What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Reputation System Abuse

Pages: (11): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 11 » Last »
Reputation System Abuse
Author: Message:
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Reputation System Abuse
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
what about instead of increasing the number of posts you have to have, we put a weekly limit on it, say 5-7 reps a week, nomore, perhaps
Erm i guess that'd doo but 5 - 7 is quite a big number too :P
And its too small for some ppl sometimes if u know what i mean :P

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

I think the system is fine and perfectly stable as it is, by the time people have 100 posts on this forum, they're usually smarter and better-behaved than they were when they had less posts...
most are but some arent :P
The system is almost stable but not quite ... hence this thread :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
08-13-2005 06:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:

I think the system is fine and perfectly stable as it is, by the time people have 100 posts on this forum, they're usually smarter and better-behaved than they were when they had less posts...

most are but some arent
The system is almost stable but not quite ... hence this thread 

i think rep bannings are a good idea to solve this
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6665 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes, 39 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
08-13-2005 06:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
quote:

most are but some arent
The system is almost stable but not quite ... hence this thread 

i think rep bannings are a good idea to solve this

as in not allow a person to give a rep for some time / perma rep ban thing ????

I dont think that'll solve stuff as very very very few ppl (afaik) abuse it enough to be banned.
banned from voting or banned from the forum (well the latter is possible)
but the sinle incidents add up to be too much for the mods and admins :-/

This post was edited on 08-13-2005 at 06:25 PM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
08-13-2005 06:23 PM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
yes, and if they keep going the same way after th ban, maybe a 24 hour forum ban is in order, which would be aproved by the admins

This post was edited on 08-13-2005 at 06:26 PM by NiteMare.
Need hosting? Check
08-13-2005 06:25 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
yes, and if they keep going the same way after th ban, maybe a 24 hour forum ban is in order
thats something surfi already said in his 1st post .... and read my above edited post ;)
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
08-13-2005 06:26 PM
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
I personally think, that for one thing, people shouldn't give reps for things unrelated to the forums, and to helping on the forums. For example, "for being a girl" or "for being hot" or "you're a really great person on IRC" aren't really good reasons, as they don't relate to how a person is on the forum.
I know that us girls do tend to get more votes than others, I would like to hope that all of my reps are un-related to being a girl though. I know that there is at least one girl on here, (who hasnt posted in a while), who never posted her picture, and has quite a low rep, when she did help a lot. So I dunno.. maybe for the girls getting reps thing, it's somehow related to the posting of our pictures. Or maybe i'm just being completely off the mark, and am thinking on things way too much.
Imho, I think reputation bans would be a good idea. Say, depending on the amount of rubbish reps you give, after a certain amount, it bans you from giving any reputations at all, for a set period. If you persist after this, then a 24 hour ban, as someone else suggested.
I think reputation moderators wouldn't be such a good idea, although it could work. I think it wouldn't work because it would be hard to select people who can fairly judge what is a good, and what is a bad reputation. It would also have to be elite members, tbh, who were the reputation moderators, as they, imo, are more trusted than any of the normal members. And normal members could also become biased towards their friends. But as I said, it could work.
A reporting system for reputations could easily be abused, as you could simply report a reputation you don't like, and it might not be removed, but it would waste admins/moderators time, because they would have had to read through all the reps, and it would be pointless to come to a lot of reps that shouldn't have been reported in the first place. Also, you could get members who report peoples reps, just because they don't like that person.
As for increasing the amount of posts that you have to have to give a rep.. Well, that would also increase spam, as people would be desperate to get to that certain number. And also, it is not fair on certain respected forum members, who don't post as much as others, and don't reach high numbers for quite a while, to not be able to rate fellow members for their good help, etc.
I have seen on some forums that also have a type of rep system, that you cannot give a reputation to a member that doesn't have a certain amount of posts, or hasn't posted yet. I think that could also be a good idea. For example, you'd have to have above, say, 10 posts, before someone get give you a reputation. This would stop people who are new, and are known from IRC, or something, getting reps suddenly, and it would give us all a chance to have something to view, to base our reputation for that user on.

Just what I think. Thanks for reading it, if you do. :)
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
08-13-2005 06:58 PM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
I have seen on some forums that also have a type of rep system, that you cannot give a reputation to a member that doesn't have a certain amount of posts, or hasn't posted yet.

i agree, this would allow peopel to actualy help people before they get reps, which is the point of our rep system
Need hosting? Check
08-13-2005 07:05 PM
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
i think that the rep system is better than it was at a certain time.. but it is still abused a lot. yes some people get positives for no good reason, but also negatives. i think banning is good but mods for reps would be better. simply because a lot of reps are given to people all the time, and i think that our mods already have enough stuff to put up with.

i agree with some things tasha said, and would like to add that - to be honest, me and her got our reps completely removed at one point, not because it was high and gave us an "ego boost", but because it was unfair (perhaps even now it still is.. :-/). and it feels HORRIBLE to be given a rep point that you know you don't deserve.

i've said this before but i would like to make it clear... if you give a positive to a girl just for the sake that she is a girl, or you like the way she looks. it can actually end up hurting her and making her feel literally like trash. i'm speaking for myself (but i think tasha would agree, and probably thinks similarly) we're not some bimbos who are happy to be rated positives just for being girls :-/ ...

so anyway, as i said bans are ok, but i think that moderators would be a bit better :happy: BUT i think there should be a woman moderator too tbh
* Joa looks at sunshine

This post was edited on 08-13-2005 at 08:16 PM by Joa.
:bow: gif :bow: <3   

spam.

08-13-2005 08:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
joa is right. it was bad, then better now getting bad in the last week :tongue:

some new members have been getting reps for no real reason :( and some irc people reps are very high for no reason :(
08-13-2005 08:24 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
joa is right. it was bad, then better now getting bad in the last week :tongue:

some new members have been getting reps for no real reason :( and some irc people reps are very high for no reason :(
not for no reason....people on irc help out quite alot so why shouldn't they have a high rep
08-13-2005 08:28 PM
Pages: (11): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 11 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: