What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Plus Icon in IMWindow

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Plus Icon in IMWindow
Author: Message:
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Plus Icon in IMWindow
If Patchou would put it there it would conflict with the User is Typing a Message text and Last Message Received on xx:xx wouldn't it?
[Image: 1-0.png]

03-20-2005 01:08 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pc_Madness

Yeah, thats a good point.  Right side would be a better choice, but again the size of the handwriting buttons is an issue.
03-20-2005 01:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Also the Plus! icon may be there as most countrys read left the right and is there for convience too :)

quote:
Are you a tester or a developer CookieRevised?

Yep he's a "offical tester" he has a small bar saying "offical tester" underneath his name :)

This post was edited on 03-20-2005 at 01:24 AM by mwe99.
03-20-2005 01:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

So thank you for your suggestions, but it will stay where it is, afterall it's only 24 pixels. That's less then 2 small letters. Your display picture takes more space, even when in the smallest size!

Errrm, wasn't that a bit harsh, Cookie? :-/
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
03-20-2005 02:18 AM
AiSard

wouldnt it be better if it was moved to above the top right bit of where you type? like to the left of ure DP if u have one. Where it used to be b4? Being on the left side of where i type is kinda annoying as, for one, im not used to it and it being there and all just feels wrong, two, i keep clicking on it every time i want to type because thats where i usually click to start typing.
All in all, i just feel that its out of place. Cant Patchou like make an option so it can be in either one place or the other cuz i dont want to disable it all together, i just dont like it where it is now, prefer it were it used to be (the lil' circular plus icon) Some ppl may use the plus functions all the time so it's convenient there but some ppl (like me) just use it every once in a while and its proving more of a distraction and irratation than conveniant.

PS. does anyone know where i can get MsgPlus 3.25? (i think thats the version b4 this one..)
03-20-2005 08:24 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pc_Madness
Are you a tester or a developer CookieRevised?
Yep, I'm an official tester and translator. I also develop my own private stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
Errrm, wasn't that a bit harsh, Cookie?
Yeah maybe. But accusing Patchou for not listening to suggestions is equaly harsh...

------

The icons are where they are. Like I said before, Patchou thinks about it before he is doing something. Every and each location suggested in this thread is not good for several reasons, and almost all those reasons can easly be discovered if you enable/disable DP's or toolbars, resize your conversation window, compare msn messenger 7 to 6, etc...

Like I said, the icons will stay where they are for very obvious reasons...

Recap:

All the space between, above, under the DP's is no good
=> DP's can be disabled resulting in loosing the space. (see my screenshot in this thread)

The formatting toolbar where it used to be is no good.
=> Since MSN Messenger 7 that toolbar is very, and I mean very full. Take in consideration that even without the Plus! icons there and in MSN Messenger 7, even not all the standard icons can be shown when your conversation window is small.

Making a tab besides the handwriting and a slide menu is no good.
=> Not only wouldn't it be directly accessable, it also isn't how buttons/"icons" work. There is a convention you must follow when writing Windows Applications. You can't go changing the beheviour of a standard element in Windows; the user would be confused. Besides, Plus! is an addon and it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to make something like that with an addon.

On the left side of the tabs is no good.
=> That is the place where messages are shown. Also, when you resize your conversation window to very small, there isn't even enough room to display the icons in some languages in MSN Messenger 6 since the tabs will take all the space. Also note that there can be more tabs then the two you most likely see by default in MSN Messenger 7.

On the right side of the tabs is no good.
=> Same as above... plus RTL language-consideration.

On the right side of the typing area (because you accidently click on it all the time).
=> Not only will it look ugly, the problem of accidental clicking will be doubled: you have the send button there, and people with RTL languages will also have the same problem...

------

The place where it is now is the best place there is. If there is another one then it will be changed _IF_ possible, but all the places suggested by now are no good.

------

I'm sorry. But I fail to see what's so 'space-taking' about the 24 pixel wide panel. Like I said, your DP takes more space. If you want as much as space as possible, disable your DP, it is functionless anyways.
quote:
Originally posted by AiSard
Some ppl may use the plus functions all the time so it's convenient there but some ppl (like me) just use it every once in a while and its proving more of a distraction and irratation than conveniant.
Then disable it and use either the shortcuts, commands, main Plus!-menu, or the other advanced icon (msgr7) or the action submenu (msgr6).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-20-2005 03:29 PM
noroom

www.noroom.tk

O.P. RE: Plus Icon in IMWindow
If I make the chatwindow small enough, the "Packs" icon disappears and you don't see Microsoft complaining.

In MSN6 you could hide the formatting toolbar.
That didn't stop Patchou from placing the Plus! icon there.

I don't see why he couldn't place it somewhere where it could be hidden in some cases. I'd rather have to click twice than have it taking up useful space.

Edit:

Oh, and he could put the Sound icon as a subitem in the Plus! icon, reducing the amount of icons to place in the chatwindow to half.

This post was edited on 03-20-2005 at 05:42 PM by noroom.
03-20-2005 05:40 PM
Impheatus

40 / Male / –
I agrre with noroom...
CookieRevsied, the problem isn't the 24 pixels, but it just feels wrong in there... you know what I mean?
Is the same as the convention between tabs and buttons... is the heuristic in developing a program...
I think the last post noroom did is pretty good and it beats every "BUT" you wrote b4.
I'm not saying that what you said was useless, since you are a mod that really helps ppl in these formus.

To help improve noroom's idea, I would like to suggest that the "Enhanced icons" feature could come with some options so you can select where to place these 2 icons.

Some options could be:
- Place enhanced icons next to "ban" and "color scheme" buttons
- Place enhanced icons in the formatting toolbar
- Place enhanced icons next to "handwrite" and "text" tabs

This way, people could select just where to place these USEFULL icons and anybody would be complainning about it; in addition that the icons would not disappear for disabling any toolbar since you can change the Plus! icons position.

Some other options could be added... Like for instance: having a little arrow that hides/shows (like the one in the display picture) the enhanced toolbar.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=412994]

I hope these suggestions are not only read, but considered,  because, in my opinion, this is an important subject to discuss and think about.

Thank you.

.png File Attachment: Show-Hide.PNG (63.79 KB)
This file has been downloaded 497 time(s).

This post was edited on 03-21-2005 at 08:38 AM by Impheatus.
03-21-2005 07:46 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Impheatus
CookieRevsied, the problem isn't the 24 pixels, but it just feels wrong in there... you know what I mean?
Is the same as the convention between tabs and buttons... is the heuristic in developing a program...
No it isn't the same. What Messenger Plus! does is extending the toolbar to the left. Thus those few pixels aren't a typing area anymore and shouldn't be considered as a typing area but as the 'Plus! toolbar'.

quote:
....and nobody would be complainning about it
I can assure you that people always will be complaining about something...

quote:
I would like to suggest that the "Enhanced icons" feature could come with some options so you can select where to place these 2 icons.
Although it is a possible suggestion, it isn't realy needed as all the functions of the icons are also available either with shortcuts, commands, in the main Plus!-menu, in the other advanced icon (msgr7) or the action submenu (msgr6).

The whole point of those other menu's, commands and shortcuts, etc. is that you have that choice; that you can decide if you want to use/enable the small toolbar or not.

eg: instead of pressing on the sound icon, simply type the command /sound.

If you want the functionality but you don't want the panel, then simply disable the panel and use these provided alternatives. It's why they are there...

quote:
Some other options could be added... Like for instance: having a little arrow that hides/shows (like the one in the display picture) the enhanced toolbar.
That's the only suggestion in this whole thread that makes some sense IMHO.

But then again, if it is all about available space, then this feature will make the panel even wider and thus making the typeing area even smaller (although I realy realy can't see how 24px is such a big problem in such a wide typeing area in the first place). If it is about 'looking misplaced', then the closed panel will still look misplaced (and you still would have some x pixels wide panel). If it is about convenience: "so you can click twice to get to the sound panel" as alternative as noroom doesn't seem to have a problem with, then simply use the Plus! menu. 1 click on the menu, and 1 click on the "send an emoticon sound" menuitem... (edit: or simply use the shortcut => CTRL+Q)

This post was edited on 03-21-2005 at 10:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-21-2005 05:20 PM
Impheatus

40 / Male / –
Well I think you could be right. I think I'll disable that toolbar and use the shortcuts (even if it takes more time).

But then again, the little hide/show arrow could be implemented "easily" and it would be pretty convenient to have.

Thanks anyways CookieRevised for your support.
03-21-2005 06:43 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: