What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Download.com bans Messenger Plus!

Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
Download.com bans Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: Download.com bans Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
That's all and great, but what's your solution? Removing the sponsor? Replacing it with an ad banner in the preferences panel? That would:

a) increase Plus popularity significantly
b) decrease Patchou's income completely or significantly
c) make features such as the one you mention, sound emotions, financially inviable. They are not free to run.

I don't have one solution that i can give that would increase Plus's! popularity while increasing Patchou's income and allowing more expensive features to remain. Its a tricky situation ;)

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

This is just the same as the fact that I never was (and never will be) a big supporter of direct download/mirror links to software on unofficial sites but rather direct links to informative official sites where the user has all the crucial info he needs...

Very good point Cookie :P, i understand what you mean in that regard. But even though more people are becomming aware about the effects of spyware not everyone will therefore distinguish Plus as being
A) Optional &
B) A unevasive sponsor which is easily uninstalled.

Some people will do the opposite and start categorising everything remotely near spyware as it. You must know this as you hear it on the forums all the time, its reoccurent - its not going to stop as people learn more about spyware. Sure theres going to be a large amount of people that will finally understand that Plus! does not damage your system. But theres also going to be people that will falsely accuse Plus! of being malacious as the issue of spyware increases.

An example of this is my grandmother, i go to her house and try and help her with her computer and half my software i can't even install because it might be spyware and might delete all her thousands of photos! She hears anything on trusted sources and then takes it a step further and believes that anything remotely near spyware (optional sponors) is not good!

Nice discussion we have going here though, you can see the whole arugment from multiple sides :)
Segosa is newb.
05-02-2005 06:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Thanks for the support and the comments everyone. Don't worry, download.com informed me of their decision a month ago already... I didn't get that much downloads from that site anywhere so my official position is simply: I don't care :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-05-2005 12:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
All i ever noticed from download.com was people spreading rumours about very agressive spyware/viruses and even people saying the sponsor will install even if you choose not to. Plus! might even get more downloads instead of less because those bad reviews been deleted too :D
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-05-2005 12:19 AM
XM4ST3RX

DJ Scoop!

37 / Male / –
Hi,

It's just nowt about removing the sponsor because Patchou wont be able to keep the servers up for certain features etc...

This is Patchou's full-time job... so without income, he will be unable to live. This would force him into getting another job and quitting development on Messenger Plus!

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX
05-05-2005 12:20 AM
alewington

!._.!

– / Male / –
RE: RE: Download.com bans Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Maybe all of us should complain to download.com, I can't see why they should remove programs that are bundled with optional adware...

Im with traxtor; lets all complain to download.com!

what about adding it again, adding a sponser removing patch or just adding it without the sponser (to download.com)?
05-05-2005 01:20 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Nice discussion we have going here though, you can see the whole arugment from multiple sides
(Y)
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
All i ever noticed from download.com was people spreading rumours about very agressive spyware/viruses and even people saying the sponsor will install even if you choose not to. Plus! might even get more downloads instead of less because those bad reviews been deleted too
exactly!
quote:
Originally posted by alewington
Im with traxtor; lets all complain to download.com!
wont do any good; will not have any result...
quote:
what about adding it again
That's not up to "us" (or Patchou) to decide. It's download.com who decides.
quote:
adding a sponser removing patch
This will never happen and is also not needed since you can choose to not install the sponsor, or uninstall the sponsor by normal means.
quote:
or just adding it without the sponser (to download.com)?
Will never happen. There will always be only 1 version of Messenger Plus!.

PS: don't double post!
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-05-2005 01:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

Thanks for the support and the comments everyone. Don't worry, download.com informed me of their decision a month ago already... I didn't get that much downloads from that site anywhere so my official position is simply: I don't care:).

If it doesn't affect Plus! in the short term then i spose it doesn't matter :P - lets hope the  anti-spyware programs that are incorrectly stating that Plus! is spyware fix up their mistakes soon as well :).

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:

or just adding it without the sponser (to download.com)?

Will never happen. There will always be only 1 version of Messenger Plus!.

If Patchou made 2 versions of msgplus!, one without the optional sponsor and one without do you think anyone would download the one with it? Not only would it be a larger filesize but it would contain the chance of people misreading and installing the sponsor.
Segosa is newb.
05-05-2005 10:21 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: