What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » mp3 music

Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
mp3 music
Author: Message:
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
RE: mp3 music
There is lots of debates going on on the net about DRM and what it means.  The majority it seems see it as a bad move.  It means MP3 players will have to be DRM compliant in the future which could up prices on them.  £2.99 for a single, seems like a lot but the last single I bought (The Music - Take The long Road And Walk It) has a bonus track called Alone.  I really like that song & if i'd downloaded the single i'd have missed out on the "B-Side".

I would much rather have MP3's than CD's when walking in the summer.  Carrying all the CD's I'd need to get the songs I like best would mean filling a bag with them.  Thieves would try & have a field day (they can try but will fail) and would you want to carry a bag full of CD's everywhere?

CD's are great for at home but not exactly that portable are they.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-04-2004 02:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
CD's are great for at home but not exactly that portable are they.
This is knida going off the point, so i'll make it short; I dont walk. :refuck:

I drive to most places and like CD's for the keepsake and leave them in the car. If I cant pay, download and burn music. I'm not going to bother paying. :undecided:
07-04-2004 08:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ginger

Well, this one time at band camp..

– / Female / –
Well im not for or against either strongly, i do both.  I download songs on Kazaa but not major downloading like *cough my bros cough* and i buy cds so im stuck between the two

i dont see why companies in their right mind would try and make money off SELLING songs when you can get them for free. 

my opinion on IPOD:

Ipod is primairily an american based product * i think* but they are still sellin in Canada.  The thing is tho, there are no LEGAL ways of downloading music to your Ipod in canada.  So my theory is, buy an Ipod, download illegal music, and then when the company sues me i will sue Ipod and make money because they failed to set up a proper way of downloadin music to their product legally..

right ill stop now... woooo
Inferno @ The Opera House.
November 25. 2005
Toronto.
Come check it out! (k)
07-04-2004 10:26 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
I just have 1 thing to say people...
Who is going to buy, for ex. , a house compilation for 40 € ,kinda...:members: (4 guys)...when that same cd can be downloaded for ZERO on the net, kinda :many: (lots of them) listen copyright defender guys..there's no way millions of people are going to start buying cd's(:throwup: 'cause they just know that no1 is going to get them...e supose :)...
07-04-2004 10:40 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ClassroomDevil
i dont see why companies in their right mind would try and make money off SELLING songs when you can get them for free.
that makes no sense.... In your own logic: I don't get why stores are asking money for that TV-set when you can steal the same TV-set from your neighbours....:S

quote:
Originally posted by ClassroomDevil
So my theory is, buy an Ipod, download illegal music, and then when the company sues me i will sue Ipod and make money because they failed to set up a proper way of downloadin music to their product legally..
You wont get far with that theory, I wouldn't try it out if I were you.... You can't sue a company because YOU use their product in a bad way!!! (analogy: I can't sue the company that made that gun for not being able to stop me shooting my neighbours...) :S

small note: I don't have anything against my neighbours though :p

This post was edited on 07-04-2004 at 11:45 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-04-2004 11:44 PM
spokes

I <3 Rollerblading

33 / Male / Flag
i donwload most songs, but if i really like the artist i will normally just buy the album.
i think £10-£15 is pretty reasonable for an ALBUM containing about 15-20 song., but £5 for one single containing 3 songs is just a rip off!, so downloadin is a hell of a lot betta ;)

[Image: sig15ws.png]
07-05-2004 05:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
expert

Im back

31 / Male / –
Wink  RE: mp3 music
a good way to get music is buy a big and go to www.conect.com/canada [Image: burger.gif]

This post was edited on 07-05-2004 at 07:59 AM by expert.
[Image: bar9sk.jpg]
07-05-2004 07:57 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Meh, okay, add $2.00 more to cover Cover Design, Printing, and Promos, your still at $7.30, when the average american CD is $15.00+

;), your forgetting, every CD pays for the "big picture", so that cover designer is prolly getting a lot more than there design is worth, just cause they're being paid PER CD.
07-05-2004 10:00 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
, your forgetting, every CD pays for the "big picture", so that cover designer is prolly getting a lot more than there design is worth, just cause they're being paid PER CD.
WTF?

That artist who designs the cover will have nothing to do with the supply/demand of the CD. She'd/He'd will be paid a fixed fee no matter what. Otherwise she'd/he'd have to asses how likely the CD is to succeed before she/he done the "design" - which would be 1) costly and 2) unlikely as the record label want to it to succeed as much as possible so price fixing would be an issue.

And £5 for a single? Huh?! According to The Official UK Charts Company Website, the min price for a single CD is £1.20; otherwise the single is not eliabgable for entry. So surely no one would charge £5 for a single. :rolleyes:

This post was edited on 07-06-2004 at 12:03 AM by Johnny_Mac.
07-06-2004 12:02 AM
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
..and like CD's for the keepsake

Your forgetting that CDs go off. Apparently, the stuff used in the insert reacts with the stuff in the CD and after approx. 20 years, the CD becomes unuseable.

My local music store charges £16.99 for most albums, thats 31.60$ and 25.45€! Now come on, that is over for 10-15 songs!
07-10-2004 06:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: