What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Bug in the Messenger.

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Bug in the Messenger.
Author: Message:
Flatron

O.P. RE: Bug in the Messenger.
And the half of my contacts play this game with me?
12-28-2005 03:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Bug in the Messenger.
Please READ the posts above from Cookie and ShawnZ!

It is a function in some addons to MSN Messenger (such as the above quoted MessengerDiscoveryX) which changes your contacts name, font and font colour to match yours!

Thus when you get the message, it LOOKS like you sent it, hence the name "Imitate".

Thus if half your contacts are doing it to you, then it is more than likely they also have such a program installed. :)
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
12-28-2005 04:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Flatron
And the half of my contacts play this game with me?
Cant they all have MessengerDiscoveryX. It is quite popular you know :-/
(Annoying things like that usually are :dodgy: I personally dont have anyone like that on my list and someone who does that repeatedly .... :@)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
12-28-2005 04:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Flatron

I read those posts, but I beleive that they don't do that. I have contacts, who would tell on next day that that was a joke, and he made it with DiscoveryX.
12-28-2005 05:29 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Flatron
I read those posts, but I beleive that they don't do that. I have contacts, who would tell on next day that that was a joke, and he made it with DiscoveryX.
Cause then whats the use of pulling the joke. The joke is more fun if you take longer to realise it !!! Just go to them and tell them, i know you guys are using DiscoveryX.

That ought to stop it.

Posting a few logs wouldnt hurt. And btw, it it was a problem with messenger dont you think someone would have seen it by now. Millions of people use msn messenger day in and day out. Dont you think that in the past 8-9 months of its use, some one would have noticed and wouldnt microsoft have fixed it by now ?
Plus you analysed you packets. Shouldnt there be a packet showing data from a certain pc, to your pc and back ? (like shawnz said ... or whatever he said ....)

There are explanations to everything as long as you have an open mind. No need to jump to conclusions. DiscoveryX has had this feature for ages and all the regulars know it by now so (almost) no one uses it unless you dont know about the plugin.
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
12-28-2005 05:38 PM
Flatron

There was not other network traffic, but msn and korn (like poptray, checks mail in every 3 minutes).

I don't use DiscoveryX, but if I understand exactly, it only writes the nick as mine. But at me, the mail adresses was correct. my name - my adress, and contact's address as destination. And this appeared under win with messenger and under linux with aMSN too, so, that's not possible, that he found the same hole on my linux in 1 minute.

Often appears big bugs in programs, if the program is some days old, or some years old, and I think Microsoft tries to kepp his bugs in secret while he can. (think, how many people was before Newton, and only he could make the equation describes the gravity?).

My friends are better friends than play that joke for a long time. I know them, you not, so beleive, that some of they would tell me that.
12-28-2005 10:32 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Like people have said iver and over again, it's MDX! It changes the message packets to make them look like they're from you!
[Image: spartaafk.png]
12-30-2005 01:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
The whole purpose of MDX (Messenger Discovery X) is to fool any user who doesnt know about it :-/ Why cant you accept that :P
I give up !! :dodgy:
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
12-30-2005 01:52 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version