What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
Author: Message:
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
:rolleyes:
Lockpicking = legal ONLY IF THE LOCK IS YOUR OWN JUST AS THE LAW SAYS
actually you are allowed to lockpick someone's lock if they are in danger, or if they give you permission. Yes I know, Im repeating.

quote:
lou_habs also didn't read properly what Johny said and thus replied with something wrong.

Maybe not but I posted again, showing what I wanted to mean so dont go flaming me for it.

lockpicking =legal if you own it/have permission/someones gonna die if you dont
Knowing how to lockpick = 100% legal.
Stealing = 100% iligal.

edit:
quote:
And as far as I know Lou_habs isn't a locksmith....
there you go flaming me again. WHY ME?

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 11:44 PM by Lou.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
11-27-2005 11:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
thc2010

Revenge is a meal best served cold

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
WTF Cookie! that is what he's saying?  LOL! Your the one reading peoples qutes the way you want it to be read. If im bieng annoing to you, simply ignore my posts.

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 11:45 PM by thc2010.
[Image: glennlopez.png]
Click the image above to send me a message on MSN messenger via web browser.
11-27-2005 11:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
actually you are allowed to lockpick someone's lock if they are in danger
That's discussable in court.
quote:
or if they give you permission
written permission yes.
quote:
Knowing how to lockpick = 100% legal.
Unfortunatly
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
WTF Cookie! that is what he's saying?  LOL! Your the one reading peoples qutes the way you want it to be read. If im bieng annoing to you, simply ignore my posts.

dude, I'm seriously loosing my patience.... The reason why I constantly need to repeat stuff (in different ways) is because of your replies and because you constantly misinterpret stuff being said or quote only half the stuff being said which leads to incomplete information.

quote:
quote:
lou_habs also didn't read properly what Johny said and thus replied with something wrong.
Maybe not but I posted again, showing what I wanted to mean so dont go flaming me for it.
I didn't intended to flame you at all. Misreading can happen... (misreading all the time is something else :dodgy:)

quote:
quote:
And as far as I know Lou_habs isn't a locksmith....
there you go flaming me again. WHY ME?
:|  Since when is that flaming? aka: Since when is saying that you think that someone doesn't have a specific profession a flame?

This post was edited on 11-28-2005 at 12:08 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
I find making picks out of paperclips imposible to do... i've tryed them, mybe im just not experianced enought but they alwase seem to bend on me.. whats your say on this?
I've seen a documentary on lock picking and see people do it. But they were skilled, a group of people that did it for fun and even held contests. And even those skilled people took it quite some time. And of course it just applies to some types of locks.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-27-2005 11:46 PM
thc2010

37 / Male / –
Cookie, lets just call it a day and say were even, frankly i dont wanna flame on you for something stupid so lets call it a truce. Also, id like to thnk the people whose posted thier oopinion on lockpicking specialy cookie.. now I know how to argue my case to a teacher. Sieng that we already got our conclusion thanx to Louhabs i think its safe to close this thread if need be.

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
I find making picks out of paperclips imposible to do... i've tryed them, mybe im just not experianced enought but they alwase seem to bend on me.. whats your say on this?
I've seen a documentary on lock picking and see people do it. But they were skilled, a group of people that did it for fun and even held contests. And even those skilled people took it quite some time. And of course it just applies to some types of locks.

wow, they must be using stiff peperclips then, cuz for some resons, I cant give enough presure to push the 5'th pin without making the paperclip bend. Unless thier picking a simple padlock, cuz I only tryed it on a deadbolt

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 11:48 PM by thc2010.
11-27-2005 11:47 PM
illuzn

00 Dodge Viper GTS-R

– / Male / –
For those of you who are saying you are allowed to break into somebody's house because they are in danger you are actually incorrect. You will always need the person in possession of the land (be it through fee simple or lease) to grant you permission to enter the land (this is known as a fee simple).

Ambulance workers, firefighters, electrical board members and all other people who do legally enter your land actually have a statute granted easement onto your land which gives them permission to enter your land while performing their duty (to cut a long story short).

At least that is the case in Australia; the only thing which would change this in any common law (deriving from the British legal system) jurisdiction is statute which says otherwise. But on a side note, the person in possession would be pretty cruel to sue you for saving their life and in any case would probably receive only nominal damages of $1.

Oh yes, and the mere act of picking another person's lock is clearly illegal provided you don't have permission. This is because you would be commiting conversion. That is, performing an act to a chattel (a thing) which is adverse to the owner's possession of that chattel.

And if that wasn't clear enough, in the statute you quoted actually spells it out. Let me translate it to layman terms,
If you don't have a good legal excuse (which can be proved by anything you have on your person), This might allow you to break into somebody's house to save their life. But why pick the lock and waste precious time when you could smash the window and get in there quicker

have any object which is capable of breaking a lock on a house, vehicle, vault or safe; Yes, this includes say a screwdriver or even a paper clip

and it is reasonable to see that the object has previously been used, or is to be used to break into a lock This is probably the part of the test that would fail for say a screwdriver, but if there is proof that the screwdriver you are using was used to break into somebody's lock (I can't see how you reasonably can infer that somebody holding a screwdriver will in the future break into a lock)

then it is illegal and indictable offence for which you can be jailed for upto ten years although that would obviously depend on how serious the crime is. If the US/Canada is anything like Australia you would probably get a slap on the wrist punishment
[Image: signature.jpg]
11-28-2005 02:04 AM
thc2010

37 / Male / –
you can be jailed for upto ten years
Its actuly less than 10 years not atleast
quote:
is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

If the US/Canada is anything like Australia you would probably get a slap on the wrist punishment

I dunno about United States but in canada, you get like 3 years in jail for manslouger just by having legal aid... lol canada is alot more leanient towards criminals, Sad but its true...

And most of us like breaking into things using house hold items becuase you can dispost of them later on or even reuse them for your everyday task to cover up any evedance. ie: If you can pick a lock using bread then you can just eat the bread to get rid of the evidance.

This post was edited on 11-28-2005 at 03:23 AM by thc2010.
11-28-2005 03:19 AM
Snake

34 / Male / Flag
I think it should be illegal because you are breaking privacy of people.

What do you plan on doing, robbing a bank or something?

[Image: tongue.gif]
[Image: sig.png]
11-28-2005 04:08 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
Should be illegal... but they should make it a sport!.... I want a olympic gold medal for lockpicking! :banana:
11-28-2005 04:19 AM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: