What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » CoolWWWSearch and Lop

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
CoolWWWSearch and Lop
Author: Message:
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop
quote:
Originally posted by MSGPlusRox
I was able to do it with just uninstalling it. It told me everything would be removed when I rebooted, and so it was.

The big problem that I see is that:

1.  People don't read the EULA, as y'all well know.
2.  The 'sponsor program' is not installed until 36 hours after Messenger Plus is installed.
3.  People who don't read the EULA cannot make the association between the install of Messenger and the sudden appearance of adware and browser hijackings.

Despite all the cards being stacked against them, the hapless user is told in this forum that everything is their fault because they didn't read the EULA and because they used reputable anti-spyware software to clean up their system.

Now, IF users were properly warned about what the 'sponsor program' is and does during installation (For heavens sake, I've done my share of working with VB and VB .NET and know how easy it is to add a window saying that 'lop.com will be installed on your computer in 36 hours time. Lop.com will change your home page and search engine settings and generate pop up advertisements), and IF the sponsor program alerted users as to what was happening when it spontaneously installed itself after 36 hours delay instead of installing silently, with no message windows at all, then PERHAPS a supportable argument could be made for current Messenger Plus and lop.com install protocols.
09-30-2004 02:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MSGPlusRox

MSG Plus ownz!

46 / – / –
O.P. RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop
Well at least it wasn't a very bad variant of Lop. I've heard of some that are so bad, you end up needing to reinstall Windows.
WinXP Pro SP1
MSN Messenger 6.2.0137, MSG Plus! 3.01, JNRZ Loader for MSNM 6.2.0137
Cable gateway
09-30-2004 02:43 PM
smurlos

37 / Male / –
RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:
Originally posted by smurlos
Argh why do people have to even have this crap?
To make a living.

Yes, fair enough, but it's not like they HAVE to do that to earn money. Plenty of other ways...

Thanks for the guidance btw - it's gone. finally. i was panicking a bit hehe. Thought I was gonna be doomed to be stuck with it for the rest of my computer's life...
09-30-2004 02:45 PM
Leif

81 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Spade
Now, IF users were properly warned about what the 'sponsor program' is and does during installation (For heavens sake, I've done my share of working with VB and VB .NET and know how easy it is to add a window saying that 'lop.com will be installed on your computer in 36 hours time. Lop.com will change your home page and search engine settings and generate pop up advertisements), and IF the sponsor program alerted users as to what was happening when it spontaneously installed itself after 36 hours delay instead of installing silently, with no message windows at all, then PERHAPS a supportable argument could be made for current Messenger Plus and lop.com install protocols.

May I quote Patchou:
"...the sponsor’s license agreement (yes, it could be redesigned to warn you better but then, nobody would install it, let’s be honest)..."
09-30-2004 02:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MSGPlusRox

MSG Plus ownz!

46 / – / –
O.P. RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop
Isn't there some kind of donation system? I'm sure Plus users would be more than happy to donate.
WinXP Pro SP1
MSN Messenger 6.2.0137, MSG Plus! 3.01, JNRZ Loader for MSNM 6.2.0137
Cable gateway
09-30-2004 02:50 PM
SpecimenB

53 / Male / –
quote:
Isn't there some kind of donation system? I'm sure Plus users would be more than happy to donate.

I liked the software. I'd have been willing to donate.
09-30-2004 02:55 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Really? :chrongue: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32...d=313713#pid313713
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The donation page was online for more than a year and only about 10 people out of 2 million donated.

This post was edited on 09-30-2004 at 02:59 PM by WDZ.
09-30-2004 02:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
SpecimenB

53 / Male / –
RE: RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop
quote:
Originally posted by Leif
May I quote Patchou:
"...the sponsor’s license agreement (yes, it could be redesigned to warn you better but then, nobody would install it, let’s be honest)..."

Being honest, if it had given me better warning and still let me refuse, the I would have still installed it anyway without the sponsor program.

The quote above only confirms to me that Patchou knows he's being sneaky and thus cares more for the payoff than the satisfaction of the users.

Also, as far as sponsorship goes, there are far better choices than lop. Choices that don't hijack the users' browser.
09-30-2004 03:00 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SpecimenB
Also, as far as sponsorship goes, there are far better choices than lop. Choices that don't hijack the users' browser.
People are always saying that there are better options, but I have yet to see proof of this. :-/
09-30-2004 03:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
SpecimenB

53 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by SpecimenB
People are always saying that there are better options, but I have yet to see proof of this. :-/

There's no better option than deceiving the users?
09-30-2004 03:05 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: