What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live

Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live
Author: Message:
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live
I'm sure you are all wondering, what exactly does Messenger Plus! Live have in store for the ten million users+? Well I'm going to introduce you to the new product as well as give some detailed information on the new product. Keep reading!

First off, lets look at the installation. With a brand new product, you can expect a new user interface. Plus! Live has been completely re-designed from scratch. Patchou, Guido, and a to my knowledge a new designer Nicholas has made a huge face lift to Plus!. The new user interface is very clean, minimalistic, and matches Windows Live Messenger awesomely. The installation is quite the same as the old Messenger Plus!, but I've noticed a very considerable difference in the install time of the new Plus! Live. The sponsor package is still included in Plus! Live, but is completely and totally optional like always. You still have the ability to choose where to install the program. There is also various changes in the layout which you can see from the screenshots (See bottom of the post ;)).

Lets talk about features, we know everyone wants to know what's the latest things coming from Plus! Live. What's my favorite new feature? Some of you have probably already seen this via beta tester's screename's, but let me tell you more. My favorite new feature of Plus! Live is screenname and personal message gradients. Gradients are a fade of a color from light to dark, dull to bright. Besides that, we all know what you all have been anticipating, XML logs (h). The way Plus! logged in the past has completely changed in Plus! Live. You can now choose to save your logs in XML files which means you keep color, emoticons, winks, custom emoticons, hand written pictures, and all that good stuff in a XML log that looks freaking awesome! A new Log Viewer has been created to view these new log files, as well as TXT log files. Another new feature is you have the ability to use BBcode formatting instead of IRC formatting. Another major feature that was removed from Plus! some time ago has been added yet again. Who can guess it ;)? Wait I'll just tell you, polygamy. However, I'm well aware that this does NOT patch your WLM installation so no worries. Oh yeah, in the conversation window there is now a color chooser ;).

Wait, one of the most important things I've forgotten to mention! Messenger Plus! Live no longer uses an EXE to run (H)! Instead it uses DLLs and attaches itself into your local memory. Some of you are thinking, WOAH more memory usage. This, however, is not the case. Although there is not a way to determine how much RAM Plus! Live is using, I can tell you that I've not encountered major RAM usage at all (It will tie in with the WLM RAM usage).

I'm not done yet; keep reading ;).

Messenger Plus! Live will no longer have plug-ins. Wait, don't fret I have another surprise for you. Plus! Live is featuring a new scripting feature that will add immense possibilities for scripts and other add-ons. I'm not a scripting person myself, so I've asked a few people to explain the new functionality of the scripting feature.

What other things can I tell you guys? Well I do have to spill the beans and tell you something that you are not going to like. With the first release of Plus! Live, not all features are going to be included. This should come as to no surprise because Plus! Live is a COMPLETE re-code, that has to be thoroughly tested to make sure that the release comes as non-buggy as possible. I can assure you though, that the major features will be included :) (Tabbed Chatting, Custom Sounds, Logging, Messenger Lock, Contacts on desktop, etc etc). You can expect full functionality and all features to be exposed in later builds of Plus! Live.

With all of this said, as a beta tester here are my views:

The new Messenger Plus! is going to be the best release yet. The new features that are being added, or already added, are going to be a great hit as well as a opportunity for developers to re-think ideas for their plug-ins. The overall look of Plus! Live is freaking awesome and I have no complaints about that. I must mention, the user interface color of Plus! Live will change as you change the color of WLM (h). I personally think that was a awesome idea, but I'm not really sure if we're going to be seeing this exact design with the next release of WLM (Which should be the public release, scheduled for late April). Tabbed chatting is better than ever, and works very very smooth. It has had some major improvements, and I'm very pleased with it.

Now for the good stuff, the screenshots :grin:

Plus! Live Installation1
Plus! Live Installation2
Plus! Live Installation3
Plus! Live Installation4
Plus! Live About
Contact list + Plus! Color Gradients
Plus! Live Preferences 1
Plus! Live Preferences 2
Plus! Live Preferences 3
Plus! Live Preferences 4
Plus! Live Preferences 5
Plus! Live Preferences 6
Plus! Live Preferences 7
Plus! Live XML Logging + Log Viewer
Conversation + Plus! Live Color Chooser

Notes: This post is merely my views, opinions, and looks about things. We've received permission to post this information. Do NOT request links to the beta, or request someone to send it to you. You cannot sign-up for the beta. We do not know when Plus! Live is going to be released. We don't know exactly what features aren’t going to be included.

Other than that if you have any questions regarding Plus! Live, please post them here and I or others will try to answer them. If you have any suggestions for features I've discussed, feel free to post those also :).

Feel free to spread this information around news websites, but please link back or give credit to this post (I would have posted this on my own website, but the server is offline :^)).
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
03-30-2006 05:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live
Excellent Post RebelSean...Theres gonna be so many of these, and they're all great.
03-30-2006 08:08 AM
chuckstr

well with all these posts showing information about plus live does this mean that it will be relased soon or is this just makin people want it more
03-30-2006 10:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by chuckstr
well with all these posts showing information about plus live does this mean that it will be relased soon or is this just makin people want it more
Just making people want it more :p

Plus! Live won't be released to the public until at least the release of WLM non-beta
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
03-30-2006 10:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Stef

Stef-san

38 / Male / Flag
It Looks Great :D i love the new Design and Features.
The new feature, that you can write your own script ist fantastic (H)
- [ Live Messenger 9.0 Beta Tester ] -
03-30-2006 10:23 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
Didn't think it was confusing at all tbh?..... But that was a very well written summary of it Sean! Can't wait for Plus! Live now.... and I'm interested in Scripts and how they work :p.....

Also... the new way of hooking seems completely different also.... Is it more reliable than the old way?
03-30-2006 12:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live
quote:
Originally posted by groessl35

Also... the new way of hooking seems completely different also.... Is it more reliable than the old way?

Indeed :). I wonder when everyone was gonna catch on to my signature awhile back "Goodbye EXEs, welcome new hooking methods" :dodgy:!
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
03-30-2006 01:25 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
You testers are just making us lick our lips hehe jj, by seeing more and more screenshots you can see the great work all the designers/testers are doing :) keep it up patchou and fo :)
...there used to be a signature here :)
03-30-2006 01:25 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
You testers are just making us lick our lips
Aint that the point :P

Nice write up Sean :)

btw guys ... trust us, MP!L is going to be hawt!!!
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
03-30-2006 01:41 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
You testers are just making us lick our lips
Aint that the point :P

btw guys ... trust us, MP!L is going to be hawt!!!

Hehe i guess thats a good point
i think by reading all these posts by mess.be and on this forum we can see how awesome MPL is going to be :), future is good for MPL :)
Hehe and i know its off subject but i saw one of ur userbars...COME ON CHELSEA :p

This post was edited on 03-30-2006 at 02:10 PM by Eddie.
...there used to be a signature here :)
03-30-2006 02:08 PM
Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: