What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Petition to save Messenger Plus!

Pages: (29): « First « 23 24 25 26 [ 27 ] 28 29 » Last »
Petition to save Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
masken

RE: Petition to save Messenger Plus!
Looking at this statically: I'm sorry to say that you're wrong Patchou.

Your installer DOES contain adware, therefore, technically, your application is granted a strike.

Why? Well there's third party software bundled that you do not control. In Messenger Plus!'s case, this might not be an issue. But it still doesn't matter. Adware is in your installer. Unless you remove it, you'll never get MS to classify your application to anything else.

It simply doesn't matter if your application doesn't contain any ad/spyware, your installer does.

The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I think it's drawn correctly form a security perspective. ANY applications affiliated with any form of ad/spyware will be classified. This is simply what's happened to MSN Plus!

This post was edited on 09-03-2005 at 10:07 AM by masken.
09-03-2005 10:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
but it blockes messenger plus even without the adware installed :S
09-03-2005 10:08 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by masken
MSN Plus!
messenger plus please.
Welcome to the forums.
quote:
Your installer DOES contain adware
Its optional
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-03-2005 02:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:

Your installer DOES contain adware, therefore, technically, your application is granted a strike.

Why? Well there's third party software bundled that you do not control. In Messenger Plus!'s case, this might not be an issue. But it still doesn't matter. Adware is in your installer. Unless you remove it, you'll never get MS to classify your application to anything else.

It simply doesn't matter if your application doesn't contain any ad/spyware, your installer does.

The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I think it's drawn correctly form a security perspective. ANY applications affiliated with any form of ad/spyware will be classified. This is simply what's happened to MSN Plus!

Ok wow out of curiosity did you read the petition at all? Patchou is not upset at the fact that MSAS detects the installer as an Adware Bundler because it is. The petition is against the fact that MSAS detects the main exe (MsgPlus.exe) as an Adware installer which it is not. That is what this petition is for. I suggest you read it in full and sign if you please.
09-03-2005 02:37 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
quote:

Please read the petition before saying the wrong things...

The petition is not to remove plus! from the spyware database, it's to change the "flag" from msgplus.exe (that contains no spyware) to the installer and the (optionally) installed ADWARE.

So that it doesn't remove msgplus.exe but it removes the actual adware correctly and informs the user that the installer is an optional adware bundler.

And it's Msgplus! or Plus! not MSN Plus.

Msgplus is owned by Patchou.
MSN Plus is owned by Microsoft and has nothing to do with MSN Messenger.

This post was edited on 09-03-2005 at 02:43 PM by Ezra.
[Image: 1-0.png]

09-03-2005 02:41 PM
briosky

C/C++ Programmer Works for Free

– / Male / –
ok i added the petition banner on my website

good luck, patchou (yn)
Brionews - Everyday Freshnews - http://brionews.com
09-03-2005 02:49 PM
peaky1988

I've not signed the petition because I use the Microsoft AntiSpyware and yeh it shows up in the list, but you just uncheck the box. I use loads of applications that appear as spyware or a trojan. If you don't want to remove it, don't. It gives you the option! Also if you don't want to run into this problem uninstall the MS software and get Spybot search & destroy or Adaware.

quote:

Also reading this, they are right. Maybe if you don't want your patch to be blocked, find another way of getting sponsored!

This post was edited on 09-03-2005 at 06:08 PM by Fraisie.
09-03-2005 05:30 PM
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
and you think everyone that uses msgplus! knows that? this is also for those people that have little knowlege about spyware and this kind of issues

quote:

Your installer DOES contain adware, therefore, technically, your application is granted a strike

who would know more about msgplus! you or patchou? he is the creator of it and he knows what he's doing,8-)

This post was edited on 09-03-2005 at 05:36 PM by guanako.
[Image: guanako20.png]
09-03-2005 05:33 PM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by peaky1988
Also reading this, they are right. Maybe if you don't want your patch to be blocked, find another way of getting sponsored!

you know, i don't think this issue has anything to do with the sponcer, MSAS is blocking msgplus wether or not the installer has installed the sponcor, so even people who have no spyware/adware on there computers. also MASA is blocking the msgplus.exe file which does NOT contain any adware at all.

and i think all those people that join the forums just to say that patchous wrong in this thread should stop and read every single post in this thread before they post.
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6656 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
09-03-2005 06:37 PM
Doorknob

RE: RE: Petition to save Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare

you know, i don't think this issue has anything to do with the sponcer, MSAS is blocking msgplus wether or not the installer has installed the sponcor, so even people who have no spyware/adware on there computers. also MASA is blocking the msgplus.exe file which does NOT contain any adware at all.

and i think all those people that join the forums just to say that patchous wrong in this thread should stop and read every single post in this thread before they post.

agreed...
09-04-2005 10:38 AM
Pages: (29): « First « 23 24 25 26 [ 27 ] 28 29 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: