What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » CoolWWWSearch and Lop

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
CoolWWWSearch and Lop
Author: Message:
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
The sponsor program does.

Please get your facts straight before posting about it.

Sorry, it never done it to me before :)...

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
The sponsor program does.

Please get your facts straight before posting about it.
It only adds icons (Shortcuts to websites) to the desktop, it doesn't change any of the original icons.
quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Plus does not alter your icons on your desktop..That would be just dodgy, and I dont think that it alters favorities either :S
What Sean was trying to say is what i posted above. It doesn't change other items just adds more.

Ya thats what I was implying :p
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
09-30-2004 11:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
well if u installed it u would see a searchbar on internet explorer :P
And remember that its not spyware but adware :)

The EULA says:

""If you change your home page, search page or default error page after installation of the Software, a Pass-Through Toolbar will be installed at the bottom of your web browser and shall remain active as long as the Software is installed ***and information related to such change, including but not limited to the web address (URL), for the new home page, search page and default error page will be sent to C2's servers or third party servers.***"

That makes it spyware. My home page and search engine preferences are my own business.
09-30-2004 01:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Spade
The EULA says:

""If you change your home page, search page or default error page after installation of the Software, a Pass-Through Toolbar will be installed at the bottom of your web browser and shall remain active as long as the Software is installed ***and information related to such change, including but not limited to the web address (URL), for the new home page, search page and default error page will be sent to C2's servers or third party servers.***"

That makes it spyware. My home page and search engine preferences are my own business.
Spyware is software that collects things WITHOUT your knowledge.

Since an EULA is MEANT to be read and since it clearly informs you about what it is doing, makes it that it is NOT spyware!

This post was edited on 09-30-2004 at 01:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-30-2004 01:36 PM
SpecimenB

53 / Male / –
quote:

Since an EULA is MEANT to be read and since it clearly informs you about what it is doing, makes it that it is NOT spyware!

Who cares what it is? The fact is that it was deceptively installed on my machine. And don't give me that line about EULA is MEANT to be read. That's a bunch of crap and you know it. EULA's aren't read. The developers know this and they hide it in the EULA to sneak it past unwary installers so they can make a quick buck. It's underhanded and deceptive.
09-30-2004 02:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SpecimenB
The fact is that it was deceptively installed on my machine.
erm, it wasn't, you choosed to do it while it was asked first. And you even didn't have to read the EULA for that!!!!! You only had to read the first paragraph in that box. WWhich is, btw, ALWAYS completely visible and always translated in the users language and clearly states that you easly can opt out. Besides, you even didn't had to read that! You only had to read 2 lines besides the round radiobuttons:

[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]

quote:
And don't give me that line about EULA is MEANT to be read. That's a bunch of crap and you know it. EULA's aren't read.
And who's fault is that? Not the developers faults though! If it was put there to be skipped, then why put it there in the first place? developers don't include those things for fun. They can spend their time much better....

This post was edited on 09-30-2004 at 02:14 PM by CookieRevised.
09-30-2004 02:10 PM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Who cares what it is? The fact is that it was deceptively installed on my machine. And don't give me that line about EULA is MEANT to be read. That's a bunch of crap and you know it. EULA's aren't read. The developers know this and they hide it in the EULA to sneak it past unwary installers so they can make a quick buck. It's underhanded and deceptive.

EULA = End User License Agreement

6 entries found for contract: 1 a : a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties

Essentially, the EULA is a contract, it's not the developer's fault if the User doesn't read the "contract" the same as if a person signs on the dotted line before reading the fine print. At least in this case, you can uninstall the sponsor even though you didn't read the fine print. Again, it's not the dev fault if the user doesn't read.
09-30-2004 02:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
smurlos

37 / Male / –
How can I remove the searchbar and the crap it's installed with it?
Me being the dumbass I am, totally forgot about selecting yes and no... so now ive got toolbars coming out of my ears! Argh why do people have to even have this crap? Does annoying people make them happy or something?

Anyway, I've uninstalled messenger plus 3, did an adware check, removed all the adware stuff, then i restarted, installed messenger plus 3 again but selected no this time and then restarted again and the sh!tty toolbar is STILL invading my screen... and it's not even in my programs list in control panel...
09-30-2004 02:12 PM
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
The EULA says:

<sigh> I have seen that attempt at justification elsewhere in this forum.  Does it not concern any of you that the same excuse is often used by disreputable software vendors?   

To be spyware, software does not have to be secret, or act in secrecy.  It simply needs to report a user's actions/movements/preferences.  Spyware is often successfully installed because the purveyors rely on human kind's natural tendency to trust those that appear to be reputable; spyware purveyors also depend on habit, carelessness and social engineering, or innocuous non-descriptive phrases like 'sponsor program' that give no clue about what is actually going to happen.

To illustrate alternative points of view...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spyware

and

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

The first link makes no reference to "without your knowledge"  For the second link, the key point is 'APPROPRIATELY obtaining your consent'.

The really important thing is that y'all KNOW that users are not reading the EULA, and have known for a long time, yet nothing is done to improve the situation.  Is this because, to quote Patchou "it could be redesigned to warn you better but then, nobody would install it"?
09-30-2004 02:16 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
It simply needs to report a user's actions/movements/preferences.
Then everything on the net is spyware: Servers log your IP all the time! Also, more then half of the websites on the net log your IP address and things you do on the site, they even record what type of browser and OS your are using!

quote:
Spyware is often successfully installed because the purveyors rely on human kind's natural tendency to trust those that appear to be reputable;
This goes for A LOT of things, including harmless software which hasn't anything todo with spyware or even adware. So... That's not a defination of what spyware is!

quote:
Spyware purveyors also depend on habit, carelessness and social engineering, or innocuous non-descriptive phrases like 'sponsor program' that give no clue about what is actually going to happen.
Again, not a definition.... Besides, no clue? "sponsor agreement", I dunno what more clue you want and also for the details: that's why the EULA is there!!!

quote:
To illustrate alternative points of view...
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spyware
The link makes no reference to "without your knowledge"
Read the bold part
quote:
Definition: any software that covertly gathers information about a user while he/she navigates the Internet and transmits the information to an individual or company that uses it for marketing or other purposes; also called adware
covertly: meaning without the user knowing! And since it is clearly stated in the EULA what the sponsor will do, this only proofs again that the sponsor isn't spyware by this definition....

also called as: meaning, people call it that way. It does not mean "is the same as"... eg: you call the adware sponsor, "spyware"... thus this definitions states that quite correctly "also called as"

quote:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx
For this link, the key point is 'APPROPRIATELY obtaining your consent'.
That is not what it is told there. Read it again...
quote:
Spyware is often associated (again, this doesn't mean "it is") with software that displays advertisements (called adware) or software that tracks personal or sensitive information. That does not mean all software which provides ads or tracks your online activities is bad. For example, you might sign up for a free music service, but "pay" for the service by agreeing to receive targeted ads. If you understand the terms and agree to them, you may have decided that it is a fair tradeoff (and if you didn't, then you select "I don't agree" and nothing will happen). You might also agree to let the company track your online activities to determine which ads to show you.
The next part clearly talks about the difference between spyware and other things:
quote:
The key in all cases is whether or not you (or someone who uses your computer) understand what the software will do and have agreed to install the software on your computer.
and that is indeed is the difference between adware and spyware. Spyware will NOT ask you to agree upon something!!! Once again, it only proofs the opposite of what you are telling...

Also, all adware wants is to show you it's here (with a search bar or popup advertisement), hence ADware.

Another GOLDEN quote from the same site:
quote:
Step 4: Surf and download more safely
Here are a few helpful tips that can protect you from downloading software you don't want:
• Read all security warnings, license agreements, and privacy statements associated with any software you download.

quote:
yet nothing is done to improve the situation.
Clearly shows that you don't know exactly what your talking about. Do I need to post all the screenshots since the sponsor was added to show you how many things have been improved?

quote:
Originally posted by smurlos
How can I remove the searchbar and the crap it's installed with it?
By simply uninstall Plus! and following the instructions (closing every browser window, entering the validation number in the checkdialog, rebooting, ....). This method works!

However, when you tried to delete it yourself (with programs like ad-aware) that will only screw up the uninstall process. And in that case you can indeed be left with things.

To fix this, you need to reinstall Plus! again WITH the sponsor (so the uninstall routines are fixed again) and right after (without doing anything with ad-aware or anything) uninstall Plus! again...

After all this is done, you can install Plus! again, but don't forget to tick "don't install sponsor" then...

detailed official instructions can be found here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598
unofficial instructions can be found here: http://aux.udcx.com/?action=sponsor

quote:
Originally posted by smurlos
Argh why do people have to even have this crap?
To make a living.

This post was edited on 09-30-2004 at 03:31 PM by CookieRevised.
09-30-2004 02:22 PM
MSGPlusRox

MSG Plus ownz!

46 / – / –
O.P. RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop
I was able to do it with just uninstalling it. It told me everything would be removed when I rebooted, and so it was.
WinXP Pro SP1
MSN Messenger 6.2.0137, MSG Plus! 3.01, JNRZ Loader for MSNM 6.2.0137
Cable gateway
09-30-2004 02:27 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: