What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » CreateWindow very slow when Plus is loaded

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
CreateWindow very slow when Plus is loaded
Author: Message:
Beelzebub42

O.P. CreateWindow very slow when Plus is loaded
I'm developing a program unrelated to Messenger, in my program I can single step down to the first call to CreateWindowEx() and everything runs at full speed. But when I step over the CreateWindowEx() call it takes about 10 seconds to complete - it appears that loading MsgPlusLoad1.dll is what's taking the time, unload MsgPlus using the task manager and everything is fine. I get the same pause if I just run my program from with-in the IDE (Visual Studio 2003).

It appears to be some strange interaction between Visual Studio's debugger and MsgPlus - if I execute my program using Ctrl-F5 it runs at full speed.

Anybody got any ideas???

MsgPlus version 3.62.146
02-08-2006 11:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: CreateWindow very slow when Plus is loaded
Have a look at the following threads:
Problem for SW developers with last version "3.62.146"
Visual Studio & MsgPlusLoader

This post was edited on 02-08-2006 at 11:48 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
02-08-2006 11:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Beelzebub42

O.P. RE: CreateWindow very slow when Plus is loaded
I've tried following the advise on those two threads, but to no avail.

Hook method set to "Default - Forced" and the registry "Addins" entry is blank, additionally the only place the MsgLoader.DLL is mentioned is in the Software/Msgplus2/Patchou section.

Any more suggestions?
02-08-2006 02:59 PM
bleyblue

I'm also having the same problems (CreateWindow hanging for 'a few' seconds, while VS debugger is loading symbols for MsgPlusLoader.dll)  as the op. I've already tried all the solutions mentioned in the threads listed above - without success. I tried basically the same steps as the OP :
- Configuring Messenger Plus in default mode, rebooting a few times (still having this problem)
- Configuring Messenger Plus in default/forced mode, rebooting, again, a few times (still having this problem)

As Messenger Plus! is not in "alternate" hooking mode, there's really nothing in the AppInit_Dlls key @ [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]. Besides, I searched my entire registry for "MsgPlusLoader.dll" and "MsgPlusLoader1.dll", and the only result was in the messenger plus registry entry ("MsgPlusLoader.dll" in FileNameLoader key).

Also, I don't know if there's a difference, but sometimes the CreateWindow call stalls the debugger loading "MsgPlusLoader1.dll" instead of "MsgPlusLoader.dll".

Of course, running my program without the debugger (Ctrl F5) eliminates the problem.

Note that it's really the CreateWindow(Ex) call that makes the debugger stall (isolated it trough breakpoints).

I'm using VC08 (Visual Studio Express), Plus! 3.6.146, Windows XP SP2.

Any possible solutions are appreciated.

This post was edited on 03-02-2006 at 03:23 PM by bleyblue.
03-02-2006 03:15 PM
Beelzebub42

O.P. RE: CreateWindow very slow when Plus is loaded
The best solution I've found is to terminate the msgplus.exe in the task manager - seems to make no difference the plus's functionality and it stops the hang
03-02-2006 04:51 PM
bleyblue

I'll definitely try that. Still kind of a hack though.
03-02-2006 05:28 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
well, the fact that your debugger is searchign for the symbolds of msgplus is normal and that will always take time. The real question I guess is: does it take extra time each time you create a window or only the first time?

I'm pretty sure this is a debugger issue.
[Image: signature2.gif]
03-02-2006 06:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
bleyblue

It only takes time on the first CreateWindow call, which seems logical, since after the call, the symbols are supposedly "loaded", so the debugger doesn't "waste time" to search for them. I only had problems with this debugger with messenger plus so far. At startup, the debugger loads [or try to load] all the symbols corresponding to the dll's used by my application (kernel32.dll, winmm.dll and so on - most of them don't have symbol files). The point is, the whole loading doesn't even take a tenth of a second, whereas the search for msgplusloader/msgplusloader1.dll's symbols can take up to 15 seconds (and usually not less than 5 or 6, which is quite annoying).

This problem has only appeared since [I think it's 3.60.144, well, I had this problem before upgrading to 3.62.146].

I'm using visual studio 8.0. To be sure it was'nt the debugger, I tested creating a window in a blank visual studio 2003 project (as far as I know, the only link between the two debuggers is that they're from microsoft), and the problem is still here. Are you sure there's no hook when I set msgplus to Default or Default-forced ? Anyway, I'd be happy to test again with any debugger you like (remember that the hang happens when the debugger tries to load msgplus's dlls). Thanks for your reply.

Update: If that may help, this is what my debugger can say when I watch the modules loaded :
[Image: modules.PNG]
Note that your module is only loaded at runtime, on the first CreateWindow call.

Yet another update : the function "MessengerPlusGlobalHook" from msgplus...1.dll is called whenever I use "CreateWindow" (verified, just set up a breakpoint in assembly code). If that's normal, feel free to ignore this remark.

This post was edited on 03-02-2006 at 07:52 PM by bleyblue.
03-02-2006 07:17 PM
bleyblue

Thank you wtbw, now everything's back to normal. Heh, I'll take care not to use network paths for pdb's as from now. Thanks again, now I can use Messenger Plus while debugging !
03-02-2006 11:24 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Why the hell do you have this path embedded in the release builds of the software? this path is not even valid on my own computer.

Well then, sorry about that, I'll make sure this does not happen with future updates. Now at least we know where the problem comes from, I just have to find why the hell VC created such a path :p.
[Image: signature2.gif]
03-03-2006 05:33 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: