - and has been for a long time - WinZip. I paid Nico Mak his $20 a long time ago. HIS program has never intruded the way Messenger Plus did.

I remain convinced that patchou's choice of income is a bad one.

ok, how about this. Why dont YOU create a software as good as Plus!  but without the Sponser and I will admit that "patchou's choice of income is a bad one." Remember it's always easier to say than do.
[Image: clb2.jpg]
07-25-2004 05:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

35 / Male / –
Can't plus have some relevant text ads from google that are displayed somewhere or install the google toolbar like real and divx do??

This post was edited on 07-25-2004 at 04:14 PM by jren207.
07-25-2004 04:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jren207
Can't plus have some relevant text ads from google that are displayed somewhere or install the google toolbar like real and divx do??
ermm, it does exactly that, only it isn't from Google or DivX, but from mysearch...

quote:
Regarding your suggestion of giving patchou a mothly salary, I can only point to a product of which I am a customer - and has been for a long time - WinZip. I paid Nico Mak his $20 a long time ago. HIS program has never intruded the way Messenger Plus did.
Because it doesn't have a sponsor because it is NOT a free program. Patchou has choosen to keep Plus! free and thus he need to have an income by other means (like a sponsor advert)...

quote:
but the sponsor program stayed behind, since I wasn't able to fit seven fuzzy digits into a textbox that only accepted five.
sorry but the textbox always has (and always will) accepted 7 digits.... and if it was a fluke which you (out of the millions that install/uninstall it every day) had, why not simply try to repeat the process? Like Matty said, we have tested this software thru and thru, including the install/uninstall of the sponsor. And it never failed. Unless you destroyed the uninstall process by removing it yourself by using agressive methods. But a simply reinstall with the sponsor fixes that....

If millions of people had the problem you are describing then:
A) There IS something wrong with it
B) You had a case
C) There wouldn't be a Plus!

PS: If you don't like it, then leave it. Nobody forces you to use Plus!. (just like nobody forced you to install the sponsor)

This post was edited on 07-25-2004 at 04:47 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-25-2004 04:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Oldtimer

67 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
P.S. Sorry for being such an ass earlier, but you have to understand where I and alot of others are coming from. As  you see under our names we are Official Testers of Messenger Plus!. This means we should all be installing Plus! with the Sponsor application in order to test it. I can't speak for everone else but when testing the software found no problems. Whoppie it installs a Search bar (easily able to disable the BHO for it), Changes the Start Page, ok I know this isn't to convienent if you cant change it back but if you take time you will see that the website isn't bad at all. And as for the Favorites simply delete them 8-).
I understand that you have a vested interest in this program and that can make you a bit emotional about it. No hard feelings.

But don't underestimate the bother the sponsor program can give a normal user or the intrusiveness felt by it. Will people think it's worth the hassle? Will the reputation of Plus! suffer from it? Most people hate popup ads and those feelings can spill over on Plus!

I know it's not my decision to make whether to include the sponsor program or not (or how to warn people of it), but I for one will keep using my Messenger without Plus!... sorry.

Thanks for the uninstall help, though.
07-25-2004 05:11 PM
Oldtimer

67 / Male / –
RE: RE: RE: internet explorer hijack by msgplus!!
quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
ok, how about this. Why dont YOU create a software as good as Plus!  but without the Sponser and I will admit that "patchou's choice of income is a bad one." Remember it's always easier to say than do.
Wow, that's really good advice...

While you're cooling your temper a bit, I can tell you that I DO create software every day. That's been my profession during the last twenty years and my hobby ten years before that.

But even without that background, I can still have an opinion about something which really boils down to a marketing and business decision, can't I?
07-25-2004 05:16 PM
Oldtimer

67 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Because it doesn't have a sponsor because it is NOT a free program. Patchou has choosen to keep Plus! free and thus he need to have an income by other means (like a sponsor advert)...

I know WinZip is not a free program, it's shareware. I was merely pointing to a different way of getting income that seems to work very well. Patchou has chosen a different way. But there ARE more options than having to give patchou a mothly salary.

Patchou can choose any method he likes, and I can give my opinion about his choice.

quote:
quote:
but the sponsor program stayed behind, since I wasn't able to fit seven fuzzy digits into a textbox that only accepted five.
sorry but the textbox always has (and always will) accepted 7 digits.... and if it was a fluke which you (out of the millions that install/uninstall it every day) had, why not simply try to repeat the process? Like Matty said, we have tested this software thru and thru, including the install/uninstall of the sponsor. And it never failed. Unless you destroyed the uninstall process by removing it yourself by using agressive methods. But a simply reinstall with the sponsor fixes that....

If millions of people had the problem you are describing then:
A) There IS something wrong with it
B) You had a case
C) There wouldn't be a Plus!

If I could be bothered, I could probably reproduce the problem. And if I could find the time, I could probably tell you what the problem is. But I really don't feel like spending any more time on this. It has already wasted enough of my time.

I can assure you that I tried a simple uninstall before I used any "agressive" methods. I tried it several times. The textbox simply beeped at the sixth character.

That you just dismiss this "fluke" as easily as that, doesn't speak well for your QA process. Personally, I'd be very interested to find such an unexpected behaviour in a program that I distributed (even if I didn't write it myself, like that sponsor program). Maybe I take "flukes" more seriously...

quote:
PS: If you don't like it, then leave it. Nobody forces you to use Plus!. (just like nobody forced you to install the sponsor)

Nobody ever forces me to use ANY programs. And all things considered, I'll take your advice in this case.
07-25-2004 05:32 PM
milette

Huh?  Sponsor Program is a PARASITE!
The sponsor program is a PARASITE. Do a search for LOP and see what kind of wonderful thing is now installed on your system.

You don't even NEED to allow the sponsor program to install -- all you need to do is allow the Messenger Plus "Update" to run and you're INFECTED!

This is a PARASITE, a VIRUS, a TROJAN. Unless, of course you WANT to have new toolbars TAKING OVER your system and your screen. TOP AND BOTTOM.

I WAS happy with the application until I ran this 'update' and suddenly found my system INFECTED. It was only after doing a search for spyware and parasites that I finally discovered that Messenger Plus was the CAUSE.

If infecected, just try <Ctrl><Alt><Del> to pull up "Task Manager" -- you'll see two processes that LOOK like Internet Explorer -- try to kill them -- JUST TRY -- and you'll see that the bastards won't DIE.

I am VERY disappointed by this kind of infection being placed on my system by what APPEARS to be an honest and legitimate program that Messenger Plus 'professes' to be.

I have BANNED Messenger Plus from being installed on any computers in my organization and recommend you do the SAME!

Of course, this post will probably be GONE by the time I hit the Post button -- however, it needed to be said. DON'T INSTALL THIS PARASITE! You will be SORRY!
11-06-2004 06:10 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by milette
Do a search for LOP and see what kind of wonderful thing is now installed on your system.
The sponsor program is not "LOP" as those sites describe. It is a very trimmed down package, which can be easily uninstalled. Patchou makes every effort to ensure this.

quote:
all you need to do is allow the Messenger Plus "Update" to run and you're INFECTED!
The update will do nothing more than automatically download and run the same installer you can download manually. See Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates for more information.

quote:
This is a PARASITE, a VIRUS, a TROJAN.
It is not. The sponsor program adds a toolbar to Internet Explorer, changes your homepage and adds some favourites and shortcuts on your desktop. It is not a virus. It is not a trojan.

quote:
new toolbars TAKING OVER your system and your screen.
You mean a new toolbar being added? That is not taking over a system or screen. Do note that you install it yourself, and that it can be removed easily by following the instructions at How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor.

quote:
I am VERY disappointed by this kind of infection being placed on my system by what APPEARS to be an honest and legitimate program that Messenger Plus 'professes' to be.
What infection are you talking about? Messenger Plus! is a honest program. It contains an optional sponsor program. This can easily be removed if installed (by accident).

quote:
I have BANNED Messenger Plus from being installed on any computers in my organization and recommend you do the SAME!
Why? There is no good reason to do so. You need to accept the sponsor in order for it to be installed, and you can remove it easily if you would like afterwards.
11-06-2004 06:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: