What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » sponsor adware

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
sponsor adware
Author: Message:
RenegadePuppy

O.P. sponsor adware
it keeps coming back no matter what. im going to go insane if it doesnt stay out of my pc.

heres what happens. i install it, AND CHECK "I REFUSE TO INSTALL THE SPONSOR SOFTWARE" or whatever. all is good. i restart PC. i have 5 icons on desktop, internet explorer is infected with toolbars and popups.. what the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i uninstall Messenger Plus and its spyware. its all gone, i reinstall... same crap happens either after someone else on my pc logs in or after i restart...

WHY DOES IT KEEP COMING BACK I DONT WANT IT I NEVER DID I NEVER CHOSE TO INSTALL IT YET IT PERSISTS TO INFECT MY PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please could someone help me, i really like using Messenger Plus its extremely handy, but its not worth having the bs.
[Image: edge.jpg]
12-23-2005 12:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: sponsor adware
quote:
Originally posted by RenegadePuppy
WHY DOES IT KEEP COMING BACK I DONT WANT IT I NEVER DID I NEVER CHOSE TO INSTALL IT YET IT PERSISTS TO INFECT MY PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you sure lol, read carefully, now did you close your internet broswer when uninstalling the sponsor? ;) that is a common problem
12-23-2005 12:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RenegadePuppy

O.P. RE: sponsor adware
well, im pretty fricken sure i didnt have any open (its only IE that appears to be infected...) the icons disappeared after i finished the uninstall. i even opened IE and the toolbar was gone. but after restart all the gayness is back..

really irritating.

does it have anything to do with having multiple people on this pc.. its a bit dodgy, i install it under my login. then i switch user and log in as my brother, and  theres no msn plus software installed. then i restart and theres all this crap under my login and i switch to him, he has the same crap and plus is installed

This post was edited on 12-23-2005 at 01:02 PM by RenegadePuppy.
12-23-2005 01:01 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Well, this is an annoying bug, it could be the case, unforuntly i have no idea how this could be fixed, I suggest you wait around until we get a repley helping you, i will e-mail you when a repley helping with this is posted if you want.
12-23-2005 01:06 PM
RenegadePuppy

thatd be great thanks.

ill have to keep Messenger Plus uninstalled for now :'(

popups/unwanted icons/toolbars that keep re-appearing makes me punch holes in doors and walls.

update:

interesting.. ive reinstalled plus and uninstalled it many times. usually when i uninstall it knows that the adware is uninstalled and asks me to enter that code to remove it. but this time (and a few times in past) it didnt.

maybe the adware has become independent of plus or something?

i just uninstalled msn plus and the adware is STILL on my pc, however i do know how to get rid of it. (install plus again and select to install the sponsor software, then uninstall all again and it will be gone)

also does it have anything to do with me installing an older version of plus ( i still selected NO to the sponsor software) then i used the help menu to update plus (selecting NO again to sponsor s.w.)

another note: i have been using same version of plus for ages, then all of a sudden i noticed this spyware on PC. took me ages to find out it came from msn plus. so then i uninstalled and reinstalled and got the problem i got now, which is same software keeps reappearing.

thats all i can think of at the moment that could be a possibly cause for this bug.

This post was edited on 12-23-2005 at 01:17 PM by RenegadePuppy.
12-23-2005 01:08 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Maybe these re-appearing icons and stuff are not the Plus! sponsor?
[Image: spartaafk.png]
12-23-2005 01:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
RenegadePuppy

nah, they are. because when the SW is temporarily removed, and i install Messenger Plus and its sponsor software, those icons appear, and the toolbar appears. then i uninstall, all it goes.

i do a fresh install, select no to software, all appears to be good.

then i restart pc, or log on as diff user and its back
ok.

i had Messenger Plus uninstalled. yet the sponsor software was still on my pc.

ive just downloaded the latest version. installed with sponsor software.

went to uninstall, but selected to uninstall sponsor software only. the icons have disappeared, the toolbar, gone.

lets hope when i switch user / log off / restart, they stay gone. if they do, i will be one happy puppy.

UPDATE

well, all i did was simply start>shutdown>restart. waited. logged on as myself. and BAM theres the icons and toolbars. i am one massacistic puppy right now.

when i go to remove msn plus. it doesnt give me the option to uninstall the sponsor software individually, i dont think it realises the software has installed itself. this is a serious problem i beleive because how can i be sure its ever removed from my PC?

This post was edited on 12-23-2005 at 01:18 PM by RenegadePuppy.
12-23-2005 01:16 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

Personally, I don't think it's messenger plus! that has you infected, I think you may have accidentally downloaded some other software and it's infected your system.

Try going to C:/Program Files/C2Media/ and seeing if there is an uninstaller in there, if there isn't, then Messenger Plus! isn't the issue.
12-23-2005 01:47 PM
RenegadePuppy

there is no C2Media folder.

i am quite certain it is MsgPlus that has me infected. ill do a test right now. the situation was as before, i had no spyware. i installed a fresh version of plus WITHOUT the sponsor software. all is good, no problems, i restart PC normally, log in, and the spyware appears. i have to reinstall Messenger Plus WITH the spyware inorder to successfully remove it.

i have removed it, now im going to restart PC without install plus at all.

UPDATE

son-of-a-*****.

i restarted and the icons appeared. WTF!

its still msn-plus's fault however, as these icons/toolbars clearly came from msn plus... this software though, seems to have gone and infected my pc and wont go away. now its personal. how the hell am i supposed to get rid of it.. sigh

i read that sticky thread on how to remove the software.

quote:
If you continue to experience problems after running an adware removal tool, please address your complains directly to the creators of the tool, neither I nor C2Media can be held responsible for the actions performed by another program.

ages ago, i did email C2media when i didnt know where it came from. i emailed them asking them how to remove the software, and i also wanted to know where it came from. they sent me some bs saying that they are not responsible for any harm because i read the "terms and conditions" when i installed their software... yeah right. they also sent me a link to download an executable file to remove the software (the same program that asks you to enter the numbers) and they also said to look in "add/remove programs" for any of the following:

'Search Plugin', 'Window Search', or 'Window Searching'.

none of those were there..

and i ran that program, i noticed the icons dissapeared, then about 2 seconds later they reappeared. i didnt touch anything they did it totally automatically...

help anyone?

This post was edited on 12-23-2005 at 02:04 PM by RenegadePuppy.
12-23-2005 01:52 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

Try a system restore for some time last week.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

That will take you back a week and the adware won't be installed.

However, you won't lose any files.
12-23-2005 02:05 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: