What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » mp3 music

Pages: (7): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
mp3 music
Author: Message:
MetalBlade

Metallica Rules!

37 / Male / –
O.P. mp3 music
Hey guys. I was just thinking around for a new, controversial thread that will undoubtedly bring the world to its knees, and I think I've struck it. What's all your opinions on the whole 'downloading of mp3' versus 'actually going out to the shops and buying the music' issue? I imagine a lot of you use Kazaa and all that, and I myself am against the idea of free downloads of music, because it robs collective artists of billions of dollars every year. What do you guys think?
06-28-2004 05:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
RE: mp3 music
I only download what I like the sound of, the fact I download from original bought CD's doesn't enter it.  As a UK resident it is illegal to even RIP your own CD's for PERSONAL use.

I have a MP3 player (not an iPod due to my hatred of that brand) and how am I supposed to get MY MUSIC onto it other than to RIP it or download it off the net.  Screw the legality of it Is ay, I paid for it I should be able to RIP it so I can use it on my MP3 player.

I have downloaded songs before, but I 90% of the time go out and buy a CD it is on (Car has a CD Player & parties need CD's) so that should not be a crime.

Just my 2 pennies worth ;)
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
06-28-2004 06:59 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
Whys a song worth 99c? Artists hardly make a profit anyway. Download Korn- Y'all want a single (the video clip) and you'll see some facts.
I download single songs (not albums or dvds e.t.c) because i like that one song, singles are a rip off $5 for one song you will listen to and two or three remixes that you wont, and for $3, you can buy a top quality cd with a case to burn as many songs as u want.

I buy an album when i like the whole, or most of it. when they stop making an album with 3 good tracks and 15 tracks of S*it i'll buy it. Not saying i dont buy CD's because i have two 80-stackers next to my desk, full of audio cd's and a few computer cds. id say 60% of the time i buy the cd.
06-28-2004 07:37 AM
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
it is illegal to even RIP your own CD's for PERSONAL use.

Now I always got told you were allowed to make a copy of your disks.  As long as it is for your own personal use.

As for downloading music, why not?  I wouldn't have bought half the albums I have if I didnt download music!  TBH I wouldnt be as interested in Hip Hop if it wasnt for Kazaa Napster and Ftp sites. 

Music downloads is beneficial to some of us as long as you dont abuse it.  I have over 1000 Mp3's but I have nearly 200 CDs most of which have the same songs on.  i just bought the albums because I liked the sound of a particular artist or album
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
06-29-2004 09:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vazza

– / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
it is illegal to even RIP your own CD's for PERSONAL use.
quote:
Originally posted by Wabz

Now I always got told you were allowed to make a copy of your disks.  As long as it is for your own personal use.

Yeah, thats right. you can make a copy as long as you don't use the two CDs at the same time.

As for downloading music, I sit on the fence. I mean, if you go abroad on holiday and you hear one song from a singer/band that you've never heard of before, that you really like then come back home, and you want to hear more, then yeah, you probably will download to hear more of their stuff because thats probably the only way to do it. Also, you may not be able to get the CD in your home country except throught a website like Amazon. However there was a song, XTM - Fly on the Wings of Love, which was only released on CD because so many people were downloading it from the net. So as far as I am concern it can be both a good and bad thing.
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7271 days, 22 hours, 55 minutes, 38 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
06-29-2004 11:05 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This has been discussed so many times before (and the world still exists... hehehe...).... search the forums ;)

This post was edited on 06-29-2004 at 11:14 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-29-2004 11:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nitemistress

Do your parents know you read this?

66 / Female / –
I was just in fact reading this and you may or may not be interested but it might clear up the issue from the Canadian stand point anyway.

Canadian Ruling made June 30
07-02-2004 05:05 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

lol, i do it all the time ;) in fact i've downloaded at least 200 songs since march..
07-02-2004 05:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Edu115

i don't buy cds, i just download them on the web.. and so what?
[Image: sign.jpg]
07-02-2004 08:10 PM
sim1

what i usually do:

i go download some songs from a cd and evaluate them

if i see that it worth that i buy the cd so ill go and buy at the shop...
07-02-2004 09:12 PM
Pages: (7): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: