What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows firewall [sp2]

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
Poll: How valueble windows firewall is?
competant - u can rely on it as much as other firewalls
enough - does give basic protection
sucks - on or off, doesnt make a difference
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Windows firewall [sp2]
Author: Message:
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
RE: Windows firewall [sp2]
quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
i tried this test today:
turn on windows firewall (i usually use norton internet security 2003)
dont allow an exception for msn messenger, and mirc
run msn messenger, and mirc
result: both connected through internet without a problem!!!!
thats not a typical firewall's case!!!!!
my question is how do u rate the window's firewall compared to other firewall, from the point view of both computer literate ppl and those who just want their work done. can we (at this point sp2) dump third-party firewall and rely on windows's firewall?? is it reliable??
Do not depend on the Windows Firewall.  It is a 'stateful' firewall that only protects from *incoming, unsolicited* connections.  If your network (or computer) is compromised it will not protect you or prevent data from going out.

That being said, you should run Windows Firewall PLUS a third party firewall such as Kerio, ZoneAlarm or Sygate.  This is because Windows Firewall has a boot time protection that is not provided by the other products; it covers only a short period of time (between Windows starting, network/internet access going live and the third party firewall starting) but it is still a worthwhile protection in this brave new post-Blaster world where unprotected XP systems can be infected within seconds of being connected to the net. Windows firewall can safely be run at the same time as third party firewalls (I have tested ZoneAlarm (free and Pro), Kerio and Sygate - all work without a problem.
01-22-2005 05:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I installed SP2 and it's great

I had problems...Serious...Explorer would crash when u open a explorer window or any icon...:S...i just think it sucks LOL...
For security issues i use :

- Mcafee Internet Security :
  • Mcafee Security Center
  • Mcafee Virus Scan
  • Personal Firewall Plus(NICE:D)
  • Privacy Service(Useless :dodgy: and usefull for spyware/adware killing...)
  • Spam Killer(Could be usefull if i used it)

This post was edited on 01-22-2005 at 05:09 PM by Jhrono.
01-22-2005 05:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
RE: RE: Windows firewall [sp2]
quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
i dont or didnt need the firewall, so i turned it off as i use a  hardware Nat/router so no need for the windows firewall to be turned on,  but hey it still gave me issues, so go an Figure

You should not depend on just a router/nat firewall. This is because any computers inside your network are unprotected; many viruses/malware are network aware and can spread from machine to machine, and share to share, if not blocked by firewalls on each individual machine.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by johny
I had problems...Serious...Explorer would crash when u open a explorer window or any icon......i just think it sucks LOL...
For security issues i use :

- Mcafee Internet Security :

Did you disable McAfee before installing XP SP2, that is turn McAfee off, make sure that it is set not to restart automatically, and then rebooted before installing SP2?

This post was edited on 01-22-2005 at 05:12 PM by Sam Spade.
01-22-2005 05:07 PM
zaidgs

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Windows firewall [sp2]
quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
yeah i'll back it up for Djex.. i installed it few weeks ago, went fine but with 1 issue i had with it, it stopped completly my Antivirus from updating Automatically even if it was in the Allow list to do so, stil lwouldnt work, so i uninstalled it, , there's more but i cant remember exactly what they were, all i know the system is back to its own HEALTHY State the way it was before i installed SP2.
i hate applying updates, or re-installing windows. back in the days of win98 reinstalling windows was OK, but nowadays reinstalling windows fucks up the computer, especially security programs like firewalls and antiviruses.
i applied sp2 as a fresh install after formatting my windows's partition, i got no problems so far!! (thats about a week ago)
01-22-2005 05:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Urmmm ya WDZ it's call freedom of speech. Any who... SP2 is junk because of the numerous problems it has caused people and my customers. I have my own computer repair business and since SP2 came out almost every computer I get now is suffering from SP2 syndrome. It's either slows your computer until it crashes, and or slows your internet or in some cases it will disable or cause problems with your anti virus that has already been installed and was working fine before. If you try and install it on an older computer, well lets just say not too much will run normal after that. It sucks your system resources down to almost nothing.

Microsoft has put to many "security" fixes in SP2 which in return kills your Windows or other programs. It’s like shredding your pants into bits and stapling them back together. First it’s going to hurt and seconded it wont hold to well and will cause problem in the future.

You don’t need SP2 to run the Windows firewall any way, the firewall comes with Windows XP. All’s you need to do is enable it. With SP2 it just gives you a nice little program to work it from. In my option SP2 is junk. The only way you may get it to work good is on new installations of Windows XP, that’s it! If SP2 is installed on a Windows that’s about a year old forget it, it will screw something up. It may be a minor glitch like your system clock disappearing or it may be a big problem like crashing your computer. I would recommend not installing it, but if you like to take chances. Go for it.
[Image: top.gif]
01-22-2005 11:23 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
I use Norton, because I didn't trust Windows Firewall.

I tried using SP2, and Internet Explorer wouldn't go to Windows Update, and some other parts of Windows XP that depended on IE wouldn't work (like the account manager and such).

So I just uninstalled it and got other programs. :P

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

01-23-2005 01:22 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
i hate applying updates, or re-installing windows. back in the days of win98 reinstalling windows was OK, but nowadays reinstalling windows fucks up the computer, especially security programs like firewalls and antiviruses.
i applied sp2 as a fresh install after formatting my windows's partition, i got no problems so far!! (thats about a week ago)

installing windows is Piss easy, whats not easy is making sure it installed properly, for me installing linux More than once is easier,  but, SP2 as DJEX may or Maynot be in Favor of SP2 he has his reason, just like i do, it sucks, its just like WindowsMe,  that was a half assed WindowsOS that Crashed a lot,  compared to Win98,  as much as i like newer Technology i prefer 98 over ME,  wherer as i might have said SP2 works Great for some people, just not all,  SP2 breaks alot of programs, just like linux can break programs or have dependancy isssues, Windows has Dependancy issues just as  much as linux, 
01-23-2005 01:49 AM
Striker

40 / Male / –
i dont understand much. i've had xp crash on me maybe a couple times since i've had it, and i've had it since the beginning. SP2 installed easy, no glitches.
linux or other such OS's have crashed on me multiple times, have had to reinstall it cause of errors a lot. Have had trouble installing it. so i donno. and i do like using a linux base system.
that said, i think the ppl who say that their windows crashes all the time are the people that just hate windows. so they say that to make it sound like the OS sucks.

and as for getting back on topic. I have my firewall disabled. I have zone alarm pro and im on a router. so i have no need for the firewall, and i dont want conflicts, so its disabled.
01-23-2005 05:56 AM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
Well, when I'm playing BFV I geta firewall popup asking if I would like to permit or block Battlefield, but I seemed to fix that....I unnom, It's alright I guess, it's just kinda annoying
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
01-23-2005 06:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Spade
You should not depend on just a router/nat firewall. This is because any computers inside your network are unprotected; many viruses/malware are network aware and can spread from machine to machine, and share to share, if not blocked by firewalls on each individual machine.

i dont use Winbloze al lthat much to care, im pretty much protected with linux either by the NAT/Router or the Firewall inside that is built into linux itself, 
01-23-2005 07:05 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: