What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
[Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
Author: Message:
_cindern

Now Sugar Free.

O.P. RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
Sunshine, check my edited post.
05-12-2005 03:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
quote:
Originally posted by _cindern
Cookie, I will actually be making a tool to make their own portable versions of MSN Messenger (it will be built into the MSN Messenger).
No, don't build it in, make a seperate tool. There is nothing to build in... The tool should exist out of code which simply copies everything needed, bundles it and add an extraction stub... (and of course there should be a decent uninstaller)

quote:
Sunshine (nice name by the way), the only folder created is the folder you choose to make and after the extraction in the new extractor being built the extractor will be deleted once you press finish.
Sunshine means all the other stuff that is created by MSN Messenger itself, not what is created by your installer...

eg:
* C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\*.*
* C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\My documents\logs (or whatever the default dir is)
* Cached stuff in the temporary directory of windows (ads, banners, etc...)
* Cached stuff in the temporary internet directory of windows (DP's, Emo's, Winks, etc..)
* All the registry settings (and that isn't just HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger)
* And indeed, what if MSN Messenger is already installed? You will be overwriting those things if you don't check upon it...
* etc...
* etc...

This post was edited on 05-12-2005 at 03:46 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-12-2005 03:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Sunshine means all the other stuff that is created by MSN Messenger itself, not what is created by your installer...

Yes, that's what i mean :D
A check on that is needed to see wether or not it was there before using Messenger Live.

quote:
Sunshine, check my edited post.
So the folder gets deleted are you sure that's the only folder created, and how about registrysettings (see my edited post)?

This post was edited on 05-12-2005 at 03:46 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-12-2005 03:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
_cindern

Now Sugar Free.

O.P. RE: RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
Thanks Cookie and Sunshine, I understand now, I will research into it, as I said before the current versions are just crappy little extractors, the first of which was originally just for myself and a few friends.
05-12-2005 03:44 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Thanks Cookie and Sunshine, I understand now, I will research into it
(Y) So now you hopefully also understand why I (and others) are so against such "portable" messengers; It wouldn't be the first time that someone reports problems when installing MSN Messenger and forget to mention that he once tried out a "portable" messenger on his own computer and it messed everything up/has overwritten important stuff, just by running it...

You need to understand that such "portable" messengers are mostly going to be used by people who don't have a clue about what they actually are doing, let alone understand that some programs need and use more then just an executable to run...
05-12-2005 03:50 PM
_cindern

Now Sugar Free.

O.P. RE: RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Thanks Cookie and Sunshine, I understand now, I will research into it
(Y) So now you hopefully also understand why I (and others) are so against such "portable" messengers; It wouldn't be the first time that someone reports problems when installing MSN Messenger and forget to mention that he once tried out a "portable" messenger on his own computer and it messed everything up/has overwritten important stuff, just by running it...

You need to understand that such "portable" messengers are mostly going to be used by people who don't have a clue about what they actually are doing, let alone understand that some programs need and use more then just an executable to run...

I know this might be a big thing to ask, but would you help me to create a information file? Which will be displayed as you open the extractor?
05-12-2005 03:55 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
---
Beware!

This redistribution will simply copy the standard MSN Messenger files to a custom directory instead of installing them like they should. Using this can cause information to be overwritten on the hard disk and/or in the registry. It also will leave information and traces behind on the hard disk and in the registry after removing.

This redistribution is not meant to solve any connection problems and is not garanteed to work. All the normal and standard problems you otherwise would have can and will still occur.

To function properly, MSN Messenger still needs access to the registry and to your local application directory. MSN Messenger and its ports shouldn't be blocked by any application or firewall.

The creator is not responsible for any damage, loss of data or other consequences caused by this illegal redistribution of MSN Messenger. Use it sensible and at your own risk!
---

needs spell checking and gramar checking though

This post was edited on 05-12-2005 at 05:15 PM by CookieRevised.
05-12-2005 05:10 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
As profi beta tester for this he wants to be able to include messenger plus. However he needs permission and without the sponser it could become a hasle.
05-12-2005 05:14 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
As profi beta tester for this he wants to be able to include messenger plus. However he needs permission and without the sponser it could become a hasle.
Like people already said, Plus! will not be distributed together with any sofwtare, let alone with something like this...
05-12-2005 05:16 PM
_cindern

Now Sugar Free.

O.P. RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005]
When did this become an illegal redistribution? It is not patched or anything?
05-12-2005 05:19 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: