What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Gmail with MSN

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Gmail with MSN
Author: Message:
DamianWarS

RE: Gmail with MSN
When you click the inbox button or link or whatever in messenger it just opens the default mail client that is set in windows.  This is set in the internet properties at the program tab (run command:control inetcpl.cpl @0,5).  gmail isn't an option here but a reg hack will add it.

Once the reg hack is done open internet properties and at the program tab change the email combo box to the new gmail item and your done.

Here is the reg hack... copy it into notepad and save it as a .reg file.  Then run it and you're done!

quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail]
@="Google GMail"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\shell\open]
@="Google GMail"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\shell\open\command]
@="rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler http://www.gmail.com"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Google GMail\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\gmail.ico"
revised with added quote tag to make it more readable

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 04:57 PM by DamianWarS.
06-25-2006 05:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
00fez

40 / Male / –
After running the .reg file, the gmail option appears, but nothing happens when I click on the mail button in wlmessenger. I don't know if having firefox as default broswer has anything to do with that...
06-25-2006 07:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DamianWarS

i just got wlmessenger and this hack doesn't seem to work with it, but it worked great in 7.5 with firefox too.  My passport login or now live login is a gmail account and it seems with or without the hack clicking "my email inbox" does nothing at all and it doesn't seem to matter if its with internet explorer or firefox.  wlmessenger must have disable this feature for non-hotmail users.

functions that can't handle gmail as the default tend to give an error message.  like windows yells at me if I right click something and "send to" it to a mail recipient saying something about my default mail client can't handle that request.  wlmessenger maybe has the same error but since its in beta maybe they haven't really captured that error number so it just does nothing instead of crashing the program.  Maybe once other releases of wlmessenger come out it will work

at least this hack sets gmail as your default windows email client which means any application that opens an email will open gmail so its not all that bad.
06-25-2006 11:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
00fez

40 / Male / –
Yeah, being the default thing is pretty useful. Hopefully someone will write a script or release some sort of hack to enable this. oh well, thanks anyway!
06-26-2006 12:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: