What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » This new computer is quite good

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
This new computer is quite good
Author: Message:
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
RE: This new computer is quite good
If your "586" has 184 pin or 200pin (SODIMM) slots and support for 333/400MHz DDR then yes.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-01-2005 01:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
um actually G5s are not faster really apple made those figures up and now even agree that an equvilant P4 will give the same power. thats why the whole apple range is being changed to use intel x86 architecture. also they have lower power consumption and are smaller (pentium M)
actually this is going to be really big for the pc market i cant believe you havent heard about it already. you will be able to buy a mac and install windows on it. and with a lot more jiggery poxery you will be able to do it the other way round too buy a dell or something and install mac osx on it.
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
07-01-2005 02:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
My friend had one... he got bored of it... they're monstrous... he sold it and bought an iBook instead... it's pretty sweet too.. he's an Apple lover.
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
07-01-2005 02:21 PM
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
RE: RE: This new computer is quite good
quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
um actually G5s are not faster really apple made those figures up and now even agree that an equvilant P4 will give the same power. thats why the whole apple range is being changed to use intel x86 architecture. also they have lower power consumption and are smaller (pentium M)
actually this is going to be really big for the pc market i cant believe you havent heard about it already. you will be able to buy a mac and install windows on it. and with a lot more jiggery poxery you will be able to do it the other way round too buy a dell or something and install mac osx on it.

Yes, you could Install OSX if you circumvent the ID Chip on the Motherboard which i'm sure people will manage.  When you compare a P4 or Athlon64 on XP to a G5 on OSX you aren't getting a fair comparison.  An Athlon64 2800+ can keep up with a 2.5GHz G5 when running under an Optimised Linux Kernel but when you compare them using Windows XP & OSX you have to take into account the added power needed to run the XP system to a similar sped standard.

The Pentium M is a much better CPU than the P4 in my opinion.  Netburst was a mistake and Intel are finally beginning to realise it.  I'd love to see a comparison between a Pentium D 840 Mac & a Dual 2.7GHz G5 Mac, as only that could really tell the difference, apart from the rewritten code to optimise the Intel system.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-01-2005 05:18 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
£899 Inclusive of VAT.
$1299 (US)

for this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/...try.wo?family=iMac

• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 160GB Serial ATA drive
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 56Kbps Modem
• 17-inch widescreen LCD
• 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
• ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
• AirPort Extreme
• Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

To me, in order to increase Apples market share they would need to put it closer in price to PC's.

Say £749 (UK) & $1050 (US)

That does surprisingly enough still give Apple a Profit on each machine, which does go to show the kind of markup Apple pu on their machines.

Still, it's a pretty nice machine and i'm sure you'll enjoy it greatly.

Apple don't benifit from economies of scale as much as wintel manufacturers do. Since the hardware manufacturers can make generic parts for PCs, they become cheaper since they are making more of them, but since they make bespoke parts for Apple, they parts are more expensive and so Apple have increased costs.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
07-01-2005 07:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pipish

not really active anymore.

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: This new computer is quite good
you will be able to buy a mac and install windows on it

Are you serious :| thats what ive always dreamed of :|

so what your saying is i can buy an ibook and put windows on it
[Image: fcliverpoolfan2xo.gif]
[Image: roosters4yg.jpg]
07-01-2005 11:52 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
yeah but you have you wait till they start selling x86 macs which sohuld be about the same time next year so still a long wait. but the ibook will be the first thing to be updated.
and i know how you feel i cant wait it will be so cool but i think i will "buy" mac osx and install it on my pc which is a bit more difficult but im sure it will be possible :)
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
07-02-2005 02:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: