What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Ufo!

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
Ufo!
Author: Message:
Veggie

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Ufo!
quote:
Originally posted by Time
quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Come on, the universe is infinite.
No the universe is not infinate, read up on Obler's paradox.   If the universe is infinate the the sky would be infinatly bright.

I think you misunderstand Olbers' paradox somewhat. The true explanation does not show that the Universe is finite. The explanation of the paradox to gain the most scientific consensus points to the finite speed at which light travels through space. Given its finite speed, the light from the most distant star cannot have travelled a further distance, measured in light years, than the star itself is old. That explanation holds true to the Big Bang Theory and the fact that the Universe has only existed for a finite time, it does not, however, prove that the Universe is finite it merely fits with that possibility.
Another explanation for Olbers' paradox is that stars are not uniformly distributed but, rather, fractally like Cantor dust. This second reasoning does not require the Big Bang to hold true.

By the by it is Olbers' paradox not "Obler's" so those who googled Obler and got weird results, that's why.

I guess that means im going to get bad physics results :(

I think its wierd how people can just dismiss the theory of evolution just becuase of there faith.
08-07-2005 11:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
emit
Disabled Account

RE: Ufo!
Not necessarily Veggie. Physics is intuitive and you did intuitively link Olbers' paradox with the fact that the Universe is finite, which isn't strictly incorrent; in fact it shows a grasp of the basic consequences. I just happen to have written a paper in the first year of my astrophysics degree on Olber's paradox so I understand it thoroughly, so I have an advantage. ;)
08-07-2005 01:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
i do belive that there is extra terrestrial life, just i dont belive that there is any intellegent extra terrestrial life and i dont think that we will ever contact another intellegent lifeform within anybody here's lifetime.
08-08-2005 03:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
kipper2258

I believe in evolution and extra terrestrial life - but not nessacerilly like ourselves. Course this opinion is hard to voice, going to a Church of England school and all that.
[Image: w2m/]
Yeah - Im a kipper - A salted fish...
The fish inside me's Blog.

World domination!
08-09-2005 09:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
I think it;s so stupid, of course there is other life forms in the universe, like, it pretty much never ends, if you think deep enough.  millions of gallexies!  think of it, but I seriously don't think there has ever been a UFO flying in this gallexy.... It's all fake IMO.  some stupid people looking for attention.
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
08-09-2005 09:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
shadowfaerie

la la la lick the lolly la la la

35 / Female / –
meh friends thort they saw one, and got over excited bout it and fell in the pond.. which was hillarious found out in the morning it was a hot air balloon!..
                                                     devia ut a crudus
rose..
08-09-2005 11:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: