What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Eliminate sounds around you

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Eliminate sounds around you
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Eliminate sounds around you
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
I believe the noise cancelling headphones work by using a microphone to capture input, invert it to create an anti-phase sound then add it to the output sound from the music device.
Nope, they contain absolutely nothing electronical. They are just good insulated pods.

Even if they contain electronics with a microphone etc, it wouldn't work at all! As said, the process of inverting sound like that is pure theory and even in lab conditions this is extremely hard to pull off. And this said, it even only works with very simple and known frequencies and amplitudes. Even simply speech or the sound of a machine contains hundreds if not thousands of unknown frequencies and amplitudes.

quote:
In my opinion these things are probably dangerous
They are absolutely extremely safe! In fact, they are especially made for safety purposes :/

In fact, they should even be used by children when they go with their parents to some concerts or going to watch an airshow or something.

quote:
you'll see kids with them in a couple of years walking across roads getting killed because they don't look and can't even hear the cars coming.
ermm... obviously such use can be dangerous, but that isn't the fault of those earphones. You might as well say that putting your fingers in your ears and walking like that across the street is dangerous.

In that aspect, a crayon is dangerous too, you can pull someone's eye out with it...

quote:
Anyway, going back on topic - my advice would just be to find some calming music and play it really loud
It wouldn't be calming anymore...

Also, the brain will not be at ease, no matter what type of music you play. Unconciencly your brain must work hard to filter out the load noise (no matter if it is "calming" music or music you like to hear or machine noise or anything else). It will _always_ be a distraction, even if you don't realize it or think it isn't.

This post was edited on 05-11-2006 at 12:44 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-11-2006 12:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Eliminate sounds around you
They let you use music and headphones during an exam? You might aswell have put answers or things to memorise what you need onthere...

:dodgy:
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-11-2006 12:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Eliminate sounds around you
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Nope, they contain absolutely nothing electronical. They are just good insulated pods.
These aren't noise *cancelling* ones, only reducing. Although that in theory could work to cancel, assuming you could get a vacuum between the ear drums and the air (but hasn't been done yet). I had a pair of Sony headphones which emitted antiphase noises which worked pretty well... until they got wet, after that they added some dodgy sounds.

quote:
In that aspect, a crayon is dangerous too, you can pull someone's eye out with it...

Well yeah, but kids *do* walk across the street with headphones in, I've seen a few nearly run over with normal headphones, if one of them hadn't heard the cars horn he'd probably be dead.

quote:
Also, the brain will not be at ease, no matter what type of music you play. Unconciencly your brain must work hard to filter out the load noise (no matter if it is "calming" music or music you like to hear or machine noise or anything else). It will _always_ be a distraction, even if you don't realize it or think it isn't.

I don't know if it's scientific or not, this definetly works for me - the noise of something constant from one source is easier to block out than that of lots of people chatting - regardless of whether my brain realises it's there, it's still better for concentrating.

As for calming music... I used to listen to stuff like early U2, etc. It kinda sucks, but it's pretty easy to listen to.

And Sunshine, I think he means when he's revising - usually examination rooms are totally silent (except for builders working on the school outside - but that's only in my case ;)).

EDIT: Spelling + Found A Link (here)

This post was edited on 05-11-2006 at 01:09 PM by andrewdodd13.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
05-11-2006 12:59 PM
zaher1988

Inseperable

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Eliminate sounds around you
yes sure while revising :P not in class:P
05-11-2006 01:02 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »