What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » [updated 1/2/06] A-Patch v1.3.0 RC2 - 1 Million Downloads!

Pages: (30): « First « 9 10 11 12 [ 13 ] 14 15 16 17 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   [updated 1/2/06] A-Patch v1.3.0 RC2 - 1 Million Downloads!
Author: Message:
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [updated 30/04/05] A-Patch v1.1.4 - Support for 7.0.0813
quote:
Originally posted by A. Madsen
quote:
Originally posted by Markus
Don't know for sure... but Ahmad is much faster (after new msn releases) than the Mess patch crew :)
Because Mess Patch has to be translated in 11 languages before release :)

12... next versions will include italian too (I'm translating it) :)
05-01-2005 11:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alegator

RE: [updated 01/05/05] A-Patch v1.1.5 - Added even more features!
Ahmad, everytime I want to check who's online in my contact list I double click the MSN icon in the system tray, open the MSN window, check status of my contacts and close it. Do you think you could add a feature to your patch that will enable to do this by just hovering the mouse arrow on top of the system tray's MSN icon displaying a popup window listing the contacts that are online?
This would be very helpful as it would save all mouse clicks needed to check this.
05-01-2005 12:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Ahmad, everytime I want to check who's online in my contact list I double click the MSN icon in the system tray, open the MSN window, check status of my contacts and close it. Do you think you could add a feature to your patch that will enable to do this by just hovering the mouse arrow on top of the system tray's MSN icon displaying a popup window listing the contacts that are online?
This would be very helpful as it would save all mouse clicks needed to check this.
No, Ahmad's patch is a... patch, not a plugin or addon which adds additional code and functionality to msn messenger. Everything these patches do already exists in msn messenger in one way or the other, they simply move things around or disabled them...

---

Furthermore, hoovering over the tray icon will take you more time then simply double cliking on the icon. (An hoover action will only kick in after a certain amount of time!). And if many contacts are online (mind you that such things will not be made especially for you, but that other people should be able to use it also) you still need to scroll a list. All in all, this list will be nothing more than: ... your contactlist itself. So, in other words, I'm afraid this is even rather useless as a plugin or addon...

This post was edited on 05-01-2005 at 04:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-01-2005 04:47 PM
Caboose

35 / Male / –
Wow, I'm really amazed by you, Ahmad. You're doing an outstanding job on this, even better then the almighty Mess Patch! (Y)(Y)
05-01-2005 08:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
azur

iPod 4G 40GB www.azurundharis.de

36 / Male / –
hey nice job.. does this patch works with the german msn 7 ???
when i use your new patch and start msn and login i want to talk to someone then when i click on my person from the contact list there appears a windows
with " the conversation with .... couldnt start"
[Image: Azurr.png]
05-01-2005 08:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

RE: RE: [updated 01/05/05] A-Patch v1.1.5 - Added even more features!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevisedNo, Ahmad's patch is a... patch, not a plugin or addon which adds additional code and functionality to msn messenger. Everything these patches do already exists in msn messenger in one way or the other, they simply move things around or disabled them...

---

Furthermore, hoovering over the tray icon will take you more time then simply double cliking on the icon. (An hoover action will only kick in after a certain amount of time!). And if many contacts are online (mind you that such things will not be made especially for you, but that other people should be able to use it also) you still need to scroll a list. All in all, this list will be nothing more than: ... your contactlist itself. So, in other words, I'm afraid this is even rather useless as a plugin or addon...

1) I think this feature would be extremely useful, it would save all mouse clicks and a lot of time,and hence very convenient.
2) The convenience of this feature would be for ALL of us users of MSN, not JUST for me.
3) Conclusion: I posted this suggestion for the enjoyment of all of us, not just for my use.
Regards.
05-01-2005 09:26 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
1) I think this feature would be extremely useful, it would save all mouse clicks and a lot of time,and hence very convenient.
2) The convenience of this feature would be for ALL of us users of MSN, not JUST for me.
3) Conclusion: I posted this suggestion for the enjoyment of all of us, not just for my use.
Regards.
1) So what if you're saving one double click? One double click isn't much, is it? You made it sound like it is a big hassle to open your contactlist, well it isn't... And doing this by hoovering will not save you any speed, in fact it will be slower. Also, the mouse is there to be used....
2 & 3) That is not what I meant with that comment at all. If such a plugin was to be made, it must be made to handle a contaclist with 300 online contacts, because that IS possible. This means a HUGE inconvenient list or a scrollable list. This also means that it has to be displayed in a scrollable window. In other words, you will have again a window open AKA contactlist... And I also said "useable for everybody" because than you couldn't say: "but I only have 5 contacts on my list so that can be nicely listed in a popup menu" or something...

Furthermore you already have lots of options to see if certain contacts are online (eg: desktop contacts, or sorting by online/offline, etc...)

btw, there once was a whole big thread a long time ago about just the same suggestion (and the same arguments and same conclussion that it would be useless).

PS: I'm not bashing you or anything, just being realistic though ;)

EDIT: I'm not going to make another post for it, so:
quote:
the "checking" process would save opening and closing the MSN window.
The "checking" process would not save anything. The process requires to open a window with all your (online) contacts, this is just the same as your contactlist... and the process also would require the manual closing of the window, since it needs to be a scrollable window. There is absolutely no difference...
quote:
All of the options that you mention are not good alternatives to my suggestion, they all involve much more clicks
Opening your contactlist doesn't require "much more" clicks. In fact it requires 1 double click, and that's all.
quote:
Yes, the mouse is there to be used, but shortcuts are always welcome to save time.
true, but this isn't really a shortcut at all. Even if you don't believe it, it will be a longcut.

EDIT:
quote:
In case you have a lot of contacts (bigger than would fit in your screen), you can make the popup screen to show your online contacts autoscroll in the same fashion as say stock tickers or the like.Once it autoscrolls one cycle with all your online contacts it auto closes, so no intervention in the user=no clicks at all!
:rolleyes: That will take even more time (a LOT of time) then simply double clicking the tray icon...

(your method will take more then a couple of seconds to even find a contact, while double clicking the icon will take you less then a second to search for a contact)

You're making/suggesting it much much too complicated. Simply double click the icon man, it IS much shorter and convenient.

This post was edited on 05-05-2005 at 05:25 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-01-2005 11:49 PM
alegator

I'm not bashing you either, I really think it would be convenient. Many times you just want to check if a contact is online and the popup would serve that purpose. Then if you want to send him a message you could open the MSN as usual, but the "checking" process would save opening and closing the MSN window.All of the options that you mention are not good alternatives to my suggestion, they all involve much more clicks and in the case of dektop contacts even worse, invading your valuable desktop real estate, unless of course you don't use it for anything else. Yes, the mouse is there to be used, but shortcuts are always welcome to save time. That's just IMHO, otherwise I wouldn't have posted in the first place. I don't pretend that you agree with this, but I'm sure many do agree.

I'm also editing this post answering to your last one rather than posting separately (your quotes in bold italic):
"The "checking" process would not save anything. The process requires to open a window with all your (online) contacts, this is just the same as your contactlist... and the process also would require the manual closing of the window, since it needs to be a scrollable window. There is absolutely no difference..."
That's not true. In case you have a lot of contacts (bigger than would fit in your screen), you can make the popup screen to show your online contacts autoscroll in the same fashion as say stock tickers or the like.Once it autoscrolls one cycle with all your online contacts it auto closes, so no intervention in the user=no clicks at all!
Opening your contactlist doesn't require "much more" clicks. In fact it requires 1 double click, and that's all.
Again you're missing my point. I don't mean to check your online contacts once a days for example. What about if you want to check every 5 minutes? Then double clicking so frequently becomes tedious and an autopopup with the above features becomes convenient
true, but this isn't really a shortcut at all. Even if you don't believe it, it will be a longcut.
Again, such a shortcut becomes meaningful when you have a high frequency of checking on your online contacts. Sort of similar to a stock ticker with refreshable prices versus having to manually refresh a webpage with the stock prices every 5 minutes...
And not to mention if you have MSN Polygamy with more than one client open at the same time...!

This post was edited on 05-02-2005 at 09:53 AM by alegator.
05-02-2005 01:17 AM
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: [updated 01/05/05] A-Patch v1.1.5 - Added even more features!
quote:
Originally posted by azur
hey nice job.. does this patch works with the german msn 7 ???
when i use your new patch and start msn and login i want to talk to someone then when i click on my person from the contact list there appears a windows
with " the conversation with .... couldnt start"

Yes, it is compatible except for the "Offline Systray Status" feature... although you received that error because you did not patch on a clean install of MSN Messenger.
05-02-2005 04:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Poom

Ya-Ha!!!!

33 / Male / –
quote:
Ever tried clicking the icon in the systray once then send an instant message? That's what I always use to check who is online.
05-02-2005 10:37 AM
Pages: (30): « First « 9 10 11 12 [ 13 ] 14 15 16 17 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: