What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » mp3 music

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 » Last »
mp3 music
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: mp3 music
quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
Well, downloading a song IS illegal, as CookieRevised said. However, take a look at the inflation.

The way a typical $15.00 should be priced:

$0.80 MAXIMUM per CD
$0.50 MAXIMUM per case (these are very cheap, look at the prices at your local store for CD cases)
$2.00 for the artist for the "Thought in there song"
$2.00 for the recording company and studio time
=========
$5.30 is the price you must figure a CD should be

Thats very affordable, Plus it will generate more revenue. (More people will buy something cheaper than something expensive).  Multiply that and the artist/record company/cd companies/cd case companies get $5,300,000 PER every 1,000,000 Albums Sold.

And let's say that 1 million copies are sold, then they would be making over 5 million dollars for a couple songs that took them maybe a 3 or 4 weeks to do....but I think around $7 would be more accurate for a CD than $5, for profit reasons :P
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
07-03-2004 07:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Well, downloading a song IS illegal, as CookieRevised said. However, take a look at the inflation.

$0.80 MAXIMUM per CD
$0.50 MAXIMUM per case (these are very cheap, look at the prices at your local store for CD cases)
=========

Thats very affordable, Plus it will generate more revenue. (More people will buy something cheaper than something expensive).  Multiply that and the artist/record company/cd companies/cd case companies get $5,300,000 PER every 1,000,000 Albums Sold.
And where are the printing costs for the booklets and leaflets, and where are the costs for the promo, and where are the costs for the distributers, etc... etc...? And besides all that, all those prices are expenses (the money to buy the raw material, machinery maintenance, etc), not profits; every section of it will charge a small profit of course, otherwise there is no point in doing all work....

This post was edited on 07-03-2004 at 08:01 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-03-2004 07:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
These figures are ridiculous. What are they based on, 8,000,000 singles sold? 25 sold? Its impossible to use figures to prove a point like this. It all works on economies of scale.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And where are the printing costs for the booklets and leaflets, and where are the costs for the promo, and where are the costs for the distributers, etc... etc...?
Any large record label would obviously have relations with large printing organisations, surely it would only cost pennies for a CD cover from EMI's printing partner?

This post was edited on 07-03-2004 at 08:01 PM by Johnny_Mac.
07-03-2004 08:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
That's beside the point and only an example of missing costs (like merchandising, which goes together with promo, but is also needed to get a CD on the market, and I can think of more things...)

But what I wanna show is that such calculations (widely used by many people to show that a CD should costs almost nothing) are in fact very very incomplete and don't show the whole picture....

That doesn't change the fact that some CD's are indeed to expensive or that some stores charge to much money for some albums... But overall, a CD is priced very fairly... be sure of that....

Also, the arguments that selling a CD on the net is cheaper so why not use the same prices in the stores are wrong. If a CD is ONLY sold on the net then you cut out many costs (like store-profit, distributers-profits/costs, people to do the promo "on the street", etc...) So that's why CD's sold ONLY on the net are often cheaper. That doesn't mean they can sell them for the same price in the store because that includes more costs....

like some artists say themselfs: "If the song isn't officialy put on the net and you download it, then that's stealing our hard earned money. But if that illegal downloaded song makes you buy the CD, then that's great, but still stays a bit wrong... Downloading full CD's of the net is stupid and keeps us from earning the money to make more music." <= collective quote from some bands currently playing on Rock Werchter...

This post was edited on 07-03-2004 at 08:14 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-03-2004 08:03 PM
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
They are also forgetting Marketing, Gigs and the fact that some have to HIRE a band to make it (Dave Grohl doesn't of course).
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-03-2004 08:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
On this topic.

I'm a bit pissed actually.

I bought a single off MSN Music (UK) yesterday. I downloaded the track, which I only recieved 1 track off a normal single (which has 3 tracks... others usually being B sides)

In the United Kingdom that CD (with 2 additional tracks) would have cost me £2.99 (or less) from a store. This one track from it cost me 99p. Fair enough, I was happy with that. I wanted to support music.

Now I come to put my new downloaded and fully paid for single on a CD. And it tells me I'm not allowed as its a violation of the copyright?

My point is I should have just have borrowed my mates copy of the CD and copied the thing for myself and used my own 99p disk.

I thought I'd do a decent thing and buy a single online to support the industry, when in the end im gonna copy my mates CD so i can use it in my CD player anyway! I dont see how this system will work.

This post was edited on 07-03-2004 at 08:19 PM by Johnny_Mac.
07-03-2004 08:17 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Also, the arguments that selling a CD on the net is cheaper so why not use the same prices in the stores are wrong. If a CD is ONLY sold on the net then you cut out many costs (like store-profit, distributers-profits/costs, people to do the promo "on the street", etc...) So that's why CD's sold ONLY on the net are often cheaper. That doesn't mean they can sell them for the same price in the store because that includes more costs

what more costs ?
if it is been sold on the internet, the internet site sill adds there profit onto it. so that is like the store-profit.  The artist still need to do promo's otherwise no one would know about the cd. there are also things like the running of the site cost that need to be added.

07-03-2004 08:25 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Well, downloading a song IS illegal, as CookieRevised said
We established that a long time ago.

quote:

$0.80 MAXIMUM per CD
=========
You seem to be forgetting the cover art design, which is an extra thing, as well as the production of the CD's, the shipment to stores and other countries, etc.
07-03-2004 11:05 PM
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
On this topic.

I'm a bit pissed actually.

I bought a single off MSN Music (UK) yesterday. I downloaded the track, which I only recieved 1 track off a normal single (which has 3 tracks... others usually being B sides)

In the United Kingdom that CD (with 2 additional tracks) would have cost me £2.99 (or less) from a store. This one track from it cost me 99p. Fair enough, I was happy with that. I wanted to support music.

Now I come to put my new downloaded and fully paid for single on a CD. And it tells me I'm not allowed as its a violation of the copyright?

My point is I should have just have borrowed my mates copy of the CD and copied the thing for myself and used my own 99p disk.

I thought I'd do a decent thing and buy a single online to support the industry, when in the end im gonna copy my mates CD so i can use it in my CD player anyway! I dont see how this system will work.

DRM (Digital Rights Management) strikes.  Thisis M$'s new angle on MP3's designed to stop just what you are doing, copying to a CD.  By doing that you would Violate UK Copyright Laws.  It sucks yeah, but it's what is happening nowadays.

It's good to support the industry but they need to cut us at least some slack.  I bought a MP3 Player not long ago & break the Law by having music on it that I ripped from CD's even though I bought the CD's.

We should try to get a petition up for a change in the Law to allow personal backups & legal rights to Copy Music from OUR OWN CD's to MP3 Players.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-03-2004 11:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
DRM (Digital Rights Management) strikes.  Thisis M$'s new angle on MP3's designed to stop just what you are doing, copying to a CD.  By doing that you would Violate UK Copyright Laws.  It sucks yeah, but it's what is happening nowadays.
Ya see, what i don't get is for a less amount, I could actually own that CD. (case, cover and everything). So telling us we need "new" ways of making money by selling mp3's/wma/etc... online isnt going to work if we're denied the use of the actual song in the most popular method of playing it... CD.

Is this just a way of making us all stop downloading and go buy CD's? Surely more people would take the "fu** it, i'll open kazaa" approach? :undecided:
07-04-2004 12:54 AM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: