What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Linux Capabilities

Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
Linux Capabilities
Author: Message:
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Roll Eyes  Linux Capabilities
I have these doubts about Linux based systems...

- What can Linux Systems do with more efficience then windows?

- What are the good and the bad points of linux?

:) Thanks
04-12-2005 06:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Linux Capabilities
The answers are widely variable, depending on context. All I can say is Linux makes the most sense for business and servers, where the speed, stability and security beat Windows hands down, and Windows is better for home users as it is more user-friendly.

However, I recommend Googling for more information ;)
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-12-2005 06:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
Well Linux is far more customable then Windows. You can mod stuff and make stuff for it. So that's one positive over Windows.
AC3
04-12-2005 06:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Linux:
-Stabillity
-Security
-Free

Windows:
-User friendly
-Runs most of the software available (Linux can't run games and some ohter software)

You can find pretty much info on Google.
[Image: signature.php]
04-12-2005 06:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Linux Capabilities
Ok thank you all :)..i'm currently downloading Kubuntu..anyway i have 2 other questions..any driver will work with linux?and all linux software will work in any linux mod?
04-12-2005 07:03 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
Linux is free to use, to copy, to distribute and to modify. This makes software developers feel engaged in improving existing software which results in much better designed/capable and more secure than most other propietary closed software.

However, Linux can run closed software perfectly. However, the fact of distributing a source code gives users the option to optimize software for the own machine making it severely faster or environmentally friendly.

It's true that many of the advanced options you may find in Windows are not accessible in Linux but by editing struggling files or typing uncomprehensible commands. but this seems to change from time to time and the competition amongst distributions is a heavy, so every group makes great steps in usability and user-friendliness every release they make.

It's a great chance to explore new horizons without being afraid of compatibility. Don't care about it, there's plenty of programs that will open your PDF's and your MSOffice docs, play your DVD's and get you connected to Messenger. Also, I must say 80% of distributions detected my hardware better than Windows (They even found my rare laptop ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 I couldn't seem to find a driver for, in Windows).

End Of Blahblah

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by johny
all linux software will work in any linux mod

This is not always true. You should make sure you download software that's focused on your Visual platform (actually either Gnome or KDE in most cases). Gnome apps will look fairly rough in KDE and vice-versa, will be however usable.

It's also better to choose the most-alike to your distribution package. For example, Ubuntu software will work well on Kubuntu and most likely Debian's, too. At least better than a SuSE- or Mandrake-ported package. (Read above about optimizing)

Other than that, there are several installing methods. But generally, reading the "how to install" or the readme will help you out in installing Red Hat's RPM's in Kubuntu (which is based on Debian).

This post was edited on 04-12-2005 at 07:15 PM by KeyStorm.
04-12-2005 07:08 PM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
No not nessacarly, most drivers will not work with Linux I believe.
AC3
04-12-2005 07:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Linux Capabilities
I need to know about drivers :S...(Kubuntu is at 38 %)...cause if my Network adapter driver won't work, i might just say i wont use it, cause, i need web lol...anyway, i can have installed with windows at the same time right?(Obviously...) lol...
04-12-2005 07:32 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Linux can happily co-exist with Windows on a dual-boot machine, though such a setup should only be attempted if you feel you can do it.
As for drivers, most common hardware have drivers available, often packaged in the distro. Just be wary about the latest hardware, and more exotic devices.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-12-2005 07:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
johny, Kubuntu detects your network cards at the beginning of the installation and allows you to set up the Internet configuration (using TCP/IP) but first autodetects it (using DHCP where available). If you install it on a machine that's running Windows, it will create a GRUB Boot menu that will let you choose between Kubuntu and Windows (and any other distros you may install in the future)
04-12-2005 08:00 PM
Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: