What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » toolbars again again again

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
toolbars again again again
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: toolbars again again again
I think the spsonsor reinstalls itself when it'S been partially damaged by a third party action (for example, you deleted a file or another program did). However, if it's uninstalled from Messenger Plus! (where you enter the confrirmation code), then it won't reenable itself.

I know the files are installed in many directories that always change so I can't help you on that. But again, if you did reinstall Plus! with the sponsor and uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs window, then whatever is left is probably not from my sponsor but from somethign else.
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-02-2004 12:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
XMoon

Yup i agree. I defenitely think it got damaged. I got rid of it a few minutes ago. You need to uninstall it by whatever method you want, but you also need to delete a key in windows registry and some files in your directory of application data.

The key is found in HKLM, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Run. A key with something lik "soap" is to be deleted. Moreover, you also need to get rid of files which are located in folder with a weird name. Its located in Documents & Settings, All Users, Application Data. Just look for a weird name for a folder that its name is on CAPS hehe. Hopefully it wont spawn again :D

Thanks for the help,
-moon
11-02-2004 04:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
petrine

O.P. RE: toolbars again again again
It seems like a succes.
For people who are not so aure about which files to remove and which to keep it can help to keep an eye on the apllication data folder when you uninstall lop. At least one of the files which you ought to remove will dissappear during the unintall.
11-04-2004 09:40 PM
chrisjustinparr

Shocked  RE: toolbars again again again
I'm having the same problems too! I uninstalled "Msg Plus!", reinstalled it with the sponsor and uninstalled it again. I don't have any adaware or hijack this programs, but it still keeps coming. I know it comes from messenger plus because there are many forums on the net that discuss how to remove the Msg Plus ads. Your earlier versions didn't have this problem, maybe you made a mistake.|-)

Please remove search2web from your sponsors because it is ruining my system. I'm not going to run msg plus until you release it again with a sponsor program that isn't totally bugged. Find a different sponsor that just displays pop-ups and that doesn't change your system, desktop, search bar, homepage and settings.
11-05-2004 01:33 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by chrisjustinparr
I know it comes from messenger plus because there are many forums on the net that discuss how to remove the Msg Plus ads.
All those "many forums" on the net are giving you false information. 99% of all the things you see on those forums regarding Plus!, is untrue, wrong and misleading information.

Furthermore, it is not because the removal of ads is discussed that you know it comes from Plus!.
There are thousands/millions of other programs which add ads to your computer. So, if a forum discusses the removal of ads of a certain program, that doesn't mean that all the ads in the world come from this program, that is simply unlogic.

quote:
Please remove search2web from your sponsors because it is ruining my system.
A system can not be ruined by the sponsor of Plus! alone! This sponsor has been tested many times and is installed by hundredthousands of people. Why would Patchou include a sponsor that will ruin the system of thousands and thousands of people?

quote:
I'm not going to run msg plus until you release it again with a sponsor program that isn't totally bugged.
I'm sorry to say this, but there is nothing bugged about the sponsor.

Also, you can easly opt out of the installation of the sponsor when you're installing Plus!. The sponsor is not forced upon you; you have to make the choice of installing it or not.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=332530]

This post was edited on 11-05-2004 at 01:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-05-2004 01:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
chrisjustinparr

Yeah, but I did what they told me to do, and the ads went away. They said uninstall messenger plus, run adaware and hijack this. I found a bunch of sponsorship stuff, and I deleted the registry. Every time I install messenger plus, the search2web pops up. Search2web is from messenger plus, and nobody can deny that.
11-05-2004 01:57 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Please reread this entire thread as I think you're missing the whole point...

It is clearly stated in this thread that uninstalling Plus! by going to add/remove programs will also uninstall the sponsor.

And that by using programs like ad-aware, S&D, you only will _corrupt_ the uninstall process of the sponsor. And to fix this you should install Plus! again but _with_ the sponsor and rightafter, without the use of any anti-adware program you should uninstall it and follow the proper instructions (also something many people forget todo).....

To add to this: I also tried the "suggestions" from the other forums to see what it will do. And I can tell you that it will not only corrupt/damage the uninstall process of the sponsor, but will also delete some other totally unrelated things in the registry which shouldn't be deleted at all. And above all, it will leave some traces of the sponsor on your HD and registry....

Those anti-adware programs are _not_ as good as they may seem and often do more (invisible) damage then you know. You should only use such programs if you know exactly what you're doing and have a proper knowledge of what things are in the computer and its registry.

quote:
Yeah, but I did what they told me to do, and the ads went away.
If I told you to format your PC the ads will be gone too. What I mean is, it is not because the ads are visible away, that it is the good thing to do...

Now, obvisouly you know that formatting your PC is drastic and will also remove other things. But this is just the same with those ad-aware programs: Because you don't know what they exactly do and because you don't know what the optional Plus! sponsor exactly has installed, you trust upon strange people saying that it will be the good thing to do. Well, what if you don't know what implications formatting your pc will have? Of course the ads will be gone too then, but will you still say that formatting your pc is the good thing todo?

I hope you understand what I am saying here ;)

Anyways, the point is, do _not_ use such programs to remove the sponsor 'cause it will do more damage then good (even if you think or it seems that everything is fixed now). Instead follow the instruction given by us (people who know what Messenger Plus! is, does and installs and tested it to the limits (including its sponsor), hence you came to this forum).

I hate to say this, but more then often the problem isn't the install/uninstall of the sponsor but the person itself who is doing something wrong, although they claim not to. (and far too often people are too rude to see this and rather continue to flame. Although there are exceptions.)

If something is broken on your car, you don't go to the grocery store to ask on how to fix it ;)

This post was edited on 11-05-2004 at 02:29 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-05-2004 02:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: