What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Something has to be done

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
Something has to be done
Author: Message:
TaKYoN

ED-209

RE: RE: Something has to be done
quote:
Originally posted by The Don
I never said adware its sell is nice. What I was implying was that I think its nice to install the sponser so that way it helps patchou.

Oh and so what if i have selective hearing/reading :dodgy:

Fine, you install the software, your choice.  The problem is that in this day and age it is not just the ppl in the know who guard against spy/adware, nowadays everybody knows adware is bad, but they do not have the knowledge to distinguish and the like.

We all know this is harmless, but they do not.

Oh and if you have selective hearing/eyesight, maybe you should get that checked out ;-)
[Image: taksig.jpg] Still British.  Still proud.
03-22-2005 09:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
banky

Fwee

34 / Male / –
RE: Something has to be done
I checked it out they said i have some thing called a.d. holy shit did you know msgplus has an optional sponser :D
03-22-2005 09:56 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
TaKYoN

ED-209

LOL
03-22-2005 10:03 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
So simply because n00b people don't read, Patchou should comply and remove the sponsor? That is no solution at all, in fact it will only keep the dumb people, even more dumb and not aware of things...

This is exactly what other programs do. eg. some anti-spyware programs or anti-virus programs don't make a clear destinction anymore between adware/spyware/virusses (even not for the experienced user). Result? More and more people start to think they are all the same....

If a baby can't read, you don't ban all books, don't you? You teach them by showing, so they can experience themself what is what...

this said....
-----

@c00ly: your friends, do they use the English translation? If not, what translation are they using? Cause it can be quite possible that some translations aren't made clear enough in their options in the sponsor setup screen....
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-22-2005 12:11 PM
Shaggie

– / Male / Flag
I agree that the Sponsor Installation should remain in the Installer.  I say again - Keep the sponsor.

I think the biggest problem is because of using words like "I agree" or "I accept".  Perhaps the first option should read something like the following
"Install the optional Sponsor program with Messenger Plus!"
or
"Include the optional Sponsor program with the Messenger Plus! Installation"

I think when people see "I agree" or "I accept" it is a trigger for them.  They say "Oh I have to click that or else I can't install it".  This is why I suggest a change in the wording of the sponsor agreement.

Let me say one last time that Patchou should keep the sponsor program.  Everyone agrees that he needs to earn a living, and this provides him with at least one source of Income to justify continued work on Messenger Plus!, ignoring the fact that he enjoys working on this.  Without this source of income, I beleive it is likely that he would be personally compelled to spend significantly less time on Messenger Plus!.

Also I wanted to say that I would not have even bothered to say anything, had it not been for this thread.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.
03-22-2005 04:05 PM
Caboose

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggie
I think the biggest problem is because of using words like "I agree" or "I accept".  Perhaps the first option should read something like the following
"Install the optional Sponsor program with Messenger Plus!"
or
"Include the optional Sponsor program with the Messenger Plus! Installation"

I think when people see "I agree" or "I accept" it is a trigger for them.  They say "Oh I have to click that or else I can't install it".  This is why I suggest a change in the wording of the sponsor agreement.
EXACTLY! You hit the nail on the head that time. If anyone disagrees with that, then I'm sorry, but you've got some problems. Everyone knows that's how people react to installations, even if they're an experienced computer user.

I don't wish to get on Patchou's nerves or anything, but I still think something, even if it's as simple as changing the wording, should be done. Like I said, he could do that even for just one version, then in the next version, he could go back to the normal one and see the difference in sponsor installs/users.

Meh, I'm almost sick of debating :dodgy:

[EDIT]: I would also like to know if there's a donation 'link' so if I ever get some money later, I can give it to Patchou :)

This post was edited on 03-22-2005 at 04:28 PM by Caboose.
03-22-2005 04:26 PM
TaKYoN

ED-209

I also agree he should keep it, never said otherwise, but re-wording would help.

I also agree on the trigger theory, this is exactly what has happened to some of the ppl I have recommended this prog too, and it then takes me a while to explain to them that it is not malicious.

No-one answered me either regarding donations?  Does Patchou accept them, if so where is the link so I can point ppl in the right direction.
03-22-2005 04:26 PM
NoMeN

i think the (optional) adaware should be removed. people just read the first part of the sentence: "I accept...." and click it. thats why so many people install all the adware... and then complain about msg plus! :(
03-22-2005 04:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
King For A Day

Vince Noir: King Of the Mods

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Leo
If no one wants to read, that's their problem.

but its not, its patchous problem because then nodoy will use the program, and if they dont use it he gets nothing and if he gets nothiing then theres no plus

is a cycle,

but is there an alternative to adware?

Edit my mistake

This post was edited on 03-22-2005 at 04:42 PM by King For A Day.
[Image: smaller6mh.png]
03-22-2005 04:37 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by King For A Day
quote:
Originally posted by Leo
If no one wants to read, that's their problem.

but its not, its patchous problem because then nodoy will use the program, and if they dont use it he gets nothing and if he gets nothiing then theres no plus

is a cycle,

many many people use plus. most of them know about the adware. if one smart person can tell others not to just accept. everything should be fine.....patchou should leave the adware it only harms people who agree they want it on they're pc. not patchou's fault if they don't read......

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
03-22-2005 04:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: