What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
[Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
Author: Message:
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
to install plus on this messenger you need this register key

HKCR\CLSID\{0D81DFEC-5610-4a2b-9B57-FC33D21366F0}\LocalServer32

And the value is the directory where you installed msn. Because plus can install without admin priviliges ;)
Ah cool (Y)

But that won't help everyone, because some people just can't run insatllers, not becuase of just no admin permissions, but not having access to insatll files to c:\program files etc
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
05-11-2005 11:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
_cindern

Now Sugar Free.

O.P. RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
Yes, I did just package the files using WinRAR, however this is because I needed something portable quite fast so I made a crappy little extractor.

However I Messenger Live! will have a customer extractor within the next few releases (most likely version 1.50). Also I am at the moment coding a few little extras for Messenger Live! which I will be revealing later this week (maybe even today).

Thanks for reading,

_cindern
05-12-2005 02:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
To me Messenger Live looks the same as/similar to Risico Messenger.

See "CookieRevised reply to...Portable Plus".
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-12-2005 02:57 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
To me Messenger Live looks the same as/similar to Risico Messenger.

See "CookieRevised reply to...Portable Plus".
indeed... and since there is a new thread about this "Live Messenger", I'll repeat what I've said before on mess.be.... I don't care if this is cross posting, this is something everybody should read and understand about such programs/packages before even thinking about using it (or creating another one):

This sounds exactly like that crappy "Risico Messenger". Thus may I point out the things I've said there concearning such "new" MSN Messengers: http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=6304

In short: there is nothing special about it at all. You can easly get the same "result" if you just copy all your files in your standard MSN Messenger directory to another directory (or to you memory stick for all I care).

The reason why this will NOT work in many circustances is because the MSN Messenger package needs far more things to be installed and above all registered to work properly 100%; Also, everything will still be stored (and LEFT after you've finished!!!!!!!!) in the registry, making it a pseudo-security risk for some people. It will also still use the default directories, again making it a possible risk for some people.

I can't say this enough, but people, do not be fooled!!. There is absolutely NOTHING special about such "new" MSN Messengers, they are simply the basic MSN Messenger files copied to another directory.

And this means: all your things will be saved in the default locations. In other words, such MSN Messengers repackages will not magically solve your access problems in schools at all!!!

In fact, they can/will cause your more trouble... even if you don't know about it <= and that is the main reason why I hate such stuff. Most people who use such Messengers don't even know there settings are stored in the registry, they don't even know there is an application directory, they don't even know their logs are saved, etc... etc... Simply copying all the files, which is all this "new" installer does, will only result in errors and what not on MANY systems.

In other words, if you realy want to use such a method, simply prepare your own msn messenger with whatever patch, skin, etc you like and copy all the files to a memory stick or something and you will have your own "Risico Messenger" or "Live Messenger"; it will be EXACTLY the same...

Now some legal notes (who cares about them, but at least get your facts correct):
quote:
Originally posted by Profi
Although I do have 1 version that has been patched (Splinter Edition), that is the ony thing that breaks the MSN Messenger ToS in these packages, I don't like breaking the ToS.
Excuse me? Redistributing MSN Messenger or tampering with the files, both in any form, DOES break the ToS and your "Messenger Live" is as illegal as shooting a random person on the street.

quote:
Originally posted by Profi
Messenger Live!™
And where does the Trademark come from? Did you register the name "Messenger Live"? You can only (legally) use trademark signs if the name is really being trademarked...

-----

Now for my personal opinion: stop making those crap repackaged installers, they do nothing more then damage to the unknowledgable user (and its them who are going to use such things mostly). If you do want to make something for school or the likes, then explain how people should simply copy their files. And, AND!, explain that MSN Messenger will still use all the default locations to store and get its information (app. directories, log directories, registry locations, etc...) with all its disadvantages it brings...

-----

Now with this basic knowledge let's react on some posts:
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
(Y)  but can I make a request?  Can you make a version for MSN 6.2 ? I don't use MSN7 but would still like to use Messenger Live
If you use it on your current installation of MSN Messenger it will mess things up!!!

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
I hope a hell of a lot more devolping gets put into this!.. Maybe integrated MSG Plus!, StuffPlug, other Plugins, etc!... Would be nice if Patchou, TB and the other plugin makers would like to co-operate with _cindern to make there Add-on/plugin work with Messenger Live!, that means make a verison of their creation that would be able to be put into this Extrator... ...
I absolutely shiffer with the thought that Messenger Plus! will be included in something like this.

Please, learn a bit more about how MSN Messenger (or any other program for that matter) works and don't believe such promises from someone who claims to have made a "portable" Messenger. I'm sorry to sound realy harsh, but such things are absolutely CRAP and should only be used/created by people who actually KNOW what they are doing. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that such simple file copies of msn messenger will NOT work 100%. Why on earth do you think MSN MEssenger has an installer in the first place? Did anyone even cared to look what files are being installed when installing MSN Messenger? What things are being updated? What things are being saved/created in the registry? etc... etc...

quote:
Also a way/program/edition that allows us to "build" our own Extractions where our things like Settings, Dp's, Emo's and stuff would be packed into it and then extracted when using the package
Simply copy all your files, patches, whatever, you need and put them in an archive.

Because this is EXACTLY what this "portable" thing is and NOTHING more. In other words, if you want to create your own "Messenger Live" but with A-patch or something, simply patch your existing MSN Messenger and copy all the files in the directory and voila... this is just the same...

quote:
Can't wait to test it on school and to see more of this!..
Keep up the good work _cindern!!!!
no, please don't keep it up for the sake of those who otherwise going to use such things!!!

And I speak in the name of all the helpers who are the ones that can solve all the issues people will have with such crap things...

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
Umm what exactly is Messenger Live!???
portable msn messenger. its a .exe extractor that allows the user to 'install' (not actually install but it lets you run it..) msn on any computer, even with restrictions..
No it is NOT!!!!!!!!!
There is absolutely NO difference between normal MSN Messenger and this "Messenger Live"!!! You have a far better chance in being able to chat with WebMessenger then with this UNMODIFIED msn messenger in restricted networks....

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
I don't get it... Am I missing something or did you just rar the contents of your MSN folder and made it sfx?
basically yea, but the idea is for people at school and things that can't run the actual Messenger installer.

And hopefully more features are going to be added soon, this is still an early release
Hopefully, someone with the proper knowledge (TB and the likes) will come along and create a decent portable messenger or TOOL*.

*For example; create a simple tool which copies all your MSN Messenger files and make it into an SFX. In this way people can "make" their own MSN Messenger and at least KNOW a bit better about what it will do and what the consequences would be of not-a-proper-install...

quote:
to install plus on this messenger you need this register key
HKCR\CLSID\{0D81DFEC-5610-4a2b-9B57-FC33D21366F0}\LocalServer32
And the value is the directory where you installed msn. Because plus can install without admin priviliges ;)

It isn't that simple... you have more things to check out to get the REAL installation path; the registry isn't that simple and can hold redirections and CLSID's do change!!!! But I'm not going into that atm....

This post was edited on 05-12-2005 at 03:22 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-12-2005 03:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
_cindern

Now Sugar Free.

O.P. RE: RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
Cookie, I don't want to argue with you but lots of things have changed since my first original release, and alot of things are going to change, yes Messenger Live is not completly portable, but nothing will ever be completly portable, just like Mobile Phones and Laptops can't be portable.

Also just to set you straight the TM has been removed and so has the dreaded Splinter Edition (one because I don't like patching and two because it was actually bigger than the non patched version).

So I am sorry that you think that way CookieRevised and  I would like to say that I don't disagree with you, enfact I respect you alot, and would like your support, but as I believe I won't be getting that, I am sorry.

Also as I said earlier, a new extractor is being built... tonight.

edit - CookieRevised I made the original version for myself and my school friends because Windows Messenger was blocked at school and Web Messengers where also blocked, the same as many other schools, so it is not always possible to get on Messenger sites.

This post was edited on 05-12-2005 at 03:22 PM by _cindern.
05-12-2005 03:20 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Well, can you atleast make it clean up registrysettings and delete any folders created after use of your messenger? Looks like those schools forgot to deny access to write in the registry if your socalled "portable" messenger works.

This post was edited on 05-12-2005 at 03:28 PM by Sunshine.
05-12-2005 03:26 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by _cindern
lots of things have changed since my first original release
All I said applies to what is on your website: MsgLive-110.exe
quote:
Also just to set you straight the TM has been removed and so has the dreaded Splinter Edition (one because I don't like patching and two because it was actually bigger than the non patched version).
good (y)
quote:
and would like your support, but as I believe I won't be getting that, I am sorry.
not with something like that... As I stated in my (long) post before, if you realy want to make something like that make a TOOL instead, which copies the user's msn messenger directory (and all its settings, eg: application directory, etc...) and also provide a decent warning and explanations about the riscs involved in using such "portable" things....

A tool would be much better (not to mention you don't need to update your thing everytime a new messenger build gets released) and will also provide the user with his OWN patches, skins, settings and stuff...

Because frankly, everything what those "portable" messengers do atm is:
copy "c:\program files\msn messenger\*.*" "memorystick:\mymsn\*.*"
and nothing more...

---

quote:
edit - CookieRevised I made the original version for myself and my school friends because Windows Messenger was blocked at school and Web Messengers where also blocked, the same as many other schools, so it is not always possible to get on Messenger sites.
There are many alternative webmessengers...

This post was edited on 05-12-2005 at 03:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-12-2005 03:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
_cindern

Now Sugar Free.

O.P. RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
Modified.

Cookie, I will actually be making a tool to make their own portable versions of MSN Messenger (it will be built into the MSN Messenger). Also not all Webmessengers work at my school.

Sunshine (nice name by the way), the only folder created is the folder you choose to make and after the extraction in the new extractor being built the extractor will be deleted once you press finish.

This post was edited on 05-12-2005 at 03:35 PM by _cindern.
05-12-2005 03:32 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
bah, i cant even run the 'extractor' in my school.....it ends in .exe = blocked.... :@

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
05-12-2005 03:34 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Sunshine - I would have thought so, but I was corrected when I tried it.
Corrected? What do you mean? You mean you can't make it successfully delete only the things your messenger added? It might be a problem if MSNM is installed on that computer already...you should build in a check on that, if that's possible at all.

This post was edited on 05-12-2005 at 03:37 PM by Sunshine.
05-12-2005 03:34 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: