What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » What is Music?

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
What is Music?
Author: Message:
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
RE: What is Music?
Music is an accepted form of noise pollution :tongue:
06-22-2005 06:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: What is Music?
quote:
Originally posted by toddiot
Just think about life without music.

I have thought about it, and there will always be music there, there is always sound, which IMO is music.

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
minimalism started way before hippies traxor :P

It was majorly progressed in the 1960s.
06-22-2005 07:08 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
Well, I live for music, I love it!

To me, it sometimes gives me something to relate to, like lots of artists and bands write music, and it's expressed by their opinion, I usually listen to music that i have  the same kind of opinion on.  Music is what cools me off, makes me relaxed, it's like a drug, it's an addiction.  I almost can't really explain music.

Like in Marilyn Manson's song Disposable Teens he says:  (btw is about christians, please don't take offensively)
quote:
I never really hate one true god, but the god of the people I hated!

He's basically saying that he never hated god, but he hates the people that worship him, he's talking about christians, He thinks the same way as me, I just don't like the way christians live their life, not all christians but a good majority, some people just need to live their life.

Tasha is right, the whole clicking tongues thing is just noise IMO, sure it's a kinda of music for some culture, but what I think of music is: good rythm, instruments. kinda of thing(cant pinpoint my point.:()

kinda off topic here but I have been meaning to post this.

quote:
What do you look for in music?

My music ranges alot, from soft music to insane heavy grunge gothic stuff. All depends on which is in the lyrics, that's the first think that I look for. Next would be Rythm.(I even like some classical)

(Guitar solos own btw)

I like the kinda music that has a meaning to it, and the kind that makes you wanna scream out the lyrics or something. I also like music with a power Girl singer(Ex: strawberry gashes-Jackoff Jill). Alot of music I like has good rythm to it, I like the synth in The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson.

Alot of people complain and bitch on and on about Marilan Manson, but never take the time to actually listen what's in the lyrics.

I know ALOT of people that have judged Slipknot from they're previous albums, all the screaming and hate lyrics. They have changed alot, download some of their new songs, from the newest album, they have something to say. And half hte songs aren't even screaming, and 4-5 songs are soft lyrics. Lead singer(corey taylor) has a very good voice, whether it's screaming his lungs out or sing soflty.

This is just my point of view on music, and some people need to open their ears and listen to what's actually in the song.
[/rant]

You know, I could probably go on forever talking about music, face to face with some one etc.

I really wish I could say more but it's so hard to explain it.

Fact: Music speeds up brain waves.(H)  Apparently it's very healthy to listen to music. or something that has rythm.....

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
Me and my mates came a across a difficult question when discussing this the other day, would you rather be deaf or blind.
I would definitly be blind, I don't care if I would never be able to see a good looking girl or anythign like that, but thats just how much  music is to me, it's everything to me.

Just my opinion, everyone else has different ones.

This post was edited on 06-22-2005 at 08:41 AM by Purity.
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
06-22-2005 08:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
gif83

41 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

for me:
Music is a combination of things you can hear which the creator or beholder thinks of it as coherent.
I did

don't get me wrong, i actually like this definition. But your choice for using non-subjective adjectives is a little puzzling since this definition of yours is subjective anyway (your personal opinion).

quote:
reread what I said... let me say it in a different way:
1) for him it may be coherent, while it is garbage en simply mumbling to me.
2) No it is not music for me as this hasn't anything to do with what I call "sounds".
3) Yes it could be music for me if I was his boss...

The definition I gave is perfectly valid...

it definitely makes more sense now that i've read the edited definition (creator or beholder) :) .

btw definitions become a bit confusing when you require to define the words used to define it (for example the use of your definition of "sounds")

quote:
As I said in my previous post: I edited the post right after I wrote it, before I read your reply... And creators have opinions of their own too. even by adding "creator" alone, it makes it subjective already...

well i WAS trying to make the point that it was subjective :s

quote:
quote:

Originally posted by mwe99
Google defines it as "organized sound"

my point exactly... organized = coherent (although I added the subjective part to it also). Without it you don't have music. All the other things are irrelevant...

i actually prefer the use of coherent seeing as organised implies some sort of order whereas i believe music requires no order in sound. coherent in this case kinda means understood (sorry can't find a better word right now to express what i mean).

quote:
This is by no means a definition of painfull, although it can be used as an example of what it is... And if your sentence was a definition in itself, then it's wrong, cause music isn't always pleasurable...

once again you have picked dodgy examples. you assume that pain is only physical. pain can be defined as the grievance in this case.. and that example you gave is in fact far more similar to mine. the bell IS the thing that inflicts the pain upon the pupil.

you say it is wrong but yet you just agreed before that definitions could be subjective. most metaphors of this sort are subjective but generally understood (actually they are objective derived from the subjective but that's another off topic discussion).

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
In conclusion:
Music is music. (dooooooolce!)

i like it... sweet sweet music! that's why we have the word music... so we can express ourselves without the need of the "definition". the most useful words are words that cannot really be described with other words.
06-22-2005 09:16 AM
-Bogan-

35 / Male / –
music is something that is so powerful it can alter your mood do. For example it can make you happy,angry,sad. It would have to be one of the most influential things used ever eg. protest songs. I could not live without music but there will always be music so I have nothing to worry about.
[Image: user-bogan.gif]
06-22-2005 09:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
King For A Day

Vince Noir: King Of the Mods

35 / Male / –
its just a mix of random noises that can sound realy great in the right order made by the right person but sound rubbish if changed slightly

or thats how i look at it
[Image: smaller6mh.png]
06-22-2005 09:57 AM
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
I would have to agree with what everyone has said. I like the use of the term 'music to one's ears' - what does it really mean?
Perhaps a good point to ponder is, why do people create music?
Where is it used, and why do you listen to what you do?
06-22-2005 12:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
Music (defn.) is the expression of a persons thoughts /
feelings / opinions by singing and by making sounds through instruments

Singing (defn.) is an act of expression of a persons thoughts / feelings / opinions by speaking in any language (making legible sounds) through the mouth.
=======================================================
mu·sic n.

• The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and
    timbre.
  • Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.
  • A musical composition. The written or printed score for such a composition.
    Such scores considered as a group: We keep our music in a stack near the piano.
  • A musical accompaniment.
  • A particular category or kind of music.
  • An aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound or combination of sounds: the music of the wind in the pines.

=======================================================

Music n.

1: an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating
instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner 2:
any agreeable (pleasing and harmonious) sounds; "he fell asleep to the
music of the wind chimes" [syn:
euphony]
3: musical activity (singing or whistling etc.); "his music was his
central interest" 4: (music) the sounds produced by singers or musical
instruments (or reproductions of such sounds) 5: punishment for one's
actions; "you have to face the music"; "take your medicine" [syn:
medicine]
========================================================

The 1st one is from me while the last 2 are by dictionary.com :refuck:
Those were the definitions :P Now the discussion. Life without music is ... dodgy :-/
It would be totally black and white .... music is the widest form of creativeness (followed by drawing and stuff). It inhibits the growth of your minds creativity. It sooths the soul :D Its good timepass when the teacher is teaching something you dont wanna learn :dodgy: :refuck:

This post was edited on 06-22-2005 at 12:47 PM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
06-22-2005 12:39 PM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
Music is the thing u can't see or smell (or eat), but u can feel and hear it.

Music is the reason I've downloaded Windows Media Player! :D
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
06-22-2005 12:46 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
Music is the reason I've downloaded Windows Media Player!
:lol:

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
Music is the thing u can't see or smell (or eat), but u can feel and hear it.
You forgot touches your soul and inhibits the growth of your creativity :D

This post was edited on 06-22-2005 at 12:50 PM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
06-22-2005 12:49 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend