What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Offical 3.50 Torrent

Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Offical 3.50 Torrent
Author: Message:
mattm591

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Offical 3.50 Torrent
Well you had 1 good point
quote:
And for the tracker, maybe there's a good one listed on http://thebeehive.info
However, torrents aren't the past.. new sites are made faster than the MPAA and RIAA shut them down.. there efforts are pointless. Also torrents have great uses legally as well with game demos being quickly shared using them now by big name game demo sites. The legal uses for torrents are endless and I'm sure more and more sites will soon begin distributing their releases and updates using it.

This post was edited on 03-16-2005 at 08:32 PM by mattm591.
03-16-2005 08:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Offical 3.50 Torrent
Linux is most useful for larger files, such as Linux distros but is great for sharing the load of smaller files, when there a great demeand for it, as there will be for the new Plus!
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
03-16-2005 08:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I can assure you that spreading Plus! via P2P is NOT a good way at all!!!

1) Speeds the spreading? NO, the user has to know it exist before he can download something. So no benefit from here...
2) P2P are FULL, and I repeat FULL of virusses. You never know if the file you're downloading is virus-free...
3) Speeds up the downloading? NO, you still have to download the same amount of bytes
4) Convenience? NO, the user need to have a P2P client in order to be able to download anything from it...
5) Download speed? NO, downloading from P2P is far slower then downloading from a site directly...
6) Available latest version? NO, on P2P there is no way to control/check what the latest version is...
7) User information/convenience/related info/etc...? NO, there is no way that you can replace the informative original website with a P2P download...

and I can go on and on...

Although Messenger Plus! is free, and there is no restricting on mirroring the file. It is NOT recommended to put it everywhere for download. In fact, it is a bad thing for the end user. There is a damn good reason why original websites exist. Because you can always be sure that they contain proper information that the user needs to know, are up to date, and often contain additional important links. All this can NOT be found on P2P networks (and even on other sites for that matter)...

Hence I ALWAYS say that _if_ you're going to spread the file yourself, ALWAYS include a direct link to the original homepage. (as you can guess this goes for websites too, even in general (eg: someone asks you about a certain product, don't give the person a direct link, rather link to the original main download site!))

As an experienced PC user, I simply hate sites and the P2P method, where they only give you the file, mirrored on their own site, without further explaination or link to the main site. If you're lucky, the program in question contains a link to the main site, but that means you have to install a possible out-dated, buggy, infected version first....

To go back to Plus! itself: since last year I'm monitoring/searching some P2P networks for the Plus! setup file. I can tell you that 95% of all the Plus! files offered are corrupted and can do damage to user PCs (because they are bad downloaded in the first place, contain virusses, are incomplete downloads, are tampered with, etc...). To give a nice example of how 'corrupted' the whole system is: every month I download +-100Mb of NEW Plus! setups which I hadn't before, only a handful of them are actually valid and untampered with and most of those are within an archive file which contains other and dodgy stuff. Only very occasionally I come across a decent untampered clean Plus! setup...

Conclussion: no, please do NOT put Plus! on P2P networks, this will by no means help "spread" Messenger Plus!. In fact, it will damage the reputation of Messenger Plus! as users don't have a clue if their download is valid, untampered, up to date.

If you want to help to spread Plus! then spread the link to the main site instead, nothing more!!!

PS: and torrents also don't solve a thing! a torrent can easly be tampered with or be based on a corrupted file as well, there is absolutely no difference between torrents and other P2P methods for that matter...

This post was edited on 03-16-2005 at 08:56 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-16-2005 08:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mattm591

35 / Male / –
P2P????? BITTORRENT!!! BIG DIFF :P
03-16-2005 08:50 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mattm591
P2P????? BITTORRENT!!! BIG DIFF :P
No ? BitTorrent IS P2P. Just look under the "advanced" tab and you'll see the IPs of all people connected to the torrent --> unsecure !

Btw, good points cookie

This post was edited on 03-16-2005 at 08:55 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
03-16-2005 08:52 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Well, good argument Cookie, but some of your points don't seem to apply to this situation. We'd be using BitTorrent, not Gnutella/Kazaa or something dodgy like that, and the torrent file would probably only be hosted on this forum or the main site, where full details would be provided along with it. :^)
03-16-2005 08:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mattm591

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Offical 3.50 Torrent
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

1) Speeds the spreading? NO, the user has to know it exist before he can download something. So no benefit from here...

You get faster speeds
quote:
2) P2P are FULL, and I repeat FULL of virusses. You never know if the file you're downloading is virus-free...

Bit torrent is not and i repeat NOT
quote:
3) Speeds up the downloading? NO, you still have to download the same amount of bytes

But it's quicker cus bit torrent is faster than an overloaded server
quote:
4) Convenience? NO, the user need to have a P2P client in order to be able to download anything from it...

Bit torrent app actually, and many do... those who don't can still get normal .exe.. saves some bandwidth on the several thousands that have it
quote:
5) Download speed? NO, downloading from P2P is far slower then downloading from a site directly...

On popular torrents I get speeds of up to 60 kb/s compared to 58 kb/s on uber fast Microsoft servers.
quote:
6) Available latest version? NO, on P2P there is no way to control/check what the latest version is...

There is if Patchou supplies the torrent 8-)
quote:
7) User information/convenience/related info/etc...? NO, there is no way that you can replace the informative original website with a P2P download...

You can have it as well
quote:

and I can go on and on...

Well you better cus I proved ALL those points wrong
03-16-2005 08:55 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
People, NO, torrents are as insecure as any other means!!!! Don't be fooled.

* The files can still be hosted anywhere...
* If my PC is infected with a virus and I have no idea about it (actually even _if_ I know about it, I could easly do this on purpose to harm Plus!), I still can make a torrent file, people will not see/investigate the difference...
* etc...

Providing a torrent is by no means any more secure then pure P2P methods like Kazaa.... !!!

This post was edited on 03-16-2005 at 09:02 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-16-2005 09:00 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

RE: RE: RE: Offical 3.50 Torrent
quote:
Originally posted by mattm591
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

You get faster speeds
from what i remember, you don't :-/
quote:
quote:

Bit torrent is not and i repeat NOT
you want me to put one on it now?
quote:
quote:

But it's quicker cus bit torrent is faster than an overloaded server
not if you never upload anything
quote:
quote:

Bit torrent app actually, and many do... those who don't can still get normal .exe.. saves some bandwidth on the several thousands that have it
bandwidth ain't a problem, but it might on the client-side, which means bittorrent downloads will be slow as hell. (if the client doesn't upload)
oh and people want plus!, not some other application.
[qote]
quote:

On popular torrents I get speeds of up to 60 kb/s compared to 58 kb/s on uber fast Microsoft servers.
heard of a download accelerator?
quote:
quote:

There is if Patchou supplies the torrent 8-)
anyone can supply a torrent and say it's msgplus.
quote:
quote:

You can have it as well
others can just put their own fakes
03-16-2005 09:01 PM
mattm591

35 / Male / –
Lol now your just being silly... bittorrent is an extremley good method of sharing files. If many people are seeding a file (which happens on the big legal ones) then your speeds are going to be reaching your maximum possible. Viruses aren't found on bittorrent sites because it's a nice friendly system.. and also because the sites are moderated :) If Patchou is providing the torrent from msgplus.net then it's obviously not a virus so say goodbye to that argument. If people have bittorrent already then they can get the torrent and save bandwidth. If they don't then they can download the .exe. You can put up a torrent and you'll see it will be incredibly popular incredibly fast.

One last point.. downloadaccelerator = spyware ridden rubbish that does nothing

This post was edited on 03-16-2005 at 09:06 PM by mattm591.
03-16-2005 09:05 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: