What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Author: Message:
FrozernFire

GunZ rules!

32 / Male / –
RE: RE: RE: Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Spade
quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
Actually, i installed the MP! version of c2media before but then uninstalled it because my dad didn't like it. the most is a toolbar and change in homepage(oh yes, it's hazardous :refuck:). like what others said, if this is labelled as security lvl high, you should really see other bundled adware. it's much worst

The EULA says a person must be at least 18 years of age, and the owner of the target computer, to be allowed to install the Sponsor.

:dodgy: as long as i know what im doing (unlike some people), i don't care :P and i just noticed that it states that you have to be the owner of the target computer to install the sponsor. another defence against some people who wants to sue c2media

This post was edited on 01-05-2005 at 12:35 PM by FrozernFire.
"I want to fix that in my memory forever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret."

Aragorn -"A PEA!! A PEA!! Under my saddle, look Legolas!!! A pea!! Surely only the true King could feel a tiny
pea under all that leather!!!"[/align]
01-05-2005 12:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
RE: Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
quote:
Originally posted by tgnb
This is simply NOT TRUE! Actually the opposite is true. The EULAs of most softwares don't have any such clauses allowing the software to download and execute whatever it wants.

I'm going to list some softwares installed on my computer NONE of which have a clause in their EULA stating that the software can decide to download and execute whatever it wants. Those packages don't even have a clause allowing them to update themselves without my consent.

Ad-Aware , Adobe Reader , BitTorrent, Ethereal, FlashFXP, foobar2000, Gaim, Microsoft Office, Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, Nero, PerfectDisk, Quicktime, Real Player, Gimp, WinRAR, WinSCP, WinPcap, Nmap, etc etc.

Again, none of these softwares have such language in their EULA. Your plain wrong when claiming any different. Prove it. Show the parts of the EULA of any of the above programs that state they can download and execute whatever they want.
Tonight I have downloaded and installed several beta program updates (yes, legitimate updates as a registered beta tester), SnagIt 7.2, Deepnet Explorer, Acrobat Reader 7 and the latest version of my antivirus programme.  None of these programmes have update clauses like C2Media's as part of their EULA.  I'll keep searching the EULAs on my system to see if I can find anything equivalent to C2Media's EULA.

This post was edited on 01-05-2005 at 03:40 PM by Sam Spade.
01-05-2005 03:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
zaidgs

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by tgnb
Patchou says all EULA's are written to give this right, but this is wrong. In fact i can't think of any reputable and legitimate software that has language granting such rights in their EULA.
I agree

quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
Messenger Discovery's sponsor program's EULA actually gives it the right to download and install anything on your computer. EULAs are more for protecting the company itself from law suits, not to warn people about the program, since very little of them read the EULA
i dont think plus should be compared to messenger discovery, because messenger discovery doesnt even respect the user's decision not to install the sponsor (as it will install it even before the installation process is supposed to be started)

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The only thing you can do is trust the distributor, and in this case, its me.
i never read the plus's EULA but: patchou r they allowed to publish upgrades without your consent ?!

This post was edited on 01-05-2005 at 04:24 PM by zaidgs.
01-05-2005 04:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
r they allowed to publish upgrades without your consent ?
The EULA says that the will do unattended updates, you agree to the EULA when you install the sponsor. So C2Media does have your consent for this.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-05-2005 05:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
However, they may not update their software to anything they like just like that. There are strict rules/limitations for the sponsor program by contract, made by Patchou and C2Media... eg: they have to stay within the bounderies of the bought package (so it will never be updated to the worst kind of spyware package that they also have), no adult popups, etc...

This post was edited on 01-05-2005 at 06:08 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-05-2005 06:07 PM
tgnb

quote:
(so it will never be updated to the worst kind of spyware package that they also have), no adult popups, etc...

Well that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

This post was edited on 01-05-2005 at 06:48 PM by tgnb.
01-05-2005 06:47 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Whatever you say won't change the fact that most software uses internet nowadays for many reasons, without mentionning it anywhere. And I iniston the fact that software licenses always look extremely bad when read completely. Anyway.... the fact remains: Plus! has nothing to do in the Giant Spyware sofware (the setup, why not, but not the software itself, it doesnt make any sense).
[Image: signature2.gif]
01-05-2005 10:34 PM
zaidgs

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
The EULA says that the will do unattended updates, you agree to the EULA when you install the sponsor. So C2Media does have your consent for this.
i am talking about patchou's consent (notice patchou's quote above it, he is the distributor not c2media, and that its upto him which upgrades are delivered to us)

thats the quote im talking bout:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The only thing you can do is trust the distributor, and in this case, its me.
so back again: can they upgrade the software without patchou's consent?!?!

This post was edited on 01-05-2005 at 11:18 PM by zaidgs.
01-05-2005 11:10 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
yes they can according to the EULA...
quote:
However, they may not update their software to anything they like just like that. There are strict rules/limitations for the sponsor program by contract, made by Patchou and C2Media... eg: they have to stay within the bounderies of the bought package (so it will never be updated to the worst kind of spyware package that they also have), no adult popups, etc...
          ^^ and that is where Patchou's consent comes in and the quote "trust the distributor"

This post was edited on 01-05-2005 at 11:20 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-05-2005 11:19 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Yes they can, but if they do, the deal is off, is that clear enough now? :). Doing business is more than following a license to the letter, so, once again, if you trust me, you don't have to wory about C2Media's actions. So far, they've always been extremely cooperative and understanding.
[Image: signature2.gif]
01-05-2005 11:39 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: