What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [suggestion] Seperated features

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
[suggestion] Seperated features
Author: Message:
DeltaBlast

Wheeee!

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: [suggestion] Plus! Lite / seperated features
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo

How would this be done though? How can you make the preference panel so that it only contains some features? It would have to split up every feature and make the preferences more complex and unorganised.
>> each set of features already has their seperate header so that shouldn't really pose problems. Further you can choose what to install on the install itself (no seperate files, because that would become a complex mess indeed)

Firefox is the same as Plus. I don't think there is a version of Firefox where you choose what to install and what not to. You get one version of Firefox and you can add extensions to it. You get one version of Plus and you can add plugins to it. Its a system that works already.
>>FireFox is designed to have only the most basic of functions, the rest is extensions. plus on the other hand is loaded with functions, and the plugins are for third party functions.

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
wots globe image got to do with owt ??? face it, you and your friends are a very very small percentage of the group of users
>>You know what, forget it, you obviously just don't understand what I mean.

so u think theres 2 million people that have problems with it :undecided:
>>So you think everybody that registers here has a problem with it? ...

quote:
Originally posted by A. Madsen
Oh so now you removed the "Plus! Lite" from the thread title?

Obviously, because Lite is out of the question, as you showed me. But the other half of the suggestion is still viable, and I'm continuing with that.

This post was edited on 02-13-2005 at 04:29 PM by DeltaBlast.
ÐeltaBlast
Firemarble.com

He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
~
M.C. Escher
02-13-2005 04:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
RE: [suggestion] Seperated features
quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBlast
FireFox is designed to have only the most basic of functions, the rest is extensions.
Firefox is designed to have the most useful features straight out of the box. It is not designed to be basic at all. To be fair, I probably made a mistake in trying to compare the two.

Plus has lots of features this is true. So presenting a user with a list of 100 options to select from on install is silly. While certainly there are headers in the preferences panel, there are lots of options in each one. How does splitting these up make the preferences easier? You can only see one header at a time anyway. Your method will still show the same amount of options per page.

It really does suggest a lot of hard work, and time, for something that I would suggest is not worthwhile. Its the 90/10 theory. Patchou would spend 90% of his time trying to cater for 10% of the people. As there is only one developer of Plus, I can't see it happening I'm afraid :-/
02-13-2005 04:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
wots globe image got to do with owt ??? face it, you and your friends are a very very small percentage of the group of users
>>You know what, forget it, you obviously just don't understand what I mean.

yes i didn't understand what u posted, it just had nowt to do with anything

quote:
So you think everybody that registers here has a problem with it?
omg !! how much of a stupid reply could u give ?? wot has that got to do with anything :undecided: i was tryin to point out that many many poeple have no problem with the software, so don't come in for help or to post suggestion.

please also stop wrting with inside the quotes, its hard to see your reply
02-13-2005 04:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DeltaBlast

Wheeee!

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Seperated features
I think it would make developing new features easier, as they would be handled as seperate items without compromising the whole. Most programs already have in one way or another something like that on install. Look for example at winamp, at install you can choose to install with the media library and winamp agent, or without, or with just one of the two.

The autoupdate would know if you have a function installed or not, and if an update becomes available for a function you don't have installed, you don't need to update, which concludes to less bandwidth costs.

And I don't really think it would take much extra programming, because I think Plus is already build that way (with each function seperate) so Patchou would only need to extract each code and put them in in a different way :)

And if there is time to program annoying sounds in, why not this? ;) ;)

and @ toddy: I have no clue what you just said.

This post was edited on 02-13-2005 at 04:54 PM by DeltaBlast.
ÐeltaBlast
Firemarble.com

He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
~
M.C. Escher
02-13-2005 04:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
tbh most users like plus the way it is at the min, so can't see any of this happening i'm affraid
02-13-2005 04:59 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
I understand what you are saying. I agree that Plus has lots of features. And ironically its this that is stopping there from being a modular version.

Its easy to say that its possible to just have modules to select on install, but try to actually visualise the end product. How would the preferences panel actually look? Surely its going to be a lot of extra work for Patchou to make the panel dynamically built depending on what features were chosen. The prefences panel is already split up into modules. It doesn't seem to make sense to say remove one of them.

I understand you have concerns about memory usage having lots of extra features. Patchou has said that Plus uses around 1Mb of memory whereas Messenger itself can use around 15Mb, so it shouldn't really be an issue. That said, Plus 3.50 is supposed to use even less resources. So its all good :P
02-13-2005 05:11 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
i dont think this will happen because it would require patchou making more versions and the more he works on (pointless) things like this, the less time he will have to make the normal plus which would be a great shame :(

so.... no it wont be happening
02-13-2005 05:34 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: