What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » [REQUEST] GTalk addon

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[REQUEST] GTalk addon
Author: Message:
djbob

O.P. [REQUEST] GTalk addon
Hello! I would like to request an addon for Messenger Plus.

What?
A GTalk addon! As in, an addon that allows you to connect to GTalk and chat with GTalk contacts within MSN Messenger.
Why?
Simply because there's no reason to have to use two programs when you can use one. A lot of my contacts (and I know a lot of yours too) have migrated to GTalk. Also, I am willing to give whoever makes this free hosting for a year, with a free domain. I would do this project myself, but I don't know much C/C++ (or whatever MSG+ is made in).
How?
I don't know much after Jabber protocol, but I know this will definetely help: http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml. There are numerous C++ code libraries for Jabber, so learning Jabber is no difficulty at all. Rather, the hard part is getting the addon working in Messenger with MSG+ ;)
Pay?
I can pay you, but not much... maybe $20 at most. It's more like donation money, as I'd like this to be open to the public.

I can help with the project as much as I can. Alternatively, if anyone can make an addon to MSG+ that makes it compatible with PHP so I could code the thing myself, that works too :)

This post was edited on 10-18-2005 at 01:07 AM by djbob.
10-18-2005 01:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon
Unfortunately, MSN and G-talk contacts are not cross compatable as far as I am aware. You would have to forward your suggestion straight to Google, as they would need to work with Microsoft to make a "multi-Messenger"
10-18-2005 02:42 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
.....But Meebo deservers the extra attention. To begin with, it allows you to sign into four popular IM services simultaneously, including -of course- MSN Messenger and newcomer Google Talk. "Semi-interoperability", you could ........

http://www4.meebo.com/
[Image: guanako20.png]
10-18-2005 02:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
djbob

O.P. RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon
I know of meebo, in fact that is my current method of multi-chat. You see, I have installed Stuff-Plug NG, and added the web browser tab through it. Then, on the web browser tab, I log into GTalk through Meebo, and I am able to have both things open in one MSN Messenger thingy. However, this is ineffictive in that I don't get a notification when someone initiates a conv with me, and the chat windows can only be viewed when looking at the tab.

quote:
Unfortunately, MSN and G-talk contacts are not cross compatable as far as I am aware. You would have to forward your suggestion straight to Google, as they would need to work with Microsoft to make a "multi-Messenger"
In that case, a viable method would be to make a new tab for the GTalk contacts.
10-19-2005 12:32 AM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by djbob
In that case, a viable method would be to make a new tab for the GTalk contacts.

I don't think anything can be done by 'us' if they are not compatable. It would have to be a Microsoft or a Google development.
10-19-2005 01:31 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
It would have to be a Microsoft or a Google development

which i highly doubt either parties doing since GTalk uses the Jabber Open Source Protocol an we all know M$$ hates Open Source so no way that woulld happen

http://www.jabber.org/about/overview.shtml

This post was edited on 10-19-2005 at 02:03 AM by Hank.
10-19-2005 02:01 AM
djbob

O.P. RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon
Sorry, but I really don't see why this isn't possible as a plugin. As you said, Jabber is open source, and in my first post I gave a link to a few function libraries (http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml), in languages ranging from C++ to PHP. The compatibility to GTalk could be easily written.

I assume adding a tab is within the abilities of MSG+ modding, but please correct me if I am wrong. If I am correct, however, wouldn't it be simple to code the Jabber protocol into the tab? Of course, the UI and layout will require some coding, but otherwise I see no problem.

On the other hand, I am definetely not an expert in MSG+ modding, so I may definetely be incorrect.
10-19-2005 03:27 AM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
You might take a look at www.imtiger.com
It might sometime in the future have this feature.. :)...
Though Progress of this program have been very limited I think, it has really good potential...
Until now it only supports MSN, AIM and ICQ... But they promised that they will support lots of other protocols/services.. :)...
Check it out... Pray that they soon will release a new improved version...
10-19-2005 08:31 PM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by djbob
Sorry, but I really don't see why this isn't possible as a plugin.

You can't just put two things together and expect them to work :(
10-20-2005 12:29 AM
J-Thread

– / Male / –
It IS possible... But it is difficult... I'd rather see a msn addon for GTalk, so I've got al my MSN people in my GTalk list:D
10-20-2005 07:17 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: