What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Thread pruned... Why?

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Thread pruned... Why?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Thread pruned... Why?
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
To be clear: I meant only for that thread. Thus I don't mean disregard all the emoticons for all the threads, just only for the half-sticked ones.
Yeah, I know. Disregarding the icon for even one thread seems kinda dodgy though. :p However, as I said, I'll do it if that's what people want.
it looks slightly better though... at least IMHO... :D

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Ok, the 75-post thread is a bad example, but it is true that in many threads often 1 or two posts are the important ones (sometimes on another page, or after "bad/wrong/incomplete" posts). And sometimes those posts are a resume what has been said in the thread with added things or something.
Maybe... maybe. :dodgy: I was hoping to keep it simple and just do it by thread. What if there are multiple useful posts within a thread? Like if one member answers a question, then another member provides some additional information? :^)
Yep, that's why I'm in favor for a link which links to the first "important" post (or first post were you could start reading to get the context). That's the reason why I suggested that when you click on the lightbulb you will be taken to a certain post within that thread (or something). If the whole thread is important then, of course, it would be the toppost.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I think a knowledge base forum would be great, you could just go into it and find a topic
The same is true for what I've already coded and am currently testing: a page that simply lists all the important threads. They'll show up on the list no matter what forum they're in, and even be organized by forum.
(Y)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-15-2004 10:19 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: Thread pruned... Why?
quote:
it looks slightly better though... at least IMHO...
Blah... I'll change it since I'm messing with the code anyway. I think it's less noticable like this though. :-/ It really stood out before, because there are never any images in the subject column.

quote:
Yep, that's why I'm in favor for a link which links to the first "important" post (or first post were you could start reading to get the context). That's the reason why I suggested that when you click on the lightbulb you will be taken to a certain post within that thread (or something). If the whole thread is important then, of course, it would be the toppost.
Yeah, I guess I'll add a way to store a pid too. If I do that, there will be less of a need for a comment field. :D

The main issue in my mind right now though is how do you quickly half-stick a thread while specifying a certain post? I was planning to have one link to cover the whole thread... having individual links for each post would be less efficient, and there aren't any good places to put them, IMO.

Would it be OK if a form was always involved in the half-sticking process? The URL or IDs could be pasted in, then you click a submit button.
11-15-2004 07:28 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
I think a knowledge base forum would be great, you could just go into it and find a topic
The same is true for what I've already coded and am currently testing: a page that simply lists all the important threads. They'll show up on the list no matter what forum they're in, and even be organized by forum.

That sounds awesome, its just one page then? And the admin or whatever can just add important threads to this list, and they will remain there, but they're still postable in some circumstances?
11-15-2004 07:34 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
its just one page then?
Well, there is a main page, but it shows a limited number of results so it doesn't get too big. You can open another page that only shows a certain forum, and all the important threads in that forum.

quote:
And the admin or whatever can just add important threads to this list
Yeah... admins, mods, and elites should be able to easily add threads.

quote:
and they will remain there
Yeah, probably forever, since they'll have "prune immunity" :p

quote:
but they're still postable in some circumstances?
They're just normal threads, so you can post in them if they're open.
11-15-2004 07:54 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Well, there is a main page, but it shows a limited number of results so it doesn't get too big. You can open another page that only shows a certain forum, and all the important threads in that forum.

So basically, it will just be another forum basically, but containing the redirects to the other forums, or will the threads be moved? Because if they're moved, then surely some who has wrote an essay might try and post and the thread will be non-existent, I know that if you press back, then everything that you wrote, should be in the text box, but (no offence to anyone), what if someone who's not as internet smart to know this does it..
11-15-2004 07:59 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
All it is is a way to display certain threads. It's the same as View Latest Posts and stuff. Threads from all different forums are shown on one page. They aren't moved or anything. |-)
11-15-2004 08:06 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
All it is is a way to display certain threads. It's the same as View Latest Posts and stuff. Threads from all different forums are shown on one page. They aren't moved or anything. |-)

Well then the idea sounds awesome, how far are you into creating it, is it done and you're testing it or is it still incomplete?? If its done, then when will it be integrated into the forum>?
11-15-2004 08:10 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
Nope, it will be like a Post Digest with the most relevant posts.
This means a list of links to the threads/posts the half-stickers found interesting in different ways.

This way it could act like a LFAQ (Less Frequently Asked Questions) page. Containing the responses to the 0x-errors, for example.

Let me suggest a slight modification: Could we have them grouped by topics/forums? It will get messy if there are MsgPlus and Tech posts together (well, just in the case other posts than about MsgPlus will ever be half-stickable).

Edit: I (L) that clicking on the lightbulb brings you to the post. Brilliant!

This post was edited on 11-15-2004 at 08:22 PM by KeyStorm.
11-15-2004 08:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Nope, it will be like a Post Digest with the most relevant posts.
This means a list of links to the threads/posts the half-stickers found interesting in different ways.

This way it could act like a LFAQ (Less Frequently Asked Questions) page. Containing the responses to the 0x-errors, for example.

Yep. :banana:

quote:
Let me suggest a slight modification: Could we have them grouped by topics/forums? It will get messy if there are MsgPlus and Tech posts together (well, just in the case other posts than about MsgPlus will ever be half-stickable).
Read what I said above: "and even be organized by forum"

They will be grouped by forum. The grouping was actually the most challenging part to code. :dodgy:

quote:
Edit: I (L) that clicking on the lightbulb brings you to the post. Brilliant!
There is a working example in Annoucements & News right now... :p

quote:
Well then the idea sounds awesome, how far are you into creating it, is it done and you're testing it or is it still incomplete?? If its done, then when will it be integrated into the forum>?
It's almost done, but I need to figure out the easiest way to add threads with specific posts. :dodgy:
11-15-2004 08:33 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
It's almost done, but I need to figure out the easiest way to add threads with specific posts. :dodgy:
Couldn't you have the check boxes that are there on some forum that are usually used for splitting threads, but you have a choice whether to split the thread or send it to there..
11-15-2004 08:40 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: