What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Download.com bans Messenger Plus!

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
Download.com bans Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
user35870
Disabled Account

RE: Download.com bans Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I will send a similar e-mail to them, and I urge everyone else to. Not just to be a pain in the arse

I will send an email :) I think they should allow optional adware programs.

This post was edited on 04-30-2005 at 08:17 AM by user35870.
04-30-2005 08:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
*stares at the massive bold "NO EXCEPTIONS" banner on their home page...*
Rafy.

04-30-2005 08:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by chris100
quote:
I will send a similar e-mail to them, and I urge everyone else to. Not just to be a pain in the arse

I will send an email :) I think they should allow optional adware programs.
I dont think this would do anything. It's just a waste of time. They had already made ther choice. They aren't going to change it.

04-30-2005 08:27 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes

I dont think this would do anything. It's just a waste of time. They had already made ther choice. They aren't going to change it.
Their choice most likely didn't take optional adware into account, and I would like to hear their opinion on optional adware, I would like to hear their opinion on it.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
04-30-2005 09:11 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by war59312
Now why can't there just be two version of Plus?

One with optional ad-ware like it is now and one without. Only give download.com the one without optional ad-aware.
it wouldnt work, people would start spreading that link insteald of the one in msghelp.net (even i would give the link to the non-sponsored plus! version to my friends who dont read agreements, so they dont complain after installing it :p)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
04-30-2005 09:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
RE: RE: Download.com bans Messenger Plus!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes

Their choice most likely didn't take optional adware into account, and I would like to hear their opinion on optional adware, I would like to hear their opinion on it.

Actually their original policy was to disallow programs with CONCEALED adware in it. There was none of that there in the first place.
They allowed programs with OPTIONAL adware in their old poilicy (hence why plus! was allowed.)

Their new policy goes further, not olny disallowing concealed adware, but also optional adware as well.

So you already know their opinion on it. Their new policy IS to remove programs with OPTIONAL adware in it. If they allowed optional adware it would be a COMPLETE reversal of their new policy. It wont happen.

This post was edited on 04-30-2005 at 09:44 AM by -rafy-.
Rafy.

04-30-2005 09:36 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
This puts Patchou in a really weird position. The whole point of the current competition is to promote Plus! To let more users know about it and the benefits it has. Not only does this help the users themselves by enhancing their messaging experience in the long run it supports Patchou even more so that he can continue to make a better program! (An example of this is the new servers that Patchou has to constantly maintain and pay for himself.)

So by Msgplus being removed by download.com you'd also think other download sources might in the long run start doing the same if people respond to it as a positive thing (which i can't see why they wouldn't). This is completely opposite to what Patchou was intending with the current competition.

If Patchou does remove the optional sponsor then even with more visibility on the internet leading to more users downloading it then his income will disappear. I'm sure advertisements will bring in some money but will it be enough to keep Patchou coding msgplus? More and more users will mean that more sound servers will be needed in the future also if this feature keeps up its popularity.

I wonder what Patch will do/say to this :P
Segosa is newb.
04-30-2005 12:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sjoerd_

I think we have to see this matter in two divided parts.

More and more people find out how much trouble spyware and adware can cause you. Websites like download.com take advantage of this by stating that they have a clear policy against it.

Although things like this might not be very nice for the spreading of Messenger Plus! I think download.com is going the right way by simply disallowing everything that has anything to do with spyware and/or adware on their website.

Of course I love Messenger Plus! like most of us but I think the sponsor is a bit overkill... I do want to offer my support but I don't want my computer full of ads for a "simple plugin"... So I'm also not going to defend it here...

Ask yourself... Do you love Messenger Plus!? Do you want to support it? Then why didn't you accept the sponsor...
04-30-2005 12:27 PM
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
Yes I share the same sentiments as sjoerd_ I want to support plus! but not by having my computer full of adware......the sponsor program is a bit of overkill imho.

Advertising will provide revenue, but not as much as currently comes in through adware.. But i think that ethically the sponsor be removed and other revenue sources that are less intrusive to peoples computers (these are the computers of the millions of people who support msgplus!).  Im sure a variety of other revenue sources could be found.

Patch does have a bit of a wierd situation on his hands as you say chestah

It will be interesting to see what patch has to say when he returns.
Rafy.

04-30-2005 12:36 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Download.com bans Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
This puts Patchou in a really weird position.
No it doesn't...

quote:
The whole point of the current competition is to promote Plus! To let more users know about it and the benefits it has.
The point is to promote Messenger Plus!, not to promote all the various unofficial sources where you can download Messenger Plus!.

Although, less people will stumble across Messenger Plus! now, this doesn't mean it goes against the purpose of promoting it...

quote:
So by Msgplus being removed by download.com you'd also think other download sources might in the long run start doing the same if people respond to it as a positive thing (which i can't see why they wouldn't). This is completely opposite to what Patchou was intending with the current competition.
(thus) No it isn't... The competition/promotion is for Messenger Plus! itself (and to download it from the official site, not for all the unofficial sources to download from.)

quote:
Originally posted by Sjoerd_
Of course I love Messenger Plus! like most of us but I think the sponsor is a bit overkill... I do want to offer my support but I don't want my computer full of ads for a "simple plugin"...
quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
Yes I share the same sentiments as sjoerd_ I want to support plus! but not by having my computer full of adware......the sponsor program is a bit of overkill imho.
Then buy something from the Online Store, it's there especially for that purpose...

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
But i think that ethically the sponsor be removed and other revenue sources that are less intrusive to peoples computers (these are the computers of the millions of people who support msgplus!).  Im sure a variety of other revenue sources could be found.
This has been discussed so many times. No there aren't any other revenue sources to be found.... (unless you name one, and Patchou would be happy to hear about it)

This post was edited on 04-30-2005 at 03:02 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-30-2005 02:57 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: