What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » how to inform members about translation

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
how to inform members about translation
Author: Message:
tomazb

– / Male / –
O.P. how to inform members about translation
Is there any way to inform all members from Slovenia that is out Slovene translation for Messeger Plus! ?
[Image: slovenia04.jpg]
11-23-2005 02:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: how to inform members about translation
I don't think so :-/
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
11-23-2005 02:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
tomazb

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: how to inform members about translation
Pity.
I thing this can be good idea, dont it?
[Image: slovenia04.jpg]
11-23-2005 03:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Yes, some changes might be needed for the translations. I heard Patchou might need to delete some of the less used languages from his setup in the next version because the filesize will get to big otherwise. Why not change the way translations are distributed.

• Only include English (and maybe a few of the most used languages) in the setup file).
  • When a user starts the MsgPlus! setup, connect to a tiny file on one of the MsgPlus! servers that has a list of all currently available translations.
  • Fill the language dropdown menu in the setup dynamically with the ones it got from the server.
  • Only download the languagefile the user selected during setup.

This way new translations don't need to wait until a next release, the setup file can be much smaller, saves bandwidth on the servers.

You won't reach all Slovenian users this way, just the one that do a install, but it's better then nothing. Hope Patchou considers it.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-23-2005 03:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Heyder

Dr. Heyder

49 / Male / Flag
Wink  Fantastic Idea !!!
(Y) This is a great idea!
The files of languages are very small, easily they can be downloaded on-line in the hour of the install process.
I hope there is not restriction of languages if this idea go a head, and the portuguese of Brazil can be part of this list!

Download de Brasilian translation HERE :dodgyomar:

Dr. Heyder (H)
BRasil
11-25-2005 01:35 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Only include English (and maybe a few of the most used languages) in the setup file).

When a user starts the MsgPlus! setup, connect to a tiny file on one of the MsgPlus! servers that has a list of all currently available translations.

Fill the language dropdown menu in the setup dynamically with the ones it got from the server.

Only download the languagefile the user selected during setup.

So pretty much you select what language of plus you want, and that's the language the installer is in and you don't pick between languages?
11-25-2005 02:00 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
So pretty much you select what language of plus you want, and that's the language the installer is in and you don't pick between languages?
From the outside everything will still be just the same as it is now. The only difference is that not all languagefiles are in the setup file anymore, when you select a language that is not in the setup it will be downloaded automatically.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-25-2005 08:23 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The idea is good (IMHO), but it is also a very old idea and suggested before.

The reason why it wasn't added before was because Patchou didn't wanted that Plus! connected to "the outside world" to avoid complains that Plus! "phones home with secret info". Dunno what his current position on this is though...

But also as suggested before: if he still feels that way, and to make everybody happy, I think a special dedicated page (part of the download page) which lists all these extra languages (and updates to official ones) would be very usefull.

As a matter of fact, I thought he once said he would do that (back in the time when the official homepage was being updated with localized versions). But I guess he either forgot about it or didn't had the time yet to implement it.

------------

quote:
Originally posted by Heyder
The files of languages are very small, easily they can be downloaded on-line in the hour of the install process.
The suggestion is not to automatically download all the complete translations, but that the user is presented with a list of extra available languages which he can download individually and use if he wants.

Also, language files are not small, they are relative big and take up a considerable amount of space. Hence one of the reasons why not-often-used, old, bad, or unofficial translations are not added or removed from the setup.

This post was edited on 11-25-2005 at 04:14 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-25-2005 04:04 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
The main problem, as Patchou said, is that when the user installs Plus!, if the server is down, the installation wouldn't be able to download the language files, and that's a thing Patchou dislikes.

However I like the idea of having the installation file with only the most used languages: english, spanish, french, portuguese, nederlands... and download the others from the site... I don't know what Patchou thinks about this....

Anyway, I think that a solution for this matter has to be found. I've always thought that a language doesn't take so much space in the installation. At the end, a language is just a txt file compressed with zip... and that's only 10/15 Kb... (or maybe a bit more) but not very much.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
11-25-2005 05:38 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I like the idea of having the installation file with only the most used languages ... and download the others from the site ...
That would make it worse IMO. Most people are not aware that they can get seperate languagefiles from the site manually. And you end up with the exact same problem... when the server is down, people will not be able to install Plus!.

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
When a user starts the MsgPlus! setup, connect to a tiny file on one of the MsgPlus! servers that has a list of all currently available translations.
When that file is not found because the server is down or whatever reason it could just display the languages that are included in the setup file.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-25-2005 05:57 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: