What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » how to inform members about translation

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
how to inform members about translation
Author: Message:
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: how to inform members about translation
It probably wouldnt work, or theres some major flaw in my thinking but..

Couldn't Plus! when installing or w/e find the system's language (from the registry perhaps?) and if it doesnt match the list of languages contained in the installer, maybe pop up a simple message giving the user a webpage with all the translation files (a forum post perhaps? and maybe an "official" page too, so if one server is down then at least they can try the other?)

Or maybe they can select "other" from a language list or something which does roughly the same thing.

I think it could work, but it would need better thinking through probably :P

;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
11-25-2005 05:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I like the idea of having the installation file with only the most used languages ... and download the others from the site ...
That would make it worse IMO. Most people are not aware that they can get seperate languagefiles from the site manually...
Unfortunately, that has already happened to the translations which were deleted about a year ago.

The link below is the thread I'm referring to.
Where are the pruned translations?

The simplest solution is to mention all languages Plus! supports in the installation window when the user is installing.
So, there's no need to connect to Plus! servers.
And the list of languages in an installer can be varied depending on the finished translations received by Patchou on translation due date.

Con: there might be an aesthetic problem: if the list grows larger and larger, the text wouldn't fit in the installation window.
Hence, the languages that are listed have to be national languages, no dialects.
quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
maybe pop up a simple message giving the user a webpage with all the translation files (a forum post perhaps? and maybe an "official" page too, so if one server is down then at least they can try the other?)
People, including me, could misinterpret the popup as an adware :p

quote:
Originally posted by tomazb
Is there any way to inform all members from Slovenia that is out Slovene translation for Messeger Plus! ?
I think the only way to inform people about your translation is by telling about your translation to your friends, and (hopefully) your friends will tell other people.

FYI, if Patchou has not changed the number, you need at least 10000 users regularly using your translation to get your translation listed in the installer.
If you can't get more than 10k, your translation will be buried forever in Plus! server waiting some persistent Plus! user from your country to find the translation. (Sorry about the metaphor, but it's true)
Scary, isn't it?

This post was edited on 11-26-2005 at 07:33 PM by Weyzza.
Registered 7638 days, 23 hours, 42 minutes, 22 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

11-26-2005 09:34 AM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
That would make it worse IMO. Most people are not aware that they can get seperate languagefiles from the site manually. And you end up with the exact same problem... when the server is down, people will not be able to install Plus!.

quote:

When a user starts the MsgPlus! setup, connect to a tiny file on one of the MsgPlus! servers that has a list of all currently available translations.

When that file is not found because the server is down or whatever reason it could just display the languages that are included in the setup file.
yes... i meant something like that...
quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
Couldn't Plus! when installing or w/e find the system's language (from the registry perhaps?) and if it doesnt match the list of languages contained in the installer, maybe pop up a simple message giving the user a webpage with all the translation files (a forum post perhaps? and maybe an "official" page too, so if one server is down then at least they can try the other?)
currently Plus! does that. When the installation starts, it gets the language of Windows' settings and starts the installation in that language, if available. If not, (i think) english is used.
It would be very easy to add an additional text that says that the language of Windows is not included in the installation of Plus and that (maybe) can be downloaded from the server.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
11-26-2005 09:00 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Well, lots of people on this community have websites, so i'm sure we can spare some bandwidth and space so there are allways translations availables in mirrors if the msgplus server is down..
11-27-2005 03:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Plus! has his own mirrors. And in the very rare case that the servers will be down, I think it is a bigger problem that the setup can't be downloaded from the main page than that languages can't be downloaded.

In short: server downtime isn't the issue and shouldn't be a big point.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-27-2005 03:07 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: