What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » plus 3 design & keyboard

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
plus 3 design & keyboard
Author: Message:
uam

O.P. plus 3 design & keyboard
Hi,
I do not find the new design to be somewhat amazing, it simply does not match what I am used to, all these shadows are not intuitive nor used in OS, as well as the UI seems more complicated to me than it was. However, this is change and I can't do anything against it.

Well, what :blah: me a lot, is the lack of keyboard control, what I think should be preserved, especially in programs like this one.

eg. How can I switch between subcategory buttons like "Local settings" "sound config" and "misc"? How can I list presets of personalized status since they are hidden behind the curious button?

I will willingly try to learn new UI, but if it cannot be controled using keyboard, it is bad UI.

Thanks for understanding,
           have a nice day (A) miloush
07-10-2004 09:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Leif

81 / Male / –
RE: plus 3 design & keyboard
I agree with you all the way! Keyboard control is VERY important. And for some people it's a matter of not being able to use the programme at all if you have to rely on the use of the mouse.
07-10-2004 10:11 AM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

never thought of that. I agree too
07-10-2004 11:19 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I agree also, but on the other hand let's not forget this isn't a UI but a GUI (graphic user interface)... that means it is based upon graphics....

Also, many things in window can't be controlled also purely with the keyboard without special software...
Also, 90% of all programs written by 3rd parties don't have full keyboard control either. (but that indeed doesn't mean Plus! shouldn't have)

This post was edited on 07-10-2004 at 12:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-10-2004 11:59 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
uam

O.P. RE: plus 3 design & keyboard
Most of the things in window can (or could :P) be controlled using keyboard, in fact the only thing I haven't managed to do without mouse is to show/hide window frame in MSN Messenger >6.

But I wouldn't like to argue what can be done with keyboard and what can not, chatting is about text and every need for mouse is inefficient... btw. the guys with wireless mice have to look desperately for theirs mice all the time :D

All of MS software is able to work with only kbd and most of professional 3rd party applications as well. Plus is an extension to MS app so it should match the philosophy of MS apps.

And as you can see all these /commands are here just to avoid mouse! ;)

I think it is quite easy to correct the GUI to accept keyboard input, as we are used to in Plus ver. 2...

This post was edited on 07-10-2004 at 12:37 PM by uam.
07-10-2004 12:35 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I always take a lot of care in ensuring that peopel can navigate using their keyboard. To navigate between subsections, just use Alt+1-2-3. See, no need to complain :). Messenger Plus! 3 is as "keyboard complient" as Messenger Plus! 2 was, extra graphics have not change that.
[Image: signature2.gif]
07-10-2004 06:37 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
uam

O.P. RE: RE: plus 3 design & keyboard
I thought there is some crazy combination available :o) but when providing the keyboard control it should be as much intuitive as possible. Why hasn't I came upon this keystroke? Probably because it is not used in any program I have seen yet. Why it cannot be, say Ctrl+Tab? Or why there are not avaible through Tab stop? Tab stopping should be used only in emergency :D and these tricky buttons aren't available...
Yep and probably because Alt keystrokes are normally visible with "_" ;) Do all controls without _ have secret keystroke assigned?

What I would like to ask is why -in the Personalised status window- the preset combobox changed into button. I can't find any reason of it, but in each case, I would be really happy if I could go throw the list using arrows... :$

I am not sure wheter I should write about this keyboard stuff, so let me know...
07-10-2004 07:38 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by uam
Do all controls without _ have secret keystroke assigned?
the only controls that don't have it are the Accept/Cancel/Apply in the preferences. You can use Enter/Esc keys for them ;)
quote:
Originally posted by uam
What I would like to ask is why -in the Personalised status window- the preset combobox changed into button. I can't find any reason of it, but in each case, I would be really happy if I could go throw the list using arrows...
I think it's due to make the look nicer, however I also like more (and think it's more intuitive) to have a drop-down list.)
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
just use Alt+1-2-3.
:O Nice (Y)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
07-10-2004 08:05 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
the only controls that don't have it are the Accept/Cancel/Apply in the preferences. You can use Enter/Esc keys for them
Well, that's normal "Windows beheviour", but what about:

* The link "Click here for a list of additional preferences" in General Options>Misc - How do you select that? (and isn't it better "with additional preferences"? dunno)

* The arrow buttons in Message Helpers>QuickTexts (can they have a tab-stop also?) <= important one I think!

* The icon in Privacy Protection>Boss Protection

* The link "Click here to download new plugins"  in Plugins

* The link in the about window...

But I must say, that's all I could find. You can access everything else with the keyboard only....

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I think it's due to make the look nicer, however I also like more (and think it's more intuitive) to have a drop-down list.)
I agree :$

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
just use Alt+1-2-3.
I my case that would be ALT+SHIFT+1-2-3 (and for anyone else with a keyboard where the numbers are accessed by pressing shift).

Numbers on keypad don't work in this case and the normal numbers on the alpha-section are only available when I have caps lock on..... very ackward to type :p (suggestion: ctrl+left/right? and you could make ctrl+up/down to work with the main category also)

PS: I found a small ui-bug while playing with all this though... I'll report immediatly...

This post was edited on 07-10-2004 at 09:48 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-10-2004 09:32 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
* The link "Click here for a list of additional preferences" in General Options>Misc - How do you select that? (and isn't it better "with additional preferences"? dunno)
* The link "Click here to download new plugins"  in Plugins
they say "click here " not " press Ctrl + ..." :refuck:

j/k

yes, cookie is right; there are some thing that can't be accessed using keyboard only.
quote:
I my case that would be ALT+SHIFT+1-2-3 (any for anyone else with a keyboard where the numbers are accessed by pressing shift).
what dodgy keyboard do you have?

in all keyboards i've seen, the numbers are in the upper row of qwertyuiop and they're the main symbol of those keys :-/
quote:
(suggestion: ctrl+left/right? and you could make ctrl+up/down to work with the main category also
(Y) more intuitive and also --for Ctrl + up/down-- the sections doesn't need to have the focus.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
07-10-2004 09:48 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites