What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Reasons why threads were closed

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Reasons why threads were closed
Author: Message:
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Reasons why threads were closed
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
It has everything with being lazy and not doing a mod job properly. Dont try to excuse the mods.
Excuse me, did I miss the memo which said that all moderators are to post a reason for closing a thread at all times?

quote:
I as a thread starter want to know why my thread was closed even if it clearly states in the rules. Its being lazy and not wanting to do the proper mod work.
And we are being lazy? You have not read the rules, you are not obeying by them and you expect us to read the rules for you and quote the paragraph which you are in violation of? Come on, get real. And "proper mod work"? Did I miss another memo?

The way I see it moderators and administrators always do their job. If posts are reported, we deal with them. If a thread needs to be closed, we close it. Consequently, if a thread is closed, there apparently exists a good reason for that. I checked all closed threads of the last month and they were all closed with a reason I could easily find.

If you disagree with a decision, report the closed thread and ask why. When I read the report I know I'll get back to you on it - or append a post to the thread stating the reason. I don't know about other mods - but then again, they don't have any obligation to get back to you anyway.

This post was edited on 11-05-2005 at 02:56 PM by Tochjo.
11-05-2005 02:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Reasons why threads were closed
quote:
quote:
This has very little to do with being lazy.
It has everything with being lazy and not doing a mod job properly. Dont try to excuse the mods.

In most cases it is very easy to see why a thread has been closed, 9 times out of 10 it is turning into a flame war between two people.

Furthermore, if mods were required to post a message every time they closed a thread, i'd bet my bottom pound that eventually they would be accused of trying to get their post count up.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
11-05-2005 02:56 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
And this thread should be closed after Tochjo's reply... because he said everything that needed to be said.
11-05-2005 03:09 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Reasons why threads were closed
quote:
quote:
Why?

For starters, it is useless to put "closed" in a new post, because everybody can see the thread is closed.
1st point I agree altho you kinda argue against yourself; why do you put a (non-direct) link to the Messenger Plus! homepage when everyone knows where/what it is and they can find the download there themselves?
Those two things are totally and obviously different. It doesn't contradict at all a link given as referrer...

If you are reading a thread, you obviously see that it is closed or not. There is absolutely no point in adding "closed" as a last post.

And people stumbling on these forums may not know the official homepage of plus. As a matter of fact search the forums and see for yourself, examples enough...

and "non-direct" link? as far as I see all links are proper direct links.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Furthermore, if mods were required to post a message every time they closed a thread, i'd bet my bottom pound that eventually they would be accused of trying to get their post count up.
Exactly... And this is done in another big messenger forum, and when I see such posts I always get the idea that they only want to beef up their own postcounts because it is very obvious that a thread is closed, you don't need to state it again.

and almost the same goes with those "moved" posts; although that is sometimes handy to know at which point a thread was moved.

This post was edited on 11-05-2005 at 03:46 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-05-2005 03:11 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
We're not asking for them to put "Closed" in every thread they closed. For the threads which are hard to figure out why it was closed, a simple reason posted at the end.

As for every thread closed in the last month having an easy to see reason, well I don't know. I can't bring up all closed threads easily. So I don't know for sure.

I just know some threads are hard to distinguish the reason why they are closed. And we are asking for you guys to put a simple reason at the end. We don't want to have to PM one of you every time.

So please take this into consideration; please!
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
11-05-2005 03:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
We're not asking for them to put "Closed" in every thread they closed. For the threads which are hard to figure out why it was closed, a simple reason posted at the end.
When I said "closed" posts I explicitly meant posts with only the text "closed" in them, as I'm sure riahc4 also meant the same...
eg:
* like this
* like this

I'm not talking about posts which give a reason in public. Although I also argumented before that such posts are already done if the reason isn't clear enough (eg: thus not obvious solved topics, bickering wars, illegal content, double threads,  etc...)

quote:
As for every thread closed in the last month having an easy to see reason, well I don't know. I can't bring up all closed threads easily. So I don't know for sure.
Go to the latest posts page, scroll thru the pages and click on each thread you'll see which has a closed icon...

----------------------

[VERY SLIGHTLY RELATED (and I want to get this of my chest)]
And why was joelm attacked and also given a neg rep for stating "closed" because he meant for him the topic was clear and obvisouly "solved" (which he was right upon IMO also) while regular people aren't attacked and voted neg when they do it (see this thread where two regulars did exactly the same)?
[/VERY SLIGHTLY RELATED]

This post was edited on 11-05-2005 at 04:20 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-05-2005 03:30 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

I don't think anybody on this forum has any right to say what the staff should be doing, or how they should be doing their job, maybe the administrators, but that is it... If they weren't good enough for the job, then they wouldn't be picked... The staff on this forum are better than they are on most forums, much more professional about everything.

I have looked at a load of closed threads, and each one that has been closed, it is pretty much obvious why they were closed. End of discussion, off-topic posting and flaming are quite frequent throughout the forum...
11-05-2005 03:36 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
we are asking for you guys to put a simple reason at the end. We don't want to have to PM one of you every time.

So please take this into consideration; please!
Glad to see it is also possible to phrase this nicely, instead of accusing the moderators of being lazy and not doing their job properly.

I guess I could add a post stating the reason in the future, however, don't expect it always on every closed thread. Ones that are very obvious e.g. not in accordance with the rules will most likely not have it.

This post was edited on 11-05-2005 at 04:14 PM by Tochjo.
11-05-2005 04:13 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
[VERY SLIGHTLY RELATED]
And why was joelm attacked and also given a neg rep for stating "closed" because he meant for him the topic was clear and obvisouly "solved" (which he was right upon IMO also) while regular people aren't attacked and voted neg because of it when they do it (see this thread where two regulars did exactly the same)?
[/VERY SLIGHTLY RELATED]

Agreed....

And about Traxors reply.... this is the only forum where people can come and actually feel welcome... I mean, honestly on most of the other forums out there people can flame other people and say shit and nobody does anything about it.... I think we're lucky to have the forum the way it is... and if the mods/admins don't feel like stating their reason, they don't have to.
11-05-2005 04:14 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
The staff on this forum are better than they are on most forums, much more professional about everything.
I wouldn't go that far...

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
When I said "closed" posts I explicitly meant posts with only the text "closed" in them, as I'm sure riahc4 also meant the same...
That's what I meant too.

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
Glad to see it is also possible to phrase this nicely, instead of accusing the moderators of being lazy and not doing their job properly.
Just saying what I have encounted here

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
I guess I could add a post stating the reason in the future, however, don't expect it always on every closed thread. Ones that are very obvious e.g. not in accordance with the rules will most likely not have it.
Glad we could come to some sort of an agreement. I hope it will last more than 5 mins.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
11-05-2005 04:37 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend