What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » PSP or DS?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
PSP or DS?
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. PSP or DS?
Well as was said at E3 2004, the Sony PSP (Playstation Portable) and the Nintendo DS (Dual Screen) are going to be released within the next 9 months or so. My question is, which are you most looking forward to/planning to buy?

I am planning to buy a Sony PSP when they come out.

The estimated prices for the new portable devices are (in Canadian dollars [CAD])
Nintendo DS  -  $300
Sony PSP  -  between $300 and $400 (est.)

Sony PSP is more powerful and has a bright vibrant screen with almost the same stat.s as the PS2 when it comes to power, the ability to play music and videos, and an est, 8 hour battery life. It has a strong line-up of games on the way and a sleek, portable design.

[Image: psp_lrg.aspx.jpg]
[Image: pspnewhands200.jpg]

PSP Specifications (gamespot):
http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6072659.html

PSP CPU Core

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
8MB eDRAM main memory
2.6Gbps bus bandwidth
FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)
3D graphics extended instructions
I Cache, D Cache

PSP Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
2MB eDRAM submemory
I-Cache, D-Cache
90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core

1-166MHz (1.2V)
256-bit bus
2MB eDRAM (VRAM)
5.3Gbps bus bandwidth
664 million pixels per second pixel fill rate
3D curved surface and 3D polygon engine
Support for compressed textures, hardware clipping, morphing, bone, tessellation, bezier, b-spline (NURBS)
Maximum of 33 million polygons per second
24-bit full color (RGBA)

Sound Core

VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)
Reconfigurable DSP
166MHz (1.2 V)
128-bit bus
5 giga operations per second
CODEC capabilities
3D sound, 7.1 channels
Synthesizer, effecter, and other abilities
ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for audio

Media

UMD (Universal Media Disc)
60mm-diameter disc
660nm laser diode
1.8GB capacity (dual-layered disc)
11Mbps transfer rate
AES crypto system
Unique disc ID
Shockproof
Regional code system
Parental lock system
Repeat ordering system

Other Specifications

16:9-format widescreen TFT LCD (480x272 pixels, 24-bit full color)
MPEG4 AVC decoder
Wireless LAN (802.11)
IrDA (Infrared Data Association)
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
AV in/out
Stereo headphone out
Lithium ion battery
Expansion port

-------------------------------------

The Nintendo DS has a windfall of N64 games comming with it along with a bulky design and 2 touch sensitive GBA SP style screens.

[Image: NintendoDS_open_small.jpg]
(click to Enlarge)

[Image: NintendoDS_closed_small.jpg]
(Click to Enlarge)

(udated/finalized designs)

THE UPCOMING NINTENDO  handheld gaming system, thus far labelled DS, (but also codenamed 'Nitro') will sport dual touch-screens, 802.11-style wireless connectivity for up to 16 players and 3D graphics, a document leaked onto a Japanese web site suggests.

The document apparently confirms that the unit will be powered by a pair of ARM7 and ARM9 processors, with the ARM 7 running at 33MHz and the ARM 9 running at 67MHz. The device will sport 4MB of system RAM, and 32K of RAM for the ARMs 7 and 9, as well as 656K of VRAM.

According to the document, the twin screens will be higher resolution the Game Boy Advance, boasting 256x192 pixels. It also suggests a 3D screen capability pumping out 120,000 polygons per second.

Nintendo has not yet responded to the reported leak nor confirmed the details are genuine.

(I was unable to find more details...)

This post was edited on 07-29-2004 at 08:49 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
07-28-2004 11:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
RE: PSP or DS?
Gotta be the PSP

never really did like Gameboys:S
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
07-28-2004 11:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
yeh the PSP will be alot better, it will most likely have alot better games. since Nintendo never have any really good games. so i don't the DS will have any good games

This post was edited on 07-29-2004 at 12:03 AM by toddy.
07-29-2004 12:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: PSP or DS?
quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
Gotta be the PSP

never really did like Gameboys:S

well it's not [b]actually[b] a gameboy....it's just the "Nintendo DS" which is a strange jump from gameboy.

This post was edited on 07-29-2004 at 08:46 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
07-29-2004 12:02 AM
sasquatch

Odi et amo.

36 / Male / –
PSP all the way, better procesor, better games, can play mp3's, can burn onto a 1.8 GB disk, owns DS by tons, only thing i'm concerned bout is cost :S
Dare to dream.
07-29-2004 02:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
The Processor difference doesn't equate to much as the ARM 7 & 9 Processors are better than their clock speed show.  PSP still gets my vote.  Can't stand Ninty anymore.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-29-2004 02:39 AM
Twan

No Inspiration

37 / Male / Flag
i just love nintendo games..  so IF i will buy 1 it will be the DS :)  but maybe i won't because a gamecube is allready enough for me..

i will see:S
Back Again.
07-29-2004 04:53 AM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
there is also a few more images including this one but i think the power is a bit too close to the d-pad
c what u think
[Image: Image_211b504b-e4e3-40f8-9296-94994e36cd9b.jpg]
07-29-2004 01:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
PSP...better games
07-29-2004 01:35 PM
Maniac

Posts including T&T: 1684

36 / Male / –
Better games? Lol...

Anyways I must start with a rant, sorry, but Blade's post itelf is a litte (a LOT) biased, jsut check out how much info he gave on the PSP and how much he did on the DS ;)

For the power button being too clsoe to the d-pad... lol to that too... like if you take off your finger from it and "Accidently" move it up and "accidently" press it.... it's far enough, might be a problem true, but hopefully not

and just to continue:

quote:
yeh the PSP will be alot better, it will most likely have alot better games. since Nintendo never have any really good games. so i don't the DS will have any good games

PSP will probably have more games? Nintendo never had any good games?

Sorry but but those statement are completly baseless. the psp has an equal ammount of guetting a lot of games and no games, actually it has less chances of guetting a lot of games because developers have been developing for nintendo's portable systems since the original GameBoy (yeah that big fat grey thing you played as a kid) the PSP is a completly new thing so developers coudl be skeptical. Also, the DS provides both the dual screen and touch pad, now if you just think of all the possibilities that can create for a game... it's something that attracts developers. You can now have an RTS, use the stylus as a mouse, you can have a card based game and literarly move the cards around, you can  have an FPS game and shoot using the stylus (metroid prime). So there's my responce to "PSP will have more games" maybe it will, but the only advantage the PSP brings is POWER..... however developers tend to lean more to creative, entertaining and fun games rather then waste their time making it look good if it isn't fun.

Now to the next point "nintendo never made good games" ... funny how nintendo's franchises run off the shelves everytime they are released. Sure you're gonan say they are all old, we've had mario since 1986 or something and I completly agree with you, nintendo is sucking up all it can from mario, samus, link etc.... but hey, just look at the e3, what was everyone talking about.... yes Doom3 Halo2 and Zelda ;) My point being is Nintendo doesn't make a hole lot of games and when it does they are all sequels or of the same franchise from other games.... but they sell, they sell like pancakes! And now to the gba... nintendo never had any good games on gba? well explain to my why is it that the gba sells a tons more then any other console out there, and yes even the ps2, by far.... why is the gba so popular? why do you see a person with a gba everytime you open your eyes? Because nintendo doesn't have any good games? .... I don't think so

Damn i wrote a lot.... anyways as you can see i'm leaning towards the DS, for all the reasons up there but also for the backward compatibility, i had to give off my gba a while ago and missed out on a lot of games, so with the ds i'll be able to get everythign i missed and play them. Also, right now there's no game that interests me in the PSP, at first i thought Metal Gear Acid would rock, but it turned out to somehow be card-based ..... yeah so i'll wait, maybe after a price cut and some big games i'll pick it up

This post was edited on 07-29-2004 at 06:50 PM by Maniac.
[Image: maniacsig0pb.jpg]
*It took Jesus 3 days to respawn! Talk about lag!* :rofl:
07-29-2004 06:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: