What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » plus uninstalling itself

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   plus uninstalling itself
Author: Message:
ohyoureDIVINE

blah blah blah

– / Female / –
O.P. Huh?  plus uninstalling itself
So, Messenger Plus! used to work all fantastically until I upgraded MSN Messenger (This was a long time ago, too) to version 6.2, which is the version in which I am currently running.

It lets me install Plus! and it works just fine until I turn off my computer. Then, when I turn my computer back on-- plus has uninstalled itself. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? It's really starting to irritate me. Before, I thought that it was just Plus! conflicting with the new version, but this version of MSN isn't so new anymore so that couldn't be the case.

Any/all suggestions are highly appreciated. I have NO idea why this is happening and I really, really want Plus! back.

Oh, and I have Windows Millenium Edition, if that matters.

Thanks!

<3
Brianne.
11-16-2004 05:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: plus uninstalling itself
quote:
Originally posted by ohyoureDIVINE
So, Messenger Plus! used to work all fantastically until I upgraded MSN Messenger (This was a long time ago, too) to version 6.2, which is the version in which I am currently running.

It lets me install Plus! and it works just fine until I turn off my computer. Then, when I turn my computer back on-- plus has uninstalled itself. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? It's really starting to irritate me. Before, I thought that it was just Plus! conflicting with the new version, but this version of MSN isn't so new anymore so that couldn't be the case.

Any/all suggestions are highly appreciated. I have NO idea why this is happening and I really, really want Plus! back.

Thanks!

<3
Brianne.

as far as I know, when you repair or update messenger, you have to reinstall msgplus again....
11-16-2004 07:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
as far as I know, when you repair or update messenger, you have to reinstall msgplus again....
Thats wrong, you can leave plus installed as long as it is compatable with the Messenger version.
Do you have the latest version of plus. 3.25 i think?

This post was edited on 11-16-2004 at 07:40 PM by Plik.
11-16-2004 07:38 PM
ohyoureDIVINE

blah blah blah

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: RE: plus uninstalling itself
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Thats wrong, you can leave plus installed as long as it is compatable with the Messenger version.
Do you have the latest version of plus. 3.25 i think?

Yes, I have the most recent version of plus, 3.25.
11-16-2004 10:00 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Do you have any programs running that will stop "unnecessary" programs/processes from running?

This post was edited on 11-16-2004 at 10:30 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
11-16-2004 10:26 PM
ohyoureDIVINE

blah blah blah

– / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Do you have any programs running that will stop "unnecessary" programs/processes from running?

I don't believe I do (aka: If I do, I have no idea they exist on my computer).
11-17-2004 08:07 AM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
Did you install the sponsor file and then try to take it out with something like Ad-Aware. If so you might of damaged some plus files and I would suggest uninstalling plus! Then reinstalling it with the sponsor then uninstalling it when you try to uninstall it you will get a number/letter image. Type in the letters/numbers exactly as you see them into the image into the box below. Next you can reinstall plus! with out the sponsor and everything should work perfectly.:)
AC3
11-17-2004 08:26 AM
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:

Thanks!

<3
Brianne.

It hasn't uninstalled itself. It probably just isn't hooking.
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete in 98 or Ctrl + Shift + Esc in 2000/XP to go into Task Manager and see if Msgplus.exe is in the list.
If is has loaded but is still not showing up in Messenger: go into Plus! --> Preferences --> Miscellanous and select Force Messenger Plus! to load when computer starts

This post was edited on 11-17-2004 at 08:40 AM by Underlord.
11-17-2004 08:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ohyoureDIVINE

blah blah blah

– / Female / –
quote:
It hasn't uninstalled itself. It probably just isn't hooking.
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete in 98 or Ctrl + Shift + Esc in 2000/XP to go into Task Manager and see if Msgplus.exe is in the list.
If is has loaded but is still not showing up in Messenger: go into Plus! --> Preferences --> Miscellanous and select Force Messenger Plus! to load when computer starts

Good thing I know it's ctrl+alt+del in ME, since you didn't mention that one.

I've been installing plus everytime I get on the computer, so I actually didn't get to do that step-- I did go into Plus! > Prefs > Misc and the "force messenger plus! to load when computer starts" is already checked. Besides, if Plus wasn't showing up in messenger... wouldn't I not be capable of clicking the "plus" tab on top of the MSN messenger main window? Cause yeah, it's definitely not there until I re-install plus.

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
Did you install the sponsor file and then try to take it out with something like Ad-Aware. If so you might of damaged some plus files and I would suggest uninstalling plus! Then reinstalling it with the sponsor then uninstalling it when you try to uninstall it you will get a number/letter image. Type in the letters/numbers exactly as you see them into the image into the box below. Next you can reinstall plus! with out the sponsor and everything should work perfectly.:)

I haven't run Ad-Aware since I installed it, and I actually didn't install the sponsor file like the first four times I've installed Plus! I did like two times after that, but I never got that stupid toolbar to begin with so I don't think the sponsor file even got added to my computer at all.
11-17-2004 04:08 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Besides, if Plus wasn't showing up in messenger... wouldn't I not be capable of clicking the "plus" tab on top of the MSN messenger main window? Cause yeah, it's definitely not there until I re-install plus.
No, Plus! can still be running (or being installed for that matter) without you seeing a menu. Do as Underlord suggested. When you boot up your PC, and without reinstalling Plus! first, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and check if there is a process named msgplus.exe. If not, then check your registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
for any entries of Messenger Plus!.

Also, another question, do you have administration rights on your account where you want to use Plus!.

Also, look at the directory where you previously installed Messenger Plus!, is it still there...

In short, answer these questions one by one, without reinstalling Plus! first:
1) Do you have a process names msgplus.exe after a reboot
2) Is Messenger Plus! listed in one of the run-sections of the registry
3) Do you have administration rights on the account where you want to use Plus!.
4) Is the directory of Messenger Plus! still there after rebooting.

This post was edited on 11-17-2004 at 11:48 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-17-2004 11:47 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: