What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum

Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
2 votes - 3 average   [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum
Author: Message:
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
If you guys don't like some members of the IRC community because we act differently, its because IRC has different rules
Blah! I dont like it because they dont follow all the fules on IRC.

quote:
Its the (lack of) rules on IRC that make it a more enjoyable place than the forums
No, the lack of rules makes it so crazy.  The lack of rules makes it so you can all gang up on people when they try to talk to one person about a problem.  Then you piss that person off by what you say, then kick/ban them when they respond in the same manner (immature). 

quote:
we all know how to control ourselves enough that it doesn't go to shit all the time even though our rules are more bare than on the forums
Rofl....

Knowing and Doing are two different things. 
09-15-2005 09:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
No, the lack of rules makes it so crazy.  The lack of rules makes it so you can all gang up on people when they try to talk to one person about a problem.  Then you piss that person off by what you say, then kick/ban them when they respond in the same manner (immature). 

Because no one likes that person. Once they have left everything is at peace again.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
09-15-2005 09:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
quote:
Because no one likes that person. Once they have left everything is at peace again.
Thats the problem.  If you don't like someone, or want to tell them that (dont know why), do it nicely, and not in the main channel.  Use /notice or /msg. If you make your opinions public, then it goes crazy cause on IRC everyone feels the need to voice their opinion about a conversation they were never ment to be a part of.  And if it is kept private, you make it public later on, posting the logs, and then ganging up on the person. 

Dont say it doesn't happen either.  I've seen it & esperienced it.  It sure doesn't make the person feel all happy inside, weather their opinions were right or wrong in the first place. 

This post was edited on 09-15-2005 at 09:37 PM by Pr0xY.
09-15-2005 09:33 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Aren't we going offtopic here? Is this about forums or irc? You really can't compare the two.

Forums - everything's in writing...reply taking your time
IRC support chan - real time support...fast responces/solutions needed (good ones).

And no there are no fights in the supportchan...if there is, a chanop or ircop will take care of it...if there are arguments it's in the chatchan, that chan has less rules..you can't prevent arguments from happening inthere..it's life. It's easier to not post if you feel offended onhere than it is to walk away on irc.

Being a good helper (quick, good help, not loosing patience...staying friendly) on irc is a hell of a lot tougher than it is to be a good one onhere.

This post was edited on 09-15-2005 at 10:54 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-15-2005 10:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ash_

35 / Male / –
you can't just allow a whole lot of people to get to know each other and to talk and hope it works, because it won't. on the internet people feel like they are in a position of power, if owning a newb makes them feel that way even more, im sure they will do it. Although i don't agree with some of the decisions made by the forum staff, don't say they're not doing their job. With the number of threads, members and posts on this forum it's alot of work (and they don't even get paid :refuck:). we only have ourselves to blame for what we've done, we were the role models. we showed bad examples and this is the way things turned out.

now excuse me but im going to play World of Warcraft :refuck: :P,
[Image: jeansiger5.jpg]
09-15-2005 10:27 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
It's easier to not post if you feel offended onhere than it is to walk away on irc.
That is the main reason that alot oif members do not go on irc. The first two times I went I was abused, insulted, abused some more, banned/kicked for just saying hi. They didn't want a new person there, so they it seem like the person said/did something offending. Sure it's not in the support chan. But alot of people go on the chat chans..and then leave because they were abused of or banned.

And on the subject of admins and mods...

They do a great job but do have favourites unfourtunately. And they take decisions based on their favourites. For example, I was banned once because I spammed a bit. Sure that is acceptable. However I was also told that it was because I asked to be a beta tester, which I never did. It was someone who posted before me, and I took the blame. And the admins/mods don't seem to like me anymore because of this. Sure some probably don't even care, but there are some like mnjul who seem to not like me.

We however played a big part if this forum. And if its broken up, it won't be because of a specific person. Its everyone.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-15-2005 10:31 PM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
This is simply my view of the current forum.

Things that I think need improvement or changes:

Reputation system - We should have a report reputation button next to the reputations, the only catch would be that the person who got the reputation should not be able to report his/her own reps. As for, if they got a negative for say spamming, they would report it and would just fill the report system with stupid reports. What would be the outcome or positive from it? Well, IMO it would stop people from abusing the system. Also, while I'm on about the reputation system, I think there should be more bans given out to those who abuse it. The only person who, AFAIK, that is banned from giving reputations would be Toddy.

Staff wise: IMHO, I think there should be LOCAL mods. People (Elites) should be given the oportunity to moderate certain forums. I know there are a small number of forums, but I do think that putting local mods would reduce the spam. And I see spam all the time, like today, 4 people said the SAME thing in a thread. That should not be allowed, and I remember back in the day if you confirmed or said things that had already been stated you got trolled.

More bans: I think the current system is fine, but when you see the SAME people getting banned weekly I do believe that is very dodgy. IICRC, I thought that people were going to be permanantly banned after like 5 bans? I may not be right, but I though Chris Boulton said that before. Also, I do believe that 1 day bans have got to be longer, because the people who are getting 1 day bans are just coming back doing the same crap as they did before.

Testing & Trashing: I think there should be set guidelines on what is allowed to be posted there. The current posts and threads are 99% useless, but I know the forum is there for people to spam. But when people go in topics and just go "HI" or  post one emoticon, it gets annoying, examples are there you just have to look.

Note: Yes my grammar is probably not 100% correctly and I don't care. So do not go offtopic with the grammar crap and/or posting stupid url's to grammar crap.

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
It's easier to not post if you feel offended onhere than it is to walk away on irc.
That is the main reason that alot oif members do not go on irc. The first two times I went I was abused, insulted, abused some more, banned/kicked for just saying hi. They didn't want a new person there, so they it seem like the person said/did something offending. Sure it's not in the support chan. But alot of people go on the chat chans..and then leave because they were abused of or banned.

I'm not trying to speak on behalf of the IRC channel, but I'm sure EvilSeph will agree with me on here. Yes, that is the way it was. Alot has been changing, EvilSeph & Underlord have been removing access to those who abuse. I assure you, if you get insulted by anyone they will be kicked or banned. It's been like that for a long time now, abuse wise that is.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
09-15-2005 10:39 PM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Note: Yes my grammar is probably not 100% correctly and I don't care. So do not go offtopic with the grammar crap and/or posting stupid url's to grammar crap.

Actually, your grammar was pretty good there, nothing that I caught without re-reading the post. :p

About IRC: Got a problem with us? Don't bring it to the forums, keep the two seperate, let the forums deal with their shit and let us deal with ours. If you don't really want to come there because you're afraid of the magical monster that says we chew out and kickban everyone who joins, PM an Op on the forums (Me, segosa, EvilSeph, Time, Chris Boulton, Dane, etc.)
09-15-2005 10:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
emit
Disabled Account

Rules on IRC are kind of inane. IRC is about mutual respect and not being a lamer. You can't govern IRC with rules for every petty little action. Read bash.org - notice the lack of respect for race, culture and anything in between in half of the quotes. Just as everywhere else respect is earnt on IRC; mostly by spending lots of time active, by hanging around channels for a long time; people soon learn that you are knowledgeable and not a lamer. In one channel I am in 80% of the members are ops and we all mutually respect each other's knowledge of IRC and general IRC behaviour - we're all veterans with experience - you work out 80% of 200 people. If you prove clueless or say stupid things then you are quickly removed. That's how IRC works.

Read about it: http://chowned.org/irc-guide.txt

Edit: This little tidbit from a ToS on a website that offers shell services for connecting to IRC sums up perfectly the ethic with which everyone should approach IRC:

quote:
"The good news:  We're not anal.  You can use your shell however you like as long as it doesn't disrupt other corp users, consume an abnormal amount of system resources or bandwidth, break irc rules, attract packets, isn't illegal or doesn't violate the generally accepted code of online ethics.  In other words, don't be a retarded lamer.

The bad news: Corp shells are for mature and clueful individuals who know how to behave.  If you're generally hated, have a tendency to attract negative attention, or are abusive on irc, then this isn't the place for you. Corp is a stable server for irc clients, bots, and bnc's.   We don't have a lot of stupid rules, but the general rule of common sense applies.  This means respect and show some courtesy to your fellow Corp users; don't ruin it for everyone.  Any form of abuse (or generally any form of stupidity) is not tolerated and dealt with swiftly.  We reserve the right to remove your account for any reason at any time. If your account is terminated, don't hold your breath expecting a refund, we don't have time to play games. "

The site is run by one of the most influential people on IRC, a long time admin on one of the biggest and oldest networks. His opinion is pretty much the way to go. He also wrote the irc-guide above.

Of course, like Ddunk said: if you want to get a point across about IRC - PM an op on the forums, or just talk to them on msn. We aren't inhuman or even scary. C'mon, am I really scary?! Seriously - we do listen and we do know that even people in a position of power on IRC can be lamers too.

This post was edited on 09-15-2005 at 11:18 PM by emit.
09-15-2005 11:10 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Yes, that is the way it was
true. It has changed alot.
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
Got a problem with us? Don't bring it to the forums, keep the two seperate
Is it really like that? The irc is run in a way for the same community. If you don't want us brining us issues on the forums about it, is it really because it annoys you? or because you can't just click block and pretend the person isn't telling everyone else the truth. Please do not take this personally. But everytime irc is brought up on here the people that are on there often always tell everyone to shut up. Maybe there is a problem. Sure its different than the community and therefore should be treated differently. But I think that issues can not always be resolved via pm. People may ignore them. As for msn, that can be an even bigger problem. You can't get a hold of the email address of someone that really really hates you, to tell them to stop it please. Do you really think that it's a good idea?
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-15-2005 11:29 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: