What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Plus won't run!!

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Plus won't run!!
Author: Message:
Saranwrap7

47 / Female / –
O.P. RE: Plus won't run!!
Well...crap.  I just spent the last hour and a half re-downloading Messenger 7.0 (dial-up connection that never gets any higher than 28.8kbps) and I recieved this error message when it was finished:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

:blah:
Why am I having so much trouble with this?!?  First Messenger Plus, and now Messenger 7...which I was running before without problem, I might add.  Anything I can do?????

This post was edited on 06-15-2005 at 01:30 PM by Saranwrap7.
06-15-2005 01:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
cantuchthis

RE: Plus won't run!!
Are you an administrator on your comp? Becuase if not then maybe that is  the reason you cant access it or whatever.
06-15-2005 02:37 PM
Saranwrap7

47 / Female / –
Yes I am.  I don't know what's going on.   The problem now is that it thinks that I'm running a Messenger less that 4.6 (eventhough I had 7.0 installed)  I've now deleted all the MSN Messenger files, and Windows Messenger files, and I'm redownloading the MSN Messenger...wish me luck, I'll let ya know.

Alright,  MSN Messenger is now up and running (version 7.0), but still when I try to run Messenger Plus it sais that I need to run version 4.6 or higher.  Why isn't it recognizing the right version number?

When I tried downloading msn messenger for the second time, the same thing happened again.  I tried repairing it from the Control Panel, but it didn't work, just kept giving me more error messages.  I just tried to do a system restore, back to Sunday, but for some reason it didn't work, and it said that nothing was changed.  The only good thing was that messenger now works, but still, Plus won't run.  It's like it's not detecting my messenger 7.  PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO !!
06-15-2005 02:41 PM
lucialee

RE: Plus won't run!!
I had the same problem before, and I solved it just now by reinstalling the MSN Messenger. And did you run the install in compaitbility mode? Because running in the compaitbility mode would make the installation unsuccessful.
06-15-2005 03:29 PM
Saranwrap7

47 / Female / –
I've got the Messenger Plus set to compatibilty mode...that's how I finally started getting the error message about the Messenger version number (before it wouldn't do anything at all).  Is there a way to run Messenger in compatibility mode?  It always just starts to open the download automatically from the web page??
:huh:   
Alright here's the scoop now...maybe someone can help.  It still seems that Messenger Plus can't detect my Messenger...either of them, MSN or Windows (I restored it from the Recycle Bin).  I tried twice to download MSN messenger, and both times there was something wrong with the download.  I went into Add/Remove Programs and tried to repair it, but got this message:

"The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\nudge.wav"

Then the MSN installer window came back saying that the program had not been installed.  Hit OK, and a window pops up saying "A Fatal Error Has Occured"...(the program has been running fine...)

When I tried to uninstall MSN Messenger and try again I got this:

"The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file:  C:\Program Files\MSN  Messenger\License.rtf"

I thought I would try running Windows Messenger and see what happens with the Plus, because the error I get from Plus says I need "MSN/Windows Messenger 4.6 (minimum) installed".  I opened Windows Messenger and was notified of a download that I must have to continue...fine.  The Download finished, but nothing happened...it still says that  I'm running Windows messenger 4.0.   I tried downloading the update three times, and the same thing kept happening...the download never worked...therefore I still can't  install the Messenger Plus either. 

Why am I having so much trouble with this?!?  What is it that I'm missing??  Why does it say that my MSN is having fatal errors, but it still runs and works fine?  I'm logged in right now, using Version 7.0 (Build 7.0.0813)  Someone has gotta know what's going on...???:wall:
06-15-2005 03:34 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: