What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Offical 3.50 Torrent

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
Offical 3.50 Torrent
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Offical 3.50 Torrent
quote:
Originally posted by mattm591
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
1) Speeds the spreading? NO, the user has to know it exist before he can download something. So no benefit from here...
You get faster speeds
I'm not talking about download speed here, but about the speed of spreading.
quote:
quote:
2) P2P are FULL, and I repeat FULL of virusses. You never know if the file you're downloading is virus-free...

Bit torrent is not and i repeat NOT..
Think again... Bittorrent has a bit less virus infected stuff, but is by no means virusfree and still has many many virusses...
quote:
quote:
3) Speeds up the downloading? NO, you still have to download the same amount of bytes
But it's quicker cus bit torrent is faster than an overloaded server
No, bittorrent is at best as fast, but in way faster. In fact, it often is much more slower.
quote:
quote:
4) Convenience? NO, the user need to have a P2P client in order to be able to download anything from it...

Bit torrent app actually, and many do... those who don't can still get normal .exe.. saves some bandwidth on the several thousands that have it
P2P programs are not as widespread as you might think. It is not because all your friends have them and you all enjoy downloading warez, that the whole world has them.
quote:
quote:
5) Download speed? NO, downloading from P2P is far slower then downloading from a site directly...

On popular torrents I get speeds of up to 60 kb/s compared to 58 kb/s on uber fast Microsoft servers.
Like I said above, that is the same speed! When you download something from someone else, you're bound to the upload speed of that person/server. If you download directly from the original main source, you are only bound by your own download speed. Also don't compare 1 server with the other, each has his own upload/download limits. But you can NEVER download anything faster then your own download speed. If you think you do, you are comparing the wrong things. eg: you could download a file from a torrent network at 100Kb because you have 2 sources to download from. When you would download that same file from its original source you most likely will have +100Kb in the first place... Again, this is a hard rumour that P2P networks would be faster.
quote:
quote:
6) Available latest version? NO, on P2P there is no way to control/check what the latest version is...
There is if Patchou supplies the torrent 8-)
so???? everybody can supply a torrent...
quote:
quote:
7) User information/convenience/related info/etc...? NO, there is no way that you can replace the informative original website with a P2P download...
You can have it as well
No you can not 8-)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-16-2005 09:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mattm591

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Offical 3.50 Torrent
??? Do you not understand what my point is.. their should be an offical torrent to get from the msgplus site.. that way you know it's not a virus... as for me and my friends being the world 8-) Over 2 million people used suprnova.. more than that have bittorrent. Loadsa people use it to download Linux builds, game demos and much more.... don;t be so close minded
03-16-2005 09:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Offical 3.50 Torrent
quote:
??? Do you not understand what my point is.. their should be an offical torrent to get from the msgplus site..
Do you not understand that everybody can fake an official messenger plus! torrent

And I can assure you that I'm by no means close minded. I know exactly what I'm talking about, instead of relaying on hard rumours and sayings.

This post was edited on 03-16-2005 at 09:21 PM by CookieRevised.
03-16-2005 09:19 PM
mattm591

35 / Male / –
Yes.. and everyone can put it up at www.msgplus.net ^o)
03-16-2005 09:20 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
Don't you understand anything of what you're being told?

The idea is to keep MsgPlus!'s name clean, not make everyone hate it. And P2P stuff are bound to make some users angry.

And, btw, people use P2P to get big files (or warez), the only small files you can get are old programs or sound files (MP3, etc.). It's pretty dumb to use a P2P for MsgPlus! when it's only 3MB and it's completely free.

Yeah, it could be good for the server, but then again, no one would look for a file like that in P2Ps. And that's why there's a main site with mirrors and all. Because people don't go through the trouble of getting a P2P program and searching and waiting to download a free, 3MB program. *-)

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

03-16-2005 09:21 PM
mattm591

35 / Male / –
Lol.. deary me.... P2p??? BIT TORRENT... get a program??? no.. its for people who already have it (over 2 mil ringin ne bells).. give it a bad name?? yeah like it gave a bad name 2 linux and the nfsug2 demo???
03-16-2005 09:22 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Please, please, please, pleaaaaaase,

do understand that people who download from P2P do NOT know the official site(s) from the files they download and that everybody can fake it....

And this is not all "if this", "if that", it is already happening... Like I said before, don't go telling me what people download and upload on P2P networks concearning Plus! as I'm monitoring several networks for over a year now...

I hate to say this, but first learn more about how the system works.

This post was edited on 03-16-2005 at 09:27 PM by CookieRevised.
03-16-2005 09:24 PM
mattm591

35 / Male / –
Lol.. I know jack shit about how P2P works.. well a lil more than that 2 be honest.. howeva I know a hellava lot about P2P.. hellava lot more than u.. apparently :P AND STOP SAYIN P2P THATS NOT WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!
03-16-2005 09:26 PM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
No question that BitTorrent is an extremely good p2p protocol compared to Kazaa and stuff like that... It's pretty secure because the program runs integrity checks all the time, so any 'bad' data is automatically discarded (dunno if this would work very well on such a small file though???).

But...
1) It usually takes a while for transfers to reach a decent speed.
2) People aren't gonna bother to open their clients just to download 4 MB...

So even thought BitTorrent is brilliant for larger files, I think it would seem a bit ridiculous to use it for MsgPlus... Also considering that several people on the forums set up mirrors every time.

quote:

AND STOP SAYIN P2P THATS NOT WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!

So you'd define BitTorrent as a server to peer transfer system? I can assure you it's p2p :P

This post was edited on 03-16-2005 at 09:30 PM by ZrednaZ.
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
03-16-2005 09:26 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
quote:
AND STOP SAYIN P2P THATS NOT WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!
BitTorrent IS P2P !!
You obviously don't understand shit about it.

This post was edited on 03-16-2005 at 09:28 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
03-16-2005 09:27 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: