What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect
Hi,

Im downloading some important stuff.
I need to go to bed now but there is a majoy lightning storm and I heard a power surge can fry a computer. But i read about a program that if you dont have a Power Bar with surge protection it auto shuts down the pc when it loses power to protect the PC.

Is there anything that does that?

Of not how can I Make sure my pc dosent screw up when im sleeping tonight with a giant thunder and lightning storm???
09-26-2005 03:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect
i don't think that software could do this.... because the power would have to go through the computer for the software to recognise it and it would be fried anyway! so i highly doubt that would be the case
09-26-2005 03:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect
dam ok is there a way to make a cuztom surge protector then wasting 50$ for a power bar one?
09-26-2005 03:30 AM
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect
unplug the computer ;) :P that's an awesome surge protector!
09-26-2005 03:31 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect
i know but I would be sleeping and I need these important downloads for the morning :)
09-26-2005 03:34 AM
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
lol i was joking. i doubt you could whip up a surge protector before you go to bed for the night :P but meh, what do i know?
09-26-2005 03:35 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
ok thansk for your help maybe someone else can help me :)
09-26-2005 03:37 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge pro
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
i know but I would be sleeping and I need these important downloads for the morning :)

surely you could afford $50 on a power surge protector if you pay for the internet connection to,  i myself would prefer to pay $50 than pay out another $2500 on a new PC

This post was edited on 09-26-2005 at 03:39 AM by Hank.
09-26-2005 03:39 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
ok thanks for the info the strom stopped so now I can sleep :P good luck i got :D
09-26-2005 03:48 AM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge pro
Hmm, I was gonna ask about this, but Google answered me: :P

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/surge_protector.html

surge protector

A device that shields computer and other electronic devices from surges in electrical power, or transient voltage, that flow from the power supply. Standard American voltage for home and office buildings is 120 volts. Anything over this amount is considered transient and can damage electronic devices that are plugged into an outlet. Even though power surges are so brief that they are measured in nanoseconds, they can cause considerable damage to electronic equipment.

A surge protector works by channeling the extra voltage into the outlet's grounding wire, preventing it from flowing through the electronic devices while at the same time allowing the normal voltage to continue along its path. Electrical surges can damage computer equipment by burning its wires or gradually over time wearing down the device’s internal components and even wipe out any saved data. Surge protectors can also protect telephone and cable lines as these also carry electric current.

It is a common misunderstanding that surge protectors will protect systems from lightning, the most familiar source of power surges. Even the most effective surge protectors can not protect equipment from the sudden increase in electrical pressure of millions of volts that lightning can supply. The best way to prevent damage during from lightning storm is to unplug devices that could be irreparably damaged. Surge protectors more commonly protect equipment from lower-voltage surges that occur frequently in modern electrical wiring. For example, devices such as refrigerators and air conditioners require large amounts of energy to switch motors and compressors on and off, creating surges in power that disrupt the steady flow of voltage. Faulty wiring, downed power lines and faulty equipment at the power source (utility company) can all cause power surges as well.

Surge protectors are also commonly called power strips, surge suppressors and transient suppressors.

[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
09-26-2005 05:16 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: