What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Another possible idea for sponsor program

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
Another possible idea for sponsor program
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Another possible idea for sponsor program
quote:
Originally posted by frankbuzin
I just tested the beta install myself and there is a prompt to NOT install the sponsor stuff, but it looks too much like a "EULA" type prompt for someone pounding through the install. Even tho there may have been a few that actually read these dialogs and thought it a "good idea" to support the program, none were aware that they would be ultimately getting their AV client to email me. 
First of all, even legal notices and EULA's are meant to be read. Second of all, you even don't need to read the actual EULA to know that it is about a additional sponsor program. Also, the current installation screens look nothing like "other 'regular' legal notices". The current screens are very clear that it is about a sponsor or at least "something" different then a normal standard EULA from the program itself...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=332530]

quote:
(...) OfficeScan AV (...) none were aware that they would be ultimately getting their AV client to email me.
Use a good antivirus program then. Sorry, although I understand the concearns, but there is no virus what-so-ever in the sponsor and certainly not in Messenger Plus! itself. That some AV's detect the Swizzor Trojan is something they should fix (in including a proper and more detailed scanning method), not the sponsor.

This post was edited on 12-23-2004 at 09:02 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-23-2004 08:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
frankbuzin

Corp IM weenie

33 / Other / –
RE: RE: Another possible idea for sponsor program
quote:
First of all, even legal notices and EULA's are meant to be read.
Wow isn't that just a revelation. To think words would be written with the intention of them actually being read. Wow. Thank you again for your great insite. The point is that people just don't do it. So if something "unusual" is going to happen you pretty much need to smack most people in the face with it.

quote:
Use a good antivirus program then.
Trend OfficeScan is one of the best... And considering the fact that most AV software now includes adware/spyware/malware detection (although most don't compare to utils dedicate to such tasks) to there list of things to scan for, it is not too likely a false positive in such a sense/catagory.  And since our German parent company decides such things it is a mute point for us anyway.

I posted my message to add some feedback as to why the creator of this addin may want to consider changing his way of making money. I work for a fortune 100 company with nearly 10,000 users. Not too many of them do a good job of reading it seems. Luckily few have admin rights. Of course I posted before reading enough other posts to see that yall are a bunch of idiots that will defend the loss of a limb for dumb stuff like this.

Next time I will just block crap like this and be done with it. I see posting is a complete waste of time.

This post was edited on 12-23-2004 at 11:53 PM by frankbuzin.
12-23-2004 10:55 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Of course I posted before reading enough other posts to see that yall are a bunch of idiots that will defend the loss of a limb for dumb stuff like this.

Next time I will just block crap like this and be done with it. I see posting is a complete waste of time.

I don't see why you must be aggressive. :S

While any input is welcome, be aware that anti-virus sometimes detect things that are not virus/spyware/adware.

If it really had a virus those who like MP! would say so, but the fact is that MP! and its sponsor do not have virus.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

12-23-2004 11:23 PM
frankbuzin

Corp IM weenie

33 / Other / –
RE: RE: Another possible idea for sponsor program
quote:
Originally posted by UglyBoy
I don't see why you must be aggressive.

Hmmm might have a little to do with the pompous, condescending reply of  CookieRevised. I had good intentions when I came here today, but I give what I get when it comes to people like that.

quote:
Originally posted by UglyBoy
be aware that anti-virus sometimes detect things that are not virus/spyware/adware.

As someone who manages AV for thousands of PCs I am aware of false-positives. That is not the issue here. I made my suggestion and gave good reason for it. The viability of such an addin being allowed in a corp environment is already low. Add "sponsor" stuff like this and it has 0 chance.

This post was edited on 12-23-2004 at 11:42 PM by frankbuzin.
12-23-2004 11:35 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
With out the sponsor program patchou would be forced to find anouther means of making money.
Which would ultimatly lead to him spending less time on messenger plus.
Patchou has also spend lots of time fine tuning the sponsor program to his wishes.
The sponsor is a lot easyer to uninstall than most.
The agreement is clear with out scaring users off.
Yes some people will click through with out reading it, but there is a minimal amount of complaints about it, compared to the amount of installs.
Some AV's detect it falsly as a trojan. But this doesnt mean it does damage like one.
It is very simple to uninstall the sponsor as long as you dont cripple it with a removal tool.

In your situation the best thing you can do is mail all your clients who installed it with a link to this thread - http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598
That has instructions on the removal of the sponsor.
12-23-2004 11:48 PM
frankbuzin

Corp IM weenie

33 / Other / –
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
In your situation the best thing you can do is mail all your clients who installed it with a link to this thread - http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598
That has instructions on the removal of the sponsor.

Thank you, but I don't belive that would be sufficient for my monthly report on illegal software (by our companies standards), the alarms this little addin has set off, and how it was addressed (neither would be any mention of me actually posting in this forum hehehe). Unfortunately it has gotten itself on the radar and it will not be allowed in our environment. My suggestions were more to curb this problem for others.

This post was edited on 12-24-2004 at 12:03 AM by frankbuzin.
12-23-2004 11:59 PM
FrozernFire

GunZ rules!

32 / Male / –
the sponsor has no virus or spyware, just that to some people, there is no difference between adware and spyware. the "alarms" set off might be by some other program, or that your anti virus program has got it wrong. those people who has problems with the sponsor can uninstall it with EXCELLENT instructions on how to do it. seriously, some people are just too paranoid because they were not careful in the first place.
"I want to fix that in my memory forever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret."

Aragorn -"A PEA!! A PEA!! Under my saddle, look Legolas!!! A pea!! Surely only the true King could feel a tiny
pea under all that leather!!!"[/align]
12-24-2004 07:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: