What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Linux Capabilities

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
Linux Capabilities
Author: Message:
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
RE: Linux Capabilities
quote:
Originally posted by spokes
Does anyone know of a linux that will run on 256mb of ram and an intel celeron, i tried to install fedora on it before but it used to take ages to load and then it wud crash
I'm not quite sure, but maybe you should try 386 distros (which will work on all intel-compatible processors from 386) instead of 686 ones (which are focused on Athlon's and Pentium4's).
04-13-2005 07:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Mankdake had drivers for all my hardware except my dialup modem, which I found nowhere else either.

Mandrake's installer auto partitioned my disk for me, thouhg if you want to do it yourself (like I did on my second installation), I recomend PowerQuest Partition Magic 8, works a charm. Hmmm . . . looking for that link I discovered that PowerQuest has been bought out by Symantec, it's now Norton PartitionMagic™ 8.0.

For those that don't know, a partition is a formatted section of a disk. A physical disk with more than one partition will appear as seperate drives in Windows, with theire own drive letter.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-13-2005 07:59 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by johny
I have these doubts about Linux based systems...

- What can Linux Systems do with more efficience then windows?

- What are the good and the bad points of linux?

:) Thanks

google or browse the Net ..for the cons an pro's.. but if you want advice .. Linux is Security an more updateed technology than windows  like for example thje Linux kernel compared to windows Kernel

quote:
Does anyone know of a linux that will run on 256mb of ram and an intel celeron, i tried to install fedora on it before but it used to take ages to load and then it wud crash

Fedora Core really needs 10Gig HDD depends if your running Games an or lots of Mp3's  256 aint really enough but 512 is , read the recommended install notes of fedora

This post was edited on 04-13-2005 at 09:32 AM by Hank.
04-13-2005 09:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
quote:
a linux that will run on 256mb of ram
quote:
Originally posted by Demz
needs 10Gig HDD
Hello, talking about different things :P

Btw, 256Mb is ok for any distribution available. It shouldn't slow it down very much.
04-13-2005 09:43 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
For me .... linux has more advantages like customisability and speed but it looses out compatibility on stuff like some software and most games.
So thats a total no no for a normal home user who surfs the net, listens to songs, plays games and does some work on the pc. (Normal cause some ppl on the forum r not exactly "normal" users as they do a lot of proggying n stuff. By normal i mean simple basic stuff :P)
For office n all linux is good for home uses ..... windows is the best imo ;)
So it all depends on what context do u mean it :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
04-13-2005 10:25 AM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
home user who surfs the net, listens to songs, plays games and does some work on the pc

Linux can surf the net, it has many own Browsers and even Firefox works in Linux, You can listen to music al the way long, there's plenty of mp3 players. You can play many games, since they are started to be ported to linux, however, the people at wine (in short: windows emulator for Linux) are doing a great job to get many games to be played in Linux. Doing some work is possible. OpenOffice.org is just as good as MS Office. And better, it's free.

Actually, as normal user, you shouldn't be afraid of trying Linux, since a basic install does already come with most applications you will need. Additionally, there are easy ways (easier than in Windows, where there's no such feature) to get and install software you need without having to open your browser. ;)
04-13-2005 11:08 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Linux can surf the net, it has many own Browsers and even Firefox works in Linux, You can listen to music al the way long, there's plenty of mp3 players. You can play many games, since they are started to be ported to linux, however, the people at wine (in short: windows emulator for Linux) are doing a great job to get many games to be played in Linux. Doing some work is possible. OpenOffice.org is just as good as MS Office. And better, it's free.
I know :P I was refering to it as windows is more user compatible .... helpful to new users ;)
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
04-13-2005 11:24 AM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I know :P I was refering to it as windows is more user compatible .... helpful to new users ;)

Yeah, in some ways it is :P

But Linux Desktoppers are doing great efforts to change this and if you try the newest KDE you will see it's very easy to use and to configure, letting power users tweak anything like windows, styles, behaviours and shortcuts. Well, it's just a question of time, imo, to see home in-the-box PC's with some Linux pre-installed. :o
04-13-2005 11:30 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
PC's with some Linux pre-installed.
:rolleyes:
Windows is becomming more n more costly :dodgy:
Adding so much ..... and becoming costlier ..... plus u need nice specs too for it too run perfectly smoothly ... :P Blah ... that doesnt make a difference cause u cant expect to run xp in 30 mb ram .... 64 is the minimu rite ^o)
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
04-13-2005 11:36 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
wine (in short: windows emulator for Linux)
WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-13-2005 12:31 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: