What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team

Pages: (9): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team
Author: Message:
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team
Cancer Fighting and other useful Research Tool

quote:
Originally posted on demonoid.com

This was my quote for a long time (I lost 4 loved ones to cancer so I had been doing this [grid.org] for a while):
Did you know one in four of us will at some time suffer from cancer? The high mortality rate, the suffering experienced by patients from the side effects of existing treatments, and the high costs of treatment all contribute to making cancer a priority for drug research. Please help us Beat Cancer!

The only time I run this kind of program is when I am not using the computer IE: when at work, out with friends, sleeping, in jail, when I am seeding, ECT....

This program only takes the CPU cycles that aren't being used (idle cycles). It doesn't slow down the computer. It releases the cycles it is using when another program needs them. It doesn't create a bottleneck. I use it on my 2 comps 1-2800xp, 1 gig ram and 2-celeron 700 with 128Mb ram. Granted it runs faster on the AMD, but the Celeron gets more points because of it being a slower machine. I have it running as a system service, and they (the wife and kids) never know it is working. Theirs is the celery comp. and it only uses the internet when it is sending the work packet info at the beginning and end of a work packet.I think this is really great that we (Team Demonoid) are doing this cuz I look at it this way. most of the people out there as well as but not limited to Game servers, File hosts, Message boards, FTP's, P2P leave the computers on for days at a time, and if you are going to have it on for days at a time why don't use help out mankind as well?

Install Notes can be found here http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm
=========

Grid.org is a single destination site for large-scale research projects powered by the United Devices grid computing solution, Grid MP Global. From the Cancer Research Project sponsored by Intel and the University of Oxford to the Anthrax Research Project sponsored by Intel and Microsoft, the Grid MP Global @ grid.org has been put to use for research and analysis projects of groundbreaking scope. With the participation of over 2 million devices worldwide, grid.org projects driven by the Grid MP Global have achieved record levels of speed and success in processing data.

United Devices invites you to download our software — a small program called the UD Agent — and become a Member of the United Devices Community. The UD Agent can recycle your PC's unused resources and use them to perform valuable scientific and medical research without disturbing your usual computer use.

Join grid.org and make a difference. To become a member of grid.org and participate in these important grid computing projects, simply download a free, non-invasive software program that works as a screensaver. It runs when your computer has idle processing time. Your computer never leaves your desk and the project never interrupts your normal PC use

Grid.org lets you make a real difference without donating money or time, with the system that you are using to view this site right now-your home or office PC.

I myself lost my mother to breast cancer in 2001, she was 39 (40 the next month) I was 11. I now have this program running 24/7 to help research.

I hope we have users on here who are willing to help out

To start helping out, you can download the software here http://www.grid.org/download/

Install the software + sign up (signup from within the software)

Then Join the Messenger Plus! Team here

http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=54...-92D6-1609C13850BC

Description:

The Messenger Plus! Team.

Are you a user of MSN Messenger?
Want to Enhance your MSN Messenger for FREE?
Then visit www.msgplus.net to download this great piece of software!

With its many features and ability to add Plug-ins, Messenger Plus! is by far the most recognised and probably most respected add-on created for MSN Messenger EVER!

Our aim is to help fight cancer and research into other extremely useful projects

HELP US ACHIEVE OUR GOAL, YOU NEVER KNOW YOU MAY BENEFIT FROM ITS RESEARCH ONE DAY!!!

Current Team Logo:
[Image: M+logo.gif]

If this could be Pinned it would be great, Thankyou, hope to see you all in the team!

This post was edited on 11-19-2004 at 01:52 AM by aNILEator.
11-19-2004 01:49 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pipish

not really active anymore.

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team
I Actually Lost my Grandma to cancer its a very sad time and ofcourse i will help out with pleasure

EDIT: i wonder if there is a thingy like the whatpulse sig to say how much uptime we have

This post was edited on 11-19-2004 at 07:10 AM by Pipish.
[Image: fcliverpoolfan2xo.gif]
[Image: roosters4yg.jpg]
11-19-2004 06:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
I Actually Lost my Grandma to cancer its a very sad time and ofcourse i will help out with pleasure

EDIT: i wonder if there is a thingy like the whatpulse sig to say how much uptime we have
if there isn't me or someone else could make a script to do that for you
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
11-19-2004 08:03 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

I'm definitely joining for the fight for cancer... :)
11-19-2004 08:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
Ill definatly joining.  I have cancer myself but i was very lucky as they diagnosed it at a very early stage, but I'll do anything I can to support this.
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
11-19-2004 01:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
* Sunshine had a prestage of cervical cancer 5 years ago..

Needed two ops (was pretty close to actual cancer)....lucky me they found it tho...i wouldn't be here now if they hadn't :(

Also i've seen a neigbour of mine die from it beginnin this year..they didn't find it on time with her :'(

Hip hip hooray for research and the summoning women to come for checkup every five years starting at the age of 30 :D

Still i don't see how joining this will help =/
[Image: 25dr3o9]
11-19-2004 02:25 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team
This helps because, the researchers send the information or cell structures to your computer, your computer then works out (maps the cell or whatever) See the page links i posted below

Much like the human GEnome Project was like (That was where they found out what every chromosone in each cell was for)

This project was completed in 2003 (i believe) now they have started teh Human Proteome folding project which will tell those scientists people what each protein does

well learn about it here http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

the cancer project page is here http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/

Either way its going to a good cause, if it only cures one person. Its been a sucess.
11-19-2004 04:25 PM
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
I have joined :) It's a good way of using the time that my PC does nothing lol. And it's helping people.
11-19-2004 05:39 PM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
i have joined up too:)
11-19-2004 05:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team
I am very happy that you have all joined up!

Now if only this thread became a sticky thread....

Just looked at our team stats....there is none...

maybe it has sumat to do with this

http://www.grid.org/help/faq_connecting.htm

i dunno what type of port it is that needs opening

I'm using zonealarm pro 5

This post was edited on 11-20-2004 at 12:59 PM by aNILEator.
11-20-2004 12:55 PM
Pages: (9): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: